StudentsReview :: Pratt Institute Main - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Pratt Institute Main

Really the only complaint I have about Pratt

Sep 01 2014Architecture
Really the only complaint I have about Pratt is the quality of the students. There are many brilliant people here, but there are also a lot of students who seem determined not to learn. It's probably a typical art school thing, but many of the classes here are very abstract and what is taught is a lot different than what was taught in High School. Instead of embracing this chance to grow as a conceptual thinker, many of the students do not try to understand and become a more holistic artist. For most majors Pratt is very intensive, so some students are sometimes disappointed that they can't party every day. It is really an amazing school and I know I am learning a ton. There are plenty of resources to get internships through Pratt, but being in New York it's fairly easy to find one independently. We don't have many sports teams or school spirit, but there are a decent amount of parties off campus. However, we are in New York, so house parties aren't a necessity.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B-

My main concern with Pratt is that it

Mar 10 2013Other
My main concern with Pratt is that it seems to intend to produce artists. But what these kids don't seem to realize is that you have to actually know something outside of yourself to produce art of any substance. My fellow students don't seem to care about politics, philosophy, or even what's going on in the city. Most rarely leave the campus unless its to get drunk at a bar halfway down the block. Half of them really don't even care about art. They're just here because they don't know what else to do with their time. To be a filmmaker you need to love film, to be a writer you need to love the written word, and to be an artist you need to love some sort of art. That's just how it is. If that's not the case you are wasting money, your time, and everyone else's time, who is forced to see your work that you half assed three hours before class. This school literally celebrates not giving a fuck. However, ironically, most of the kids here seem to think that going to art school is required in order to be an artist. That's bullshit. Also, if you are a non-art major, such as writing, art history, and even film, the art kids will occasionally treat you like shit.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, Scholastic Success: D-

Pratt has a beautiful campus in the heart

Aug 08 2014Communications
Pratt has a beautiful campus in the heart of Brooklyn. Aesthetically, nothing could be better. The food is alright, housing is sufficient, virtually everything in terms of looks and quality of life is great. The administration, however, has continuously failed to impress me. In order to complete any task outside of class, it WILL take you at least 2 or 3 days of running around the campus being redirected to different people. This administrative issue is not only a one time thing either - I have been constantly let down and discouraged by the quality of faculty at this school, and it has finally led me to transfer to another school. I discovered that my Art History teacher, to my dismay, graduated from a mediocre school only ONE year ago and is now teaching college level classes. Needless to say, the quality of teaching was extremely low (the professor stood in front of a powerpoint every class and read names and dates off of a piece of paper).

Furthermore, when transferring majors, I was met with condescending attitude and cynical remarks from one of the Communications Design administrators. After showing up on FOUR different occasions to sign my withdrawal form, every single time I have been prevented from doing so by either one or more persons being absent or redirecting me to the incorrect department. I absolutely love the campus and the students here at Pratt, but unfortunately I could not stand the quality of teaching and administration here and will be happily leaving without returning come Fall 2014.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017