StudentsReview :: The New York Institute of Technology - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

New York Institute of Technology - Manhattan Campus -- New York, NY
State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica-Rome -- Utica, NY
New Jersey Institute of Technology -- Newark, NJ

The New York Institute of Technology

Total Grad Surveys 31
Females 11
Males 20
Avg years at University 1.6
Research Quality C+ (5.7)
Research Availability B (6.6)
Research Funding B (6.7)
Graduate Politics B- (6.0)
Not Errand Runners B- (6.5)
Degree Completion C+ (5.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.1)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.6)
Competitiveness B- (6.3)
Education Quality B (6.8)
Faculty Accessibility B (6.8)
Useful Research B (7.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.2)
Friendliness B- (6.3)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.6)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.5)
University Spending B (6.6)
Extracurriculars B- (6.5)
Scholastic Success B (6.6)
Surrounding City A- (8.5)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.6)
Degree CompletionC+
Surrounding CityA-
Feb 20 2019Computer Science
"Good" student have no time spend on the complex review.....I think that why major comments are negative.....
Feb 24 2017Computer Science
Don't ever go here..!! You will face many problems
The 'Film Program' has NO SubstanceNov 25 2015Communications
The 'Film Program' has NO Substance. Literally wasted more than half the semester in a 4 credit course over $4k) talking about shooting student films while the professor was not even there. The other half was wasted on one man show projects, again, no curriculum, no support. Even had recent graduates come in and take up limited shooting time for their own projects.

Also has a lot of classes in the catalog that simply aren't given.
There area few bright points in terms of faculty, but the way those 'film' classes were run overshadows it completely.

From the international student point of view ISep 14 2015Business - Management and Administration
From the international student point of view I can say; NYIT should be attended in big apple campuses. I have seen too many nice teachers in there who motivates us for the victory(everybody has their own victory by the way). Thank you to all who put lot of effort to lead me finishing my MBA program in Old Westbury and Manhattan Campuses.
Research Topic(s): GENERAL MANAGEMENT
I am the student who gave the ideaFeb 23 2015Computer Science
I am the student who gave the idea to start the start up program with NCIIA. I gave them who to contact, third party contacts that offer proven or developing start up programs. Along with that information, I mentioned how unhappy I was with the faculty. Normal person would have given a response. A simple thank you or some sort of reassurance that they will try to do better. All I got is a debt from the tuition. They are selfish and lack morals. They don't care much for their students. Only their politics.
**THIS IS FOR NYIT'S MASTER OF FINE ARTSDec 07 2013Art & Design Department
**THIS IS FOR NYIT'S MASTER OF FINE ARTS PROGRAM FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN AND ANIMATION ONLY***
So, back in 2009 or 2010, I wrote a review singing the praise of NYIT's Fine Arts Department.
Can I recind all of that?
I graduated with an MFA degree in 2012. This school is absolutely HORRIBLE. I cannot speak about any other departments other than the Fine Arts department. First of all....the classes. One of the main reasons I applied to this school was because of the wide array of graduate courses listed in their catalog. This was a big lie; if there were, say, 50 courses listed, only 10 were actually offered. A bunch of my classmates inquired about this, and the reason was because the state didn't approve those courses yet.

THEN WHY HAVE THEM IN THE CATALOG???? It's like false advertising. To make matters worse, they recycle the same classes every year. I was in the Graphic Design department, and since they hardly offered any courses (like the catalog listed), I had to take Animation classes. And I don't like Animation. Then they had a couple of required classes that are completely useless and a waste of money. There was a writing course, and two courses about...hell, I don't even know. Aliens, sex, how the world sucks, how we all suck, phallic sculptures, etc; however, they really had NOTHING to do with our studies. They could have added actual studio classes instead. Or even throw in a History of Graphic Design or Animation course. There were so few courses offered, people didn't have enough credits to graduate. So they ended up taking courses in other departments. Again...a waste of time and money.

The faculty isn't that great. I had one class that I was excited about and really needed to learn. The teacher literally said, "Just read the book". We had one assignment that was due at the end of the semester, and the rest of the time he just talked about his personal life, and how the school sucked (we did go on a cool field trip, I'll give him that). The best teacher there was Eric Collins, a drawing teacher. I looked forward to his class every week because I was actually LEARNING and he made things interesting. Other than that, the professors were mediocre at best.

The one positive thing about this school? I made a few friends. So yeah, please do not waste your money at NYIT for their graduate MFA program (Undergrad doesn't look too bad. At least they had classes!). Right now, I'm looking at my 80k diploma from a school I hate. I've seen 3 years worth of students come and go, and not ONE of them had anything positive to say about the program.

The quality of classesAug 25 2010Communications
The quality of classes and other students is poor. Students are discouraged to engaged in independent research. In addition the staff is very unfriendly and unhelpful.
the campus is located in the heart ofApr 26 2010Communications
the campus is located in the heart of the city, you wont get a college thats in the center of the best city in the world, steps away from central park and columbus circle. so dont expect a huge campus. its basically 3 big buildings together. its good for grad students looking to make a career out of their lives. or for the more serious students. like every college it has its disadvantages like the admission/registration can be a huge pain. but this is a school thats give you hand-on experience. dont expect jobs to fall in your lap or anything for that matter. you have to look for it yourself... ask around, faculty and students...The city is amazing..this is my first semester and am already in love with it.
I'm in the MFA Graphic Design program atJan 11 2010Art & Design Department
I'm in the MFA Graphic Design program at NYIT, and just finished my first semester. So far, I am very pleased with my education. It's A LOT of work; if you're not up all night and day doing projects or writing papers, then something is wrong! The classes were pretty grueling, and I've learned a lot so far. The professors are critical (but in a polite way), and easily accessible either via office hours or email. I would definitely recommend this school for a person studying art and design.
I wish I would have read these reviewsApr 12 2006Business - Management and Administration
I wish I would have read these reviews before signing up for classes at NYIT! My financial experience has been a complete disaster. Not only did they "misplace" $3,500 of my student loan...they sent me and 19 others to a collections agency! Unreal! And when I call them, I get the same experience: secretaries who tell me someone is looking into the issue. Basically, they don't deny the money is there, they just keep saying it wasn't credited to my account. In 21 days they still can't find it...and I am still going through collections processes and in nine more days I will have this reported to the credit bureaus...all for a glitch on their part!

I did earn my MBA, though only half the classes were in-depth enough for me. The basic idea is that they take a question out of the back of the textbook and base a class around it. It frames the class from the perspective of the leader, not the student, which is great...but an entire 6 week class that only solves one question leaves A LOT to be desired. The financial distress NYIT has caused me FAR outweighs the fact that I have an mba. Go somewhere else where they appreciate students.

New York Institute (Amman-Jordan Campus) is the bestJun 23 2005Business - Management and Administration
New York Institute (Amman-Jordan Campus) is the best school in Jordan , students with bachelor's degrees from Jordan University choose to get their master's from NYIT because its degrees are well respected and highly accredited especially in the arab gulf countries.

Khaled Suheimat
MBA / 2005 Class

People should be awareNov 06 2004Other
People should be aware of the occupational therapy program at NYIT. It is an excellent Master's program containing small classes averaging 10 students per professor. Please view http://www.vissium.com/ot/otflyer.pdf for further information.
Research Topic(s): Knowledge and Experience of Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy Among
NYIT is such a nightmareAug 11 2004Education
NYIT is such a nightmare. Administration is a mess, and they push you off their secretaries. Try calling and actually talking to a Dean or anyone in a position of authority and you are passed along to another secretary who also feed you wrong information. Every term I have had a problem with something- be it payment, registration, or grade submission.

Example: My summer 2003 grade was not processed until the following November! That was after numerous phone calls to the college and finally got to meet with a Dean.

This summer they lost my registration form and claimed that my payment was not "approved" until yesterday. I registered, paid, and started class the begining of July. Now I have been calling for 2 weeks for grades and my credit card company stated that the payment was not even submitted until yesterday! Someone fell asleep at the wheel and their response to me was to speak to a secretary who I spoke with last week already. She made no mention of the payment situation, just that the grades are not in yet.This place is a disaster and I do not know how this college remains open and accredited in New York State.

Horrible experienceAug 11 2004Education
Horrible experience.Nobody returns phone calls or notifies students regarding important issues. Payment information is lost or not processed in time. Advisement is non-existant. Nobody accepts responsibility for mistakes. Pass the buck is the name of the game.
I am talking aboutMay 08 2004Business - Management and Administration
I am talking about NYIT the Amman/Jordan Campus, it is the best university here in Jordan, much better than the University of Jordan .. The students here are classy, rich, but friendly.. I think it will be the best university here ..
Students are expected to be seen NOT heardJan 07 2004Business - Management and Administration
Students are expected to be seen NOT heard in this college. It is run like a family business (i.e deli) where on campus employment is mainly based on who you know, and not your performance let alone grades, there is no reward system of any kind for academic excellence, although some of the faculty perform wonderfully there is a lot to be said about the rest of them, lack of TA's and GA's to help students with their financial and academic growth etc. Overall, the school needs a massive overhaul, especially in its administrative sector.
The New York Institute of Technology