StudentsReview ™ :: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Rochester Institute of Technology -- Rochester, NY
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Got a great job in Northern Calif

Feb 24 2014Electrical Engineering
Got a great job in Northern Calif. due to RPI. Good reputation in Silicon Valley. RPI used to give tests that had very little relationship to classroom material. This was not a spoon fed and regurgitate university. The testing was to see how well your thought processes were, ad enhanced and defined by the class material. RPI really taught one to think logically.
4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: C

I learned to think logically and how to

Nov 14 2013Biology
I learned to think logically and how to approach problems analytically at RPI. I did not really use much of the factual knowledge I acquired there. I learned mostly by studying text books, not from attending class. Most of the faculty were too involved in their research to be good teachers. There were some notable exceptions to this. The math faculty at that time did not do research, and, consequently, the best teachers were in the math department. In the physics department, Professors Harry Meiners and Walter Eppenstein were in charge of Physics I-IV and devoted their time to perfecting these courses. They both were excellent teachers. Tom Shannon was a graduate student in physics then and was also a very good physics instructor. At that time a young assistant professor in the chemistry department named Henry Hollinger was also an outstanding teacher. The social life for a quad squad nerd like me consisted of getting hammered at the Armory Bar on Friday and Saturday nights. I should have paid more attention to the surrounding city. Although decrepit, Troy has an interesting history. I am sorry I did not learn more about that at the time. In retrospect, I would not even apply for admission to RPI if I could go back in time, but in 1961 being accepted to such a college was important to me.
Starting Job: Security guard Preparedness: A+ Reputation: D

RPI provides a great education and plenty of

Sep 12 2013Physics
RPI provides a great education and plenty of challenges to prepare you for the future. I turned down an Ivy League college to go to RPI because it offered plenty of one on one teaching as well as a great focus on science and engineering. No matter how smart you are there will be classmates you can learn from. Some of my good friends at RPI are leading scientists, engineers, physicians and businessmen who got their foundation for questioning how the world works at RPI.
5th Year Male -- Class 1973