StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

This school is a scam.Quite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
This school is a scam. I had some classes (with Terry Nauheim) where the professor didn't show up for about a quarter of the classes. I had other professors (Robert Smith) who taught us practically nothing because they were busy ranting about aliens and psychedelic drugs. The web design class (probably the most important class for graphic design students) taught me literally nothing (thank you, Sandra Villareal) and the admissions office was completely uncooperative and condescending, treating me like a chore, and not a paying customer. Every semester I was there at least one of my classes was cancelled last minute, which did, one some occasions, make me miss crucial material, or have to do freshman intro classes on my last semester. Horrible college experience, they basically just suck all the money they can out of you and hand you a second rate, sloppy diploma.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
I tried to like this school.BrightArt & Design Department
I tried to like this school. I really did.
I'm a graduate student in the Art department. The reason why I applied to NYIT was their huge array of classes they listed in their course catalog. I got into one other very well-known art school, but chose NYIT because they offered me full financial aid, and the program seemed pretty good in general.

My first semester was pretty decent. I hardly slept, and worked very hard. It was stressful, but a good stress. My second semester was another story. I had one required class where I literally did NOT LEARN ONE SINGLE THING. And in my field (Graphic Design) this would have been a very important class. The professor, while nice, talked about himself, politics, etc. Nothing about the course.

One major problem with the Art department is that they offer the same courses over and over. Like I said, in their catalog, they have tons of classes. But the same courses they offered last Fall, they're offering this Fall. I've emailed the department head because every student I've talked to complains about the lack of classes, and nothing is being done. He said, "If we offer too many classes, they won't be filled up." I'm a Graphic Design MFA student, I don't want classes in drawing. I want Design classes, and my classmates feel the same way. But they're not listening. Also, there are 3 or 4 liberal art classes that are required in the MFA program. I've taken some of them, and I've learned this stuff in Undergrad. We should have straight studio classes at the Masters level.

I think, if run properly, the program could be successful. The Undergrads have TONS of classes, whereas we have a handful, if that. The dept. head should have a meeting with the MFA students and hear us out. But I guess that would be too much trouble.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Surrounding City: A+, Innovation: D+
This school is utter shit.Quite BrightBiology
This school is utter shit.
Non of the faculty wish to help you. I was failed in Physics two for going the extra mile because my professor didn't like how I presented my lab work when in fact it was more professionally done than my classmates. He just didn't want to put in any extra effort going through it.

My friends and I were stopped by security and harassed because we looked "suspicious" for staring at cars as we walked past them. We were walking through a parking lot after we parked in the back.

One of my friends had his car tires slashed on campus.
Cheating is rampant, 90% of the students here are dumb as fuck.
Faculty doesn't care about you, especially the bursar and registrar. Even Financial Aid office doesn't really care. The reason they sit behind glass and ask you to e-mail them is so they can deny whatever you need and force you to pay extra fees and you can't do anything about it.

I stayed here two semesters and got stuck for 4 years. I might not even graduate on time. This school is the worst experience you can ask for in a higher education. They don't accept credits from other schools and no other school will accept their credits.

Security here can't even jump start a car, they wont give students rides to their cars (unless you're a girl at night). They are RUDE and pretend to be the law. They park in handicap spots, fire lanes and block student vehicles in regardless of a students situation.Stay away. They give out a scholarship to EVERYONE. Dumb kids pay more, that's really how it works, you would be better of at any other school. Believe me.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012