StudentsReview ™ :: The Rochester Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The Rochester Institute of Technology

As a cross-registered student at RIT, I wear

Mar 10 2014Art & Design Department
As a cross-registered student at RIT, I wear a cochlear-implant and have grown up mainstreamed all my life- at RIT I truly have found a bridge between my two worlds, the "hearing" one I was in* but was constantly struggling to keep up with, and the "deaf community" I had always wondered about. Here, its truly the best of both worlds for me, some of the closest friends I have are also CI/hearing aid wearers with the same story as I, but we all interact so well with BOTH the "hearing" population and "deaf community" here. There's a common perception that the NTID school is made up of only "signers"- I admit i thought this at first, thus had to be really pushed by my parents to even look at RIT..now i'm SO grateful I did- but this is the furthest from the truth! The majority of us are actually cross-registered students, meaning attending regular classes at RIT as an RIT students, but with "NTID support" in the classrooms such as C-print, FM systems, note taking, etc. They offer forms of support I never even knew existed!

However, this being said, I highly advise those of you looking here with hearing impairments/deafness (I consider myself "deaf" with a "lowercase d", as we call it, but there's so many individual interpretations i'm just saying this to be safe) to BE CAREFUL. There is a HUGE difference between applying TO rit THROUGH NTID, and applying TO NTID- once you apply into NTID, and discover that all the professors (unfortunately even those who are oral) sign only and will literally force you to learn or understand sign, and you decide in panic that you need to get OUT and into RIT with the rest of us, it will be a long?.long?hassle.

I have several friends whose parents even threatened to sue with lawyers, and only then did NTID give them "permission"- apparently being sued won't look good for them. NTID will very likely try to convince your not to leave or even straight out tell you you "can't" (I was told this when trying to leave a NTID class that i mistakingly signed up for thinking it was a "NTID-supported class, the woman who talked to me got so upset every time I tried to sign because I was slow and couldn't understand her FAST signing, and wrote down, "see this is why you should not leave the class, you aren't capable of reading". EXCUSE ME?! I got a perfect score on my APs and ACT writing section!!)

just be careful!Know that going into NTID you should only*** go if you are 100%*** a signer, or really REALLY ok with the sign-only environment. Its almost completely excluded from the RIT campus. And extremely difficult to "transfer" out of into RIT.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+

1. The switch from quarters to semesters was

Feb 06 2014Art & Design Department
1. The switch from quarters to semesters was extremely badly executed. Students were promised that they would not be impacted by the change, however 75% of students are having to stay an extra semester, or take over 20 credits in order to keep on track. Academic advising in the art department is virtually useless, they are inaccessible and unhelpful. Professors have no idea how to teach a semester long course, so it is just as fast paced as the quarters, but lasts 5 weeks longer.

2. On campus housing ranges from $450 -$1500 per month. Do not live in the on campus apartments, especially Park Point. They rob you on average $750 per month, and then add other surprise fees just for giggles.

3. RIT IS NOT IN ROCHESTER. YOU CANNOT WALK DOWNTOWN. The campus is in Henrietta, 20 min outside the city. so to go out, you need a friend who has a car and enjoys DDing. Really, you need a car to do anything, as there is no public transport in Henrietta.

4. RIT uses your money to build useless new buildings. They ignore the renovating and updates that need to be done, and instead build a new hockey stadium. The art building is the most ignored in terms of renovating. Avoid the bathrooms.

5. As an art student, professors will expect you to spend A LOT of money on supplies and studio fees. There is no mercy. Expect to spend an extra 1,000 per year on these types of expenses, on top of tuition.

6. It used to be free to park in the farthest lot, about half a mile from campus. It is a very unpleasant walk in the winter. As of this year you now have to pay $100 for this luxury.

7. Student Financial Services, if I may, is the most incompetent office you will ever step foot in during your life time. They hate their jobs, and they hate you for asking them to do their jobs.

8.Each semester you have to pay an extra fee of $246, but no matter who you ask, no one will tell you what this fee is for.

9. In summary, RIT will rob you and your family of a great deal of money, and you will not have that great of an experience. At the end of it you will be writing something just like this. Go somewhere else, just do.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A, University Resource Use: F
Jan 03 2014Electrical Engineering

Great school, good coop program. If you stay focused on your work, you won't have any problems being successful.

5th Year Male -- Class 2015