Pratt Institute Main
| StudentsReview ::
Pratt Institute Main - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings |
|Total Grad Surveys||7|
|Avg years at University||0.7|
|Research Quality||F (0.8)|
|Research Availability||F (0.8)|
|Research Funding||F (0.8)|
|Graduate Politics||F (0.8)|
|Errand Runners||B+ (7.7)|
|Alternative pay [ta/gsi]||F (0.8)|
|Sufficient Pay||F (0.8)|
|Education Quality||D (2.1)|
|Faculty Accessibility||D (2.7)|
|Useful Research||D (2.6)|
|"Individual" treatment||F (1.1)|
|Campus Beauty||B (7.1)|
|Campus Maintenance||B- (5.8)|
|University Resource/spending||D (2.5)|
|Surrounding City||A (9.4)|
|Social Life/Environment||B (6.9)|
I'm an international Greek graduate student currently finishing my first semester at the CGIM computer Animation Department at PRATT. Like everyone else, I scrounged the Internet for advice on a decent MFA that will add a lot to my resume and I'm glad I gave the comments on the undergrad page a second glance, they are either outdated or exaggerated. PRATT is neither dangerous or bad. Sure, it can do with a bit more publicity (SVA has a stranglehold), the dorms are no Buckingham palace and it's not the price of the century as far as tuition is concerned, but my department is full of creative people, mostly excellent teachers and GREAT opportunities for research (ask around for The Animation Group at PRATT). Overall, trust me on these pointers:
- The surrounding area really is NOT dangerous at all. Just not the prettiest in New York :)
- You get what you put in the program, I've had a good run and I intend to continue.
- You'll meet future animation bigshots, everyone here is motivated (the lazy ones are not given much leeway).
- You will get a job by the time you're done, if you work hard enough. Past Internships include Disney, ILM and Digital Domain.
In the end, to be honest, it doesn't matter what school you go to, as long as you work your butt off. If you're prepared to, you can do way, way worse than PRATT.
If I had to say something bad it would be:
- Administration: Headless chickens. All I'm going to say. Nice people, but not very good at their jobs, bless 'em.
- There are a couple of classes that you will not gain anything from*. I'd rather not name any names, but if you stumble on one, do what I did. Take the time to learn more by yourself.
- BedStuy, do or die! Biggie Smalls' old neighbourhood, 3 blocks from PRATT. It's there, but you don't have to go. I won't and probably never will. Unless I want my head blown off. But it's at a safe distance.
- Aaaand the art school staple, the students. A LOT of nice, cool people from all around the world. But you'll find the usual pretentious, head in the clouds, "lookitme I'm sooo different" sociopaths. Simply smile, nod and ignore.
That's pretty much it. If you want me to tell you more, give me a shout.*And no, I won't name them if you e-mail me.
We have the best professors in our computer departments. sure there are one or two professors, who were no good at organizing their classes, but generally, they know what they are doing.But I don't like our security people. they don't seem to make sure the surrouding area of campus are safe at all. All they do is sit around and not do anything. I doubt they'll save any students in time of real danger.
Disclaimer: StudentsReview makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of this site, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this site. Furthermore, StudentsReview is not affiliated with any University or Institution.