StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

Graphic Design:BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Graphic Design:
Ok so I may be late with this post. I have been here for a two years. I have attended both campuses....manhattan and Long Island....PLEASE if you are in the arts go to manhattan.

Majors:
If youre not intrested in art or architecture or engineering, go to another place. Every other major is half assed and not worth it. I dont know why they even have all those other majors.

finacial Aid:
Pretty good if your record is all straight, if there is one thing wrong, then its a big process. Very easy to get a scholarship, I had a 3.0 GPA and I have a 10,000 scholarship. Maintain your grades, which is not very hard

Classes:
I hate every other class but art class so this is bias. I didnt enjoy any of my other classes and when you get into math and science, the teachers dont really know english. you dont have to try very hard for a A except in art and architecture classes and engineering.

Friendliness:
The people are not SUPER friendly but they will do if you need someone to hang out with occasionally, I dont see lasting friendships and the only friendships I have developed is with people I knew before or met on the first day. The people in Ow are NOT at all friendly...they are jerks and the most part indian....lets be honest...indian people are not nice if you are not indian. some are very snooty and expect that everyone is getting by withh their parent's finacial help.

Competitive:
A boy walked up to me,looked a my project and told me I was trying to hard...that says alot that means he is a lackluster student. Like him, The people are not at all competitive, and not that talented. if you are a great artist, you will feel you are Michaelangelo in this school. No one really tries and im convinced no one really has any artistic talent. So i feel like that cheapens the school...everyone thinks they can be a graphic designer, being a good one is hard to acheive.

faculty:
My art classes have people in the industry, they are not as great as one would expect. they also could care less whether you live or die. BUT some are exceptional, but they dont really challenge one to think. You end up not doing something great, just something that will appease your teacher. I have learned alot by self growth, not necessarily teaching. The teachers of all the prereqs are bullshit. Those classes will drive anyone crazy, the teachers are ridiculous and the classwork is remedial.\

Old Westbury:
Dont EVER set foot there or dorm there, its a waste of time and energy if you dont do Architecture. Also if u must attend there learn to drive, getting around that campus without a car is impossible. It felt like highschool, with cliquey people and super immature students. finding friends is impossible that is why so many people leave the first year (that includes EVERY one of my friends)

Manhattan:
Its better, but not the best. More friendly and WAY more things going on, tickets to broadway plays, dozens of food places, career seminars, gallery reviews, MANY computer labs, and lest i say it semi decent boys. There is also central park right outside and for arch students in the fifth year a very beautiful studio. The people I have met are VERY nice and so far I have little complaints.

Before deciding to attend think of what you REALLY want out of a college. DO you want the typical college life? If so then you wont find it here. In manhattan you probably wont find any sort of 'movie like college' really. I have nothing to compare to, so i wouldn't know what a great teacher is, maybe I have had some. NYIT is good with technology but Im still unsure how this university ranks in the buisness world.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Social Life: D-
The school is (to put it mildly) notQuite BrightEconomics
The school is (to put it mildly) not too good. The campus is extremely depressing, facilities are sub-par (to say the least!), students attend class and immediately leave, because there is NO social life or academic life on campus. To sum it up, the school does little to foster an "academic feel" and a sense of "wanting to belong". School spirit is nonexistant and with good reason.
4th Year Male -- Class 1994
Surrounding City: B+, Campus Aesthetics: F
NYIT is one of the top colleges inPsychology
NYIT is one of the top colleges in the New York Metro area, with campuses in long island and the city. NYIT has 100% only helped me, definetly not hurt me. I recommen to both HS and college students to do what they say, and say what they do, If you love a particular major, go for it. Success is in your path if you love something. I dont regret at all graduating from NYIT, Thanks, Victor
The New York Institute of Technology