StudentsReview :: New York University - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University

I used this site when I chose NYU,Other
I used this site when I chose NYU, so I wanted to contribute back now that I have graduated.Be open and try your best not to have preconceived notions. DONT worry if the first semester is rough, it takes awhile to get used to things. Have NYU pride, join clubs/greek life, and don't be afraid to break out of your shell. You will find NYU happiness, you will be stressed, you will be so busy you don't know what to do with yourself, but it will be awesome. The NYU Health and Wellness center is fantastic, do NOT be afraid to reach out to them. NYU will make you a better person and teach you life skills both in and out of the classroom. NYU students are some of the smartest most dedicated people in the world. You will absolutely LOVE some and absolutely HATE some of them. You can find literally any kind of person/club/group at NYU. I look back at my experience and I am astounded at all the wonderful/amazing/crazy things I managed to do. IF you DONT like your advisor, ask for a new one. You got to push to get the things you want from this school, whether that means patiently waiting on hold with financial aid, going to your teacher's office hours when you want to do better on the next paper or running for an NYU club exec board position. At NYU the squeaky wheel gets the oil, never forget that. Enjoy NYC, don't freak out too much. Study appropriate, not too little, but DONT LOCK YOURSELF IN BOBST FOR ETERNITY (except during midterms/finals). EXPERIENCE the city/internships/drunch/more.
The one thing I wish someone had toldQuite BrightOther
The one thing I wish someone had told me before I decided to attend NYU was that you need to be seriously ready to spend a significant amount of money, and own a house in loans when you graduate. Everything is outrageously expensive -- from the housing, to the meal plans, to the tuition, to the laundry rooms, to the off-campus attractions, to the campus cash, to the books. The average person cannot afford the extreme spikes in tuition: just this year, tuition went from $56,000 to $60,000. NYU does not give much in financial aid and they will tell you this upfront from the beginning, but I, like so many other students, thought that a degree from NYU would ultimately make it all worth it, and it wasn't. I cannot speak for other programs, but from my experience, the Liberal Studies Program is a huge waste of money and time; which is why I eventually transferred out of NYU -- one of the best decisions I have ever made -- and even on my way out, the school was still trying to eat up all of my hard-earned money. Do not come here unless you are prepared to spend an obscene amount of money.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Social Life: A+, Individual Value: F
In NYU-speak, Beauty equals unreality; Compassion and TakingBrightOther
In NYU-speak, Beauty equals unreality; Compassion and Taking a Personal Interest equal delusion; Seeking the Heart of the Matter equals not living in the real world. This is all very curious (I'm sorry, I'm speaking from the perspective of an intelligent observer of human behaviour). Why, to quote Wallace Shawn, the most New Yorkiest of New Yorkers, is anything that takes place outside the carve and grumble of Wall Street "less real?" I suspect most of these reviews have been fed by a steady diet of disatisfaction (hooray for disatisfied misfits!), promulagated by people who somehow swallowed the wholly irresponsible argument that life in a zoo is better in the cages than outside. Personally, I'm not much into the zoo scene, but I do have compassion for the animals imprisoned there. The difference, of course, is that we are not really speaking about actual forged-steel bars, but psychological barriers. Come on you NYUS, life is what YOU make of it--not the place you live. I know some wonderful people in New York City! Just because the general cut-throat terrain resembles, in its more salient aspects, the crusty rim of an asshole doesn't mean you have to take the plunge, dive right in and add to the general shittiness of the world. We have work to do here; so lend hand, and enough of this silliness.
1st Year Female -- Class 2008