StudentsReview :: Pratt Institute Main - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Pratt Institute Main

My main concern with Pratt is that it

Mar 10 2013Other
My main concern with Pratt is that it seems to intend to produce artists. But what these kids don't seem to realize is that you have to actually know something outside of yourself to produce art of any substance. My fellow students don't seem to care about politics, philosophy, or even what's going on in the city. Most rarely leave the campus unless its to get drunk at a bar halfway down the block. Half of them really don't even care about art. They're just here because they don't know what else to do with their time. To be a filmmaker you need to love film, to be a writer you need to love the written word, and to be an artist you need to love some sort of art. That's just how it is. If that's not the case you are wasting money, your time, and everyone else's time, who is forced to see your work that you half assed three hours before class. This school literally celebrates not giving a fuck. However, ironically, most of the kids here seem to think that going to art school is required in order to be an artist. That's bullshit. Also, if you are a non-art major, such as writing, art history, and even film, the art kids will occasionally treat you like shit.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, Scholastic Success: D-

Pratt has a beautiful campus in the heart

Aug 08 2014Communications
Pratt has a beautiful campus in the heart of Brooklyn. Aesthetically, nothing could be better. The food is alright, housing is sufficient, virtually everything in terms of looks and quality of life is great. The administration, however, has continuously failed to impress me. In order to complete any task outside of class, it WILL take you at least 2 or 3 days of running around the campus being redirected to different people. This administrative issue is not only a one time thing either - I have been constantly let down and discouraged by the quality of faculty at this school, and it has finally led me to transfer to another school. I discovered that my Art History teacher, to my dismay, graduated from a mediocre school only ONE year ago and is now teaching college level classes. Needless to say, the quality of teaching was extremely low (the professor stood in front of a powerpoint every class and read names and dates off of a piece of paper).

Furthermore, when transferring majors, I was met with condescending attitude and cynical remarks from one of the Communications Design administrators. After showing up on FOUR different occasions to sign my withdrawal form, every single time I have been prevented from doing so by either one or more persons being absent or redirecting me to the incorrect department. I absolutely love the campus and the students here at Pratt, but unfortunately I could not stand the quality of teaching and administration here and will be happily leaving without returning come Fall 2014.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F

When I decided to apply to Pratt Institute

Nov 01 2012Architecture
When I decided to apply to Pratt Institute I was very excited because all I read were great comments about it. However when I came here... I saw that those "great" comments were not great at all... Everything was a lie.

You spend sooooo much money here and you get nothing in return!
I expected to actually learn something. I expected teachers to show me, to teach me things I did not know before. However all you do here is guess what the teachers are telling you! You go to class and all they do is give you the assignment without any explanation about how you need to do it! Then you go into class the next day and all they do is get mad why you did it wrong!

The teachers explain nothing! Even though you are a freshmen, they expect you to already know EVERYTHING! They scream at you and do not care about how you feel! YOu go to them to get some help all they say is: "I have no idea. Figure it out yourself!" That is what you get by paying $60,000 straight out of your pocket! The teachers like to take out their anger at you - they tease you through the projects. They do not care that you have spent days without any sleep. They break your projects and feel good about it! They make your life miserable from the day you walk into the studio! You do something, the teachers tells you she/he likes it and then at the review she/he tells you it sucks and you have to re do it by the very next day!

The administration is TERRIBLE! Everyone is lazy! You ask for something and they look at you like: "Why the hell do you want me to do that?" It takes them days, weeks, for them to complete your request! They are slow, lazy, disrespectful!

Dinning services staff - I don't even know how they got to work there! LAZIEST and most ARROGANT people I have seen in my life!

Think before you decide to attend this college! Visit, talk to people in the school, ask LOTS of questions! If possible spend a day to see what the life is like!

My general impression: The college is nothing of what people say it is! It is terrible!

1st Year Female -- Class 2016