StudentsReview :: Pratt Institute Main - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Pratt Institute Main

Oct 29 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Pratt is a factory-- the classes are big, and the teachers are over-worked. Worse, in my opinion, is the extremely high price tag and inefficient bureaucracy. I left Pratt seven years ago, and I'm writing this review today because they sent a $2,000 unpaid tuition bill from SEVEN years ago to my house. They can't explain why I owe it, but they do want me to remit payment to a man named Greg Smith, who works for a real estate law firm in Queens. Sound shady? When you go to make payments at the bursar's office, there are holes drilled in bullet proof glass.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007
Social Life: A-, Faculty Accessibility: F
Sep 01 2014Architecture
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Really the only complaint I have about Pratt is the quality of the students. There are many brilliant people here, but there are also a lot of students who seem determined not to learn. It's probably a typical art school thing, but many of the classes here are very abstract and what is taught is a lot different than what was taught in High School. Instead of embracing this chance to grow as a conceptual thinker, many of the students do not try to understand and become a more holistic artist. For most majors Pratt is very intensive, so some students are sometimes disappointed that they can't party every day. It is really an amazing school and I know I am learning a ton. There are plenty of resources to get internships through Pratt, but being in New York it's fairly easy to find one independently. We don't have many sports teams or school spirit, but there are a decent amount of parties off campus. However, we are in New York, so house parties aren't a necessity.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B-
Aug 08 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Pratt has a beautiful campus in the heart of Brooklyn. Aesthetically, nothing could be better. The food is alright, housing is sufficient, virtually everything in terms of looks and quality of life is great. The administration, however, has continuously failed to impress me. In order to complete any task outside of class, it WILL take you at least 2 or 3 days of running around the campus being redirected to different people. This administrative issue is not only a one time thing either - I have been constantly let down and discouraged by the quality of faculty at this school, and it has finally led me to transfer to another school. I discovered that my Art History teacher, to my dismay, graduated from a mediocre school only ONE year ago and is now teaching college level classes. Needless to say, the quality of teaching was extremely low (the professor stood in front of a powerpoint every class and read names and dates off of a piece of paper).

Furthermore, when transferring majors, I was met with condescending attitude and cynical remarks from one of the Communications Design administrators. After showing up on FOUR different occasions to sign my withdrawal form, every single time I have been prevented from doing so by either one or more persons being absent or redirecting me to the incorrect department. I absolutely love the campus and the students here at Pratt, but unfortunately I could not stand the quality of teaching and administration here and will be happily leaving without returning come Fall 2014.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017