StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

Total Grad Surveys 31
Females 11
Males 20
Avg years at University 1.6
Research Quality C+ (5.7)
Research Availability B (6.6)
Research Funding B (6.7)
Graduate Politics B- (6.0)
Not Errand Runners B- (6.5)
Degree Completion C+ (5.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.1)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.6)
Competitiveness B- (6.3)
Education Quality B (6.8)
Faculty Accessibility B (6.8)
Useful Research B (7.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.2)
Friendliness B- (6.3)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.6)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.5)
University Spending B (6.6)
Extracurriculars B- (6.5)
Scholastic Success B (6.6)
Surrounding City A- (8.5)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.6)
Degree CompletionC+
Surrounding CityA-
Avoid the college as mush as possibleAug 12 2021Other
Avoid the college as mush as possible. The faculty cares only for themselves. They will discriminate on any student, even go as far as to frame a student if they do not agree with them. The college does not grade academically during your undergrad degree they grade you based off of the review you give. The review's are supposed to be secret till the grade's are submitted but the faculty break's this rule and hurt's student's grade's based off of review's.

The instructor's stalk student's on and off campus as well as online. They keep record's of your handwriting this is called graphology and if you go against the school on any forum or site they will track you to frame you for a crime. They where sued by a former med student and called them on campus and called the police accusing the student of being a terroirst when they where not. The charges where dropped but so was the court case the student lost everything.

On campus you are stalked by security they have paid off duty officer's and I would not be surprised if they have former convicts as well as security guard's. The security does the dirty work for the professors framing, stealing, labeling, stalking, and anything else that is requested. The cameras are used to monitor even specific single individuals and they will use anything against a student because students have no rights. Dorms are horrible and many bathrooms are clogged it's as if you are in a holding cell in the precinct. They try mental abuse on students because the faculty can easily cover it up.

Many educators have a reputation of sleeping with student's or meeting student's off campus in other environment's they should not be in. Some current and former student's have expressed this but are afraid to speak very likely because of what has occurred to other's who speak. Be careful of predator's on campus you have been warrned.

The online programs monitor you in various way's each instructor does it differently. Many break your FERPA right's because they know you can't or wont get a lawyer. Extensions on your private computer collecting data, extensions downloaded on your private computer to access the internet, use of camra while taking a test in your bedroom these are all breach of contract and you can compare this entire school to china yes they are basically china they abuse the students. They deserve to be taken to court for all the abuse.

Med student's who graduate from here are ready to discriminate against patients because they learned how to abuse patient's. The college is not appropriate and the only thing I can think of for them not being sued in the past is because the board of ed want's to protect the mission of academia more than the student's because it is abuse. Stay away and be careful for people who graduated from this school as professionals they should be sued for abuse they do.

Look on sites for lawsuits against the college and read for yourself such as justia or other court sites. Also look to fined the article of the professor who put a camra in a bathroom to catch cheating this is illegal, or even how they payed to get advertising. The college should be closed and the government should stop funding it and apologize to current, and past student's for abuse and trauma they went through.For any student who want's protection change your hand writing and typing style often do not use word's you use often when you want to complain online. On campus trust no one, do not give to much information, read about ferpa and look at what is allowed and not do not trust the educators will be honest with you. Honest is best practice is a one way street in NYIT only the students are supposed to be honest not the educators apparently. Report to other professionals outside of college such as organizations that fight for your rights anonymously, keep records, get creative against the school and do not let them catch on. You can fight back if you want to people will support you for taking down a tyrannical school. Communism is not supported in America kick them out. Try signing petitions and getting politicians to force reviews of educators public for everyone to see instead of every student using online sources that are altered by educators to protect there carriers yes most good reviews are made by the educators and workers and they pretend to be student's this is actually against the law. Disciplinary actions need to be taken by the government against universities it has gone on long enough they can not be immune to the law if they are criminals they should be behind bars not teaching in educational institutions.

Avoid the college as mush as possibleAug 12 2021Computer Science

Look on sites for lawsuits against the college and read for yourself such as justia or other court sites. Also look to fined the article of the professor who put a camra in a bathroom to catch cheating this is illegal, or even how they payed to get advertising. The college should be closed and the government should stop funding it and apologize to current, and past student's for abuse and trauma they went through.For any student who want's protection change your hand writing and typing style often do not use word's you use often when you want to complain online. On campus trust no one, do not give to much information, read about ferpa and look at what is allowed and not do not trust the educators will be honest with you. Honest is best practice is a one way street in NYIT only the students are supposed to be honest not the educators apparently. Report to other professionals outside of college such as organizations that fight for your rights anonymously, keep records, get creative against the school and do not let them catch on. You can fight back if you want to people will support you for taking down a tyrannical school. Communism is not supported in america kick them out.

Feb 20 2019Computer Science
"Good" student have no time spend on the complex review.....I think that why major comments are negative.....
Feb 24 2017Computer Science
Don't ever go here..!! You will face many problems
The 'Film Program' has NO SubstanceNov 25 2015Communications
The 'Film Program' has NO Substance. Literally wasted more than half the semester in a 4 credit course over $4k) talking about shooting student films while the professor was not even there. The other half was wasted on one man show projects, again, no curriculum, no support. Even had recent graduates come in and take up limited shooting time for their own projects.

Also has a lot of classes in the catalog that simply aren't given.
There area few bright points in terms of faculty, but the way those 'film' classes were run overshadows it completely.

From the international student point of view ISep 14 2015Business - Management and Administration
From the international student point of view I can say; NYIT should be attended in big apple campuses. I have seen too many nice teachers in there who motivates us for the victory(everybody has their own victory by the way). Thank you to all who put lot of effort to lead me finishing my MBA program in Old Westbury and Manhattan Campuses.
Research Topic(s): GENERAL MANAGEMENT
I am the student who gave the ideaFeb 23 2015Computer Science
I am the student who gave the idea to start the start up program with NCIIA. I gave them who to contact, third party contacts that offer proven or developing start up programs. Along with that information, I mentioned how unhappy I was with the faculty. Normal person would have given a response. A simple thank you or some sort of reassurance that they will try to do better. All I got is a debt from the tuition. They are selfish and lack morals. They don't care much for their students. Only their politics.
**THIS IS FOR NYIT'S MASTER OF FINE ARTSDec 07 2013Art & Design Department
**THIS IS FOR NYIT'S MASTER OF FINE ARTS PROGRAM FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN AND ANIMATION ONLY***
So, back in 2009 or 2010, I wrote a review singing the praise of NYIT's Fine Arts Department.
Can I recind all of that?
I graduated with an MFA degree in 2012. This school is absolutely HORRIBLE. I cannot speak about any other departments other than the Fine Arts department. First of all....the classes. One of the main reasons I applied to this school was because of the wide array of graduate courses listed in their catalog. This was a big lie; if there were, say, 50 courses listed, only 10 were actually offered. A bunch of my classmates inquired about this, and the reason was because the state didn't approve those courses yet.

THEN WHY HAVE THEM IN THE CATALOG???? It's like false advertising. To make matters worse, they recycle the same classes every year. I was in the Graphic Design department, and since they hardly offered any courses (like the catalog listed), I had to take Animation classes. And I don't like Animation. Then they had a couple of required classes that are completely useless and a waste of money. There was a writing course, and two courses about...hell, I don't even know. Aliens, sex, how the world sucks, how we all suck, phallic sculptures, etc; however, they really had NOTHING to do with our studies. They could have added actual studio classes instead. Or even throw in a History of Graphic Design or Animation course. There were so few courses offered, people didn't have enough credits to graduate. So they ended up taking courses in other departments. Again...a waste of time and money.

The faculty isn't that great. I had one class that I was excited about and really needed to learn. The teacher literally said, "Just read the book". We had one assignment that was due at the end of the semester, and the rest of the time he just talked about his personal life, and how the school sucked (we did go on a cool field trip, I'll give him that). The best teacher there was Eric Collins, a drawing teacher. I looked forward to his class every week because I was actually LEARNING and he made things interesting. Other than that, the professors were mediocre at best.

The one positive thing about this school? I made a few friends. So yeah, please do not waste your money at NYIT for their graduate MFA program (Undergrad doesn't look too bad. At least they had classes!). Right now, I'm looking at my 80k diploma from a school I hate. I've seen 3 years worth of students come and go, and not ONE of them had anything positive to say about the program.

The quality of classesAug 25 2010Communications
The quality of classes and other students is poor. Students are discouraged to engaged in independent research. In addition the staff is very unfriendly and unhelpful.
the campus is located in the heart ofApr 26 2010Communications
the campus is located in the heart of the city, you wont get a college thats in the center of the best city in the world, steps away from central park and columbus circle. so dont expect a huge campus. its basically 3 big buildings together. its good for grad students looking to make a career out of their lives. or for the more serious students. like every college it has its disadvantages like the admission/registration can be a huge pain. but this is a school thats give you hand-on experience. dont expect jobs to fall in your lap or anything for that matter. you have to look for it yourself... ask around, faculty and students...The city is amazing..this is my first semester and am already in love with it.
I'm in the MFA Graphic Design program atJan 11 2010Art & Design Department
I'm in the MFA Graphic Design program at NYIT, and just finished my first semester. So far, I am very pleased with my education. It's A LOT of work; if you're not up all night and day doing projects or writing papers, then something is wrong! The classes were pretty grueling, and I've learned a lot so far. The professors are critical (but in a polite way), and easily accessible either via office hours or email. I would definitely recommend this school for a person studying art and design.
I wish I would have read these reviewsApr 12 2006Business - Management and Administration
I wish I would have read these reviews before signing up for classes at NYIT! My financial experience has been a complete disaster. Not only did they "misplace" $3,500 of my student loan...they sent me and 19 others to a collections agency! Unreal! And when I call them, I get the same experience: secretaries who tell me someone is looking into the issue. Basically, they don't deny the money is there, they just keep saying it wasn't credited to my account. In 21 days they still can't find it...and I am still going through collections processes and in nine more days I will have this reported to the credit bureaus...all for a glitch on their part!

I did earn my MBA, though only half the classes were in-depth enough for me. The basic idea is that they take a question out of the back of the textbook and base a class around it. It frames the class from the perspective of the leader, not the student, which is great...but an entire 6 week class that only solves one question leaves A LOT to be desired. The financial distress NYIT has caused me FAR outweighs the fact that I have an mba. Go somewhere else where they appreciate students.

New York Institute (Amman-Jordan Campus) is the bestJun 23 2005Business - Management and Administration
New York Institute (Amman-Jordan Campus) is the best school in Jordan , students with bachelor's degrees from Jordan University choose to get their master's from NYIT because its degrees are well respected and highly accredited especially in the arab gulf countries.

Khaled Suheimat
MBA / 2005 Class

People should be awareNov 06 2004Other
People should be aware of the occupational therapy program at NYIT. It is an excellent Master's program containing small classes averaging 10 students per professor. Please view http://www.vissium.com/ot/otflyer.pdf for further information.
Research Topic(s): Knowledge and Experience of Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy Among
NYIT is such a nightmareAug 11 2004Education
NYIT is such a nightmare. Administration is a mess, and they push you off their secretaries. Try calling and actually talking to a Dean or anyone in a position of authority and you are passed along to another secretary who also feed you wrong information. Every term I have had a problem with something- be it payment, registration, or grade submission.

Example: My summer 2003 grade was not processed until the following November! That was after numerous phone calls to the college and finally got to meet with a Dean.

This summer they lost my registration form and claimed that my payment was not "approved" until yesterday. I registered, paid, and started class the begining of July. Now I have been calling for 2 weeks for grades and my credit card company stated that the payment was not even submitted until yesterday! Someone fell asleep at the wheel and their response to me was to speak to a secretary who I spoke with last week already. She made no mention of the payment situation, just that the grades are not in yet.This place is a disaster and I do not know how this college remains open and accredited in New York State.

Horrible experienceAug 11 2004Education
Horrible experience.Nobody returns phone calls or notifies students regarding important issues. Payment information is lost or not processed in time. Advisement is non-existant. Nobody accepts responsibility for mistakes. Pass the buck is the name of the game.
I am talking aboutMay 08 2004Business - Management and Administration
I am talking about NYIT the Amman/Jordan Campus, it is the best university here in Jordan, much better than the University of Jordan .. The students here are classy, rich, but friendly.. I think it will be the best university here ..
Students are expected to be seen NOT heardJan 07 2004Business - Management and Administration
Students are expected to be seen NOT heard in this college. It is run like a family business (i.e deli) where on campus employment is mainly based on who you know, and not your performance let alone grades, there is no reward system of any kind for academic excellence, although some of the faculty perform wonderfully there is a lot to be said about the rest of them, lack of TA's and GA's to help students with their financial and academic growth etc. Overall, the school needs a massive overhaul, especially in its administrative sector.
The New York Institute of Technology