StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

DO NOT I reapeat DO NOT waste yourBrightCommunications
DO NOT I reapeat DO NOT waste your time money or effort comming to NYIT. It is a waste of time bullshit school with nothing to do. When i say nothing i mean that students go to school go to class then go back to the dorms and sleep ALL DAY. NYIT has no clubs programs nothin If your g believe me ive looked for them. IF your looking for a college experince this is not the place for you. Also if your not indian this is not the place for you the school is 50% indian maybe more. The dorms are not on campus so you have to wait for a unrelieable shittle bus which usually is the reasons why most students are late. The campus that we do live on is SUNY old westbury and i find it amusing that they pay about 70% less than we do and have all types of clubs flyers and things goin on. All and all nyit sucks ass dont come here me and alot of my classmates are trasfering as soon as humanly possible.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: B, Education Quality: F
I don't understand why everyone is so negitiveNot so brightCommunications
I don't understand why everyone is so negitive about this school. It is what you make of it, I am from new Jersey and I dorm in the clark st. residence and it's so much fun. How can you now have anything to do in the manhattan campus when you are surrounded by a beautiful city! If i wanted to I could go out every night there are always things to do. Students really need to learn to be alot more positive about the school and things would get better. Most of these people here are lazy and don't feel like doing work that's why they say it sucks. Just for the record I am not indian and who cares? Most of the reason why we have so many indians is because we have a campus in India! And China so put 2 and 2 together..retards! The programs here are competitive and good, as long as your a good student.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: D+
I am wasting my money and my time.BrightCommunications
I am wasting my money and my time. Why do I feel this way? Read on.
For years I dreamed of going to college after dropping out of high school due to situations beyond my control. Following advice from a very successful family member I knew I was going to get a degree in Television production from Suffolk County Community College (SCCC), and I did. By January of 2006 I got my G.E.D and enrolled, while my graduating class was still waiting to graduate that June.

Everything went according to plan and I graduated SCCC with a 3.5 GPA. I got a job working at Rainbow Network Communications making about 40k a year before I even finished school. Many of the students I met in SCCC received jobs in the broadcasting industry before they even graduated.

When speaking to my family member for advice I was told to get another degree (4 year) in Communication Arts to qualify for better jobs down the road. I started the transferring process, was able to transfer all 69 of my credits from SCCC, and was able to save $8,000 with a transfer scholarship since I had a 3.5. Things were looking great!

Until I went to the school.
In order to make a schedule, I had to go through the advisement process which was horrible. I spoke to Maureen Robinson who set me up with a schedule and told me to go to the registrar office to show them a piece of paper that she signed off on so that they could register me for the classes. When I got to the registrar and gave them the piece of paper they told me they could not register me for any of the classes because they were full. I spoke to Maureen again, got a new sheet with new classes and once again they told me they couldn't register me because the classes were full.

After seeking advisement for the third time, this time with Prof. Anthony Piazza because Maureen Robinson was busy, I really started to hate this school.

Anthony Piazza was rude to me as he advised me for classes. When I told him I had a job at Rainbow Network Communications doing sports television work and had to be there at 4 PM each day for live events, he told me that would "eventually become a problem" and asked me why I was going to school when I already had a job in the industry. He told me "Most of the students here don't have jobs."

After successfully registering my classes (Third attempt was a success) I was able to see the students that go to this school. The campus is full of students near my age (I'm 21) who, unlike me, live with their parents and work near minimum wage jobs while their parents pay for their tuition and probably most of their living expenses. Most of the students were lazy and unmotivated when it came to school work, and the professional mentality that existed at SCCC was not there at all. The mentality of the program didn't apply to me as I take this type of work seriously and do have a very good job in the industry already.

A typical 5 class semester for me costs, after subtracting the amount of scholarship money I receive and the amount of money my job grants me for going to college, I pay around $7,000 plus the costs of books. I am a couple of weeks away from completing my first semester here and I can honestly say I feel as if I have wasted my money.

I've learned the same things I learned at SCCC ($2,000 per semester) and nothing new. Most of the time I find myself arguing with the professors who try to tell me the standard operating procedures or terminology used in the industry that I am familiar with because I do after all work in the television business 5 days a week, unlike them.

The experience continues to be disastrous as I've been unable to register for next semesters courses because I need to once again seek advisement and I really don't want to talk to those rude people ever again in my life. This is unlike SCCC where you were able to register for classes using the schools web site.

Some of my classmates are people I recognize from SCCC who work jobs in the industry, but everyone I met at NYIT is still working their variety of supermarket jobs and mooching money off their parents.

Even with the lack of stability in this economy I'd rather put my $7,000 each semester in STOCKS then in paying for TUITION at this place.I hate NYIT.

1st Year Male -- Class 2010