StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

?Procedures for Accreditation of Baccalaureate and GraduateBrightNursing
?Procedures for Accreditation of Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Programs? and also the ?STANDARDS FOR ACCREDITATION OF BACCALAUREATE AND GRADUATE NURSING PROGRAMS?. One point that really stuck out to me was, ?CCNE ACCREDITATION: A VALUE-BASED INITIATIVE CCNE accreditation activities are premised on a statement of principles or values. These are that the Commission will: Foster an educational climate that supports program students, graduates, and faculty in their pursuit of life-long learning?. To me this says it all
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: B+, Individual Value: F
The Lab and Simulation Lab in the schoolBrightNursing
The Lab and Simulation Lab in the school is run poorly. We are to buy a 100 dollar nursing kit that comes with supplies that will be used in lab; for example a Foley catheter, secondary and primary tubing and 1000 ml NS bags and 100 ml IVPB. Although it is nice to have our own supplies, it is my understanding that the school should provide us with all needed supplies and avoid the students from additional expense. There is a lack of supplies and organization in the lab. We would have stations in the lab to rotate to; adjunct and full time faculty members were not sure what we were supposed to be doing on a specific day. There is a lack in communication between the faculty members. One faculty member would say one thing and one would say another. We were all getting mixed information from most faculty members, information that would be important for exams and our future careers. There was no standard they followed; a large portion of information was off the top of their heads and not by our textbooks or what NCLEX would require. Lab was always overcrowded and a group that was not participating in a simulation was sitting on the side with no specific task at the time. There is a lack of infusion pumps, IV and IVPB, normal saline bags, primary and secondary tubing and correct simulation medication. We ?make believe? half the time rather than perform the skill because of confusion, an unorganized scenario or lack of supplies.

I am concerned about the intentions of the faculty members and whether they really do want us in the program or are solely concerned about their own NCLEX pass rates and reaccreditation. I am concerned our voice as a class is muffled. I am concerned that I am paying so much money for a less than par education and unmerited mental stress. I am concerned the faculty members do not treat the students equitably or with compassion, in some instances. I am concerned the school and program looks better on paper than they actually do in their actions and with all communication that is not on record.Please understand there are other options for Nursing Schools on Long Island, inquire about them first before looking at NYIT. The nursing school needs a wake up call, the institution does not deserve accreditation.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, Individual Value: D-
NYIT is a backwards, pitiful excuse of aFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
NYIT is a backwards, pitiful excuse of a college. The full time faculty in the Fine Arts department were without a doubt the most under-qualified, self-absorbed bunch of trash you will ever find in any institution. They had no functional skills whatsoever. I was supposed to be getting a degree in animation, but none of my full time faculty had worked a single day of their lives, in any capacity, in the field of animation. They were all meddling art theorists with pitiful careers at low level, postmodern group shows and galleries. Even though this is what they claimed to be good at not a single one had any name recognition in the NY gallery scene. They taught solely to their interests like sound art and non-figurative digital sculpture. Many of them couldn't even draw in basic perspective and none of them could draw the human form realistically at all. None of this was helpful as you can imagine. Yuko Oda the "technology coordinator" was practically brain dead. I watched her cry in my senior project class after she couldn't get a tutorial from the book to work and had to have other students assist her through it. It was later exposed that she stole work from the training website Digital Tutors and presented it as her own. DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL HERE FOR FINE ARTS ANIMATION!
The New York Institute of Technology