StudentsReview :: Pratt Institute Main - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 6
Males 1
Avg years at University 0.7
Research Quality F (0.8)
Research Availability F (0.8)
Research Funding F (0.8)
Graduate Politics F (0.8)
Errand Runners B+ (7.7)
Degree Completion
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] F (0.8)
Sufficient Pay F (0.8)
Competitiveness C- (3.5)
Education Quality D (2.1)
Faculty Accessibility D (2.7)
Useful Research D (2.6)
"Individual" treatment F (1.1)
Friendliness D (2.6)
Safety C- (4.0)
Campus Beauty B (7.1)
Campus Maintenance B- (5.8)
University Resource/spending D (2.5)
Extracurriculars D (2.4)
Success-Understanding D (2.2)
Surrounding City A (9.4)
Social Life/Environment B (6.9)
Research FundingF
Surrounding CityA

I moved to the historic preservation at Pratt

Dec 14 2011History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I moved to the historic preservation at Pratt Institute after a very bad run at Savannah College of Art and Design. I didn't think education could get worse or be as bad as SCAD, but Pratt matches in quality. There is no standard for teachers (note teachers, not professors) or students, and in fact, most of my classmates can't write an essay to save their lives. You go through coursework with very light assignments that seem to be thrown in as an afterthought, and often listen to teachers ramble on about whatever suits their mood. When complaints are lodged about students, the quality of work expected, general standards, etc., they are avoided at all costs and I find I am often placated in the moment. Did I mention this school costs about $50,000 in tuition alone?!?! That's right, you get an high school education for the cost of a luxury vehicle.

Quite Bright? I'm a frickin' genius! (Sorry, I

Dec 12 2005Other
Quite Bright? I'm a frickin' genius! (Sorry, I just find people grading their intelligence a bit preposterous!)

I'm an international Greek graduate student currently finishing my first semester at the CGIM computer Animation Department at PRATT. Like everyone else, I scrounged the Internet for advice on a decent MFA that will add a lot to my resume and I'm glad I gave the comments on the undergrad page a second glance, they are either outdated or exaggerated. PRATT is neither dangerous or bad. Sure, it can do with a bit more publicity (SVA has a stranglehold), the dorms are no Buckingham palace and it's not the price of the century as far as tuition is concerned, but my department is full of creative people, mostly excellent teachers and GREAT opportunities for research (ask around for The Animation Group at PRATT). Overall, trust me on these pointers:

- The surrounding area really is NOT dangerous at all. Just not the prettiest in New York :)
- You get what you put in the program, I've had a good run and I intend to continue.
- You'll meet future animation bigshots, everyone here is motivated (the lazy ones are not given much leeway).

- You will get a job by the time you're done, if you work hard enough. Past Internships include Disney, ILM and Digital Domain.

In the end, to be honest, it doesn't matter what school you go to, as long as you work your butt off. If you're prepared to, you can do way, way worse than PRATT.

If I had to say something bad it would be:

- Administration: Headless chickens. All I'm going to say. Nice people, but not very good at their jobs, bless 'em.

- There are a couple of classes that you will not gain anything from*. I'd rather not name any names, but if you stumble on one, do what I did. Take the time to learn more by yourself.

- BedStuy, do or die! Biggie Smalls' old neighbourhood, 3 blocks from PRATT. It's there, but you don't have to go. I won't and probably never will. Unless I want my head blown off. But it's at a safe distance.

- Aaaand the art school staple, the students. A LOT of nice, cool people from all around the world. But you'll find the usual pretentious, head in the clouds, "lookitme I'm sooo different" sociopaths. Simply smile, nod and ignore.

That's pretty much it. If you want me to tell you more, give me a shout.*And no, I won't name them if you e-mail me.

Sure Pratt has its problems, but every art

Oct 28 2004Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Sure Pratt has its problems, but every art school seems to have similiar problems as what i've found out from talking to my other friends.

We have the best professors in our computer departments. sure there are one or two professors, who were no good at organizing their classes, but generally, they know what they are doing.But I don't like our security people. they don't seem to make sure the surrouding area of campus are safe at all. All they do is sit around and not do anything. I doubt they'll save any students in time of real danger.

Get free info from: Pratt Institute Main