StudentsReview :: Siena College - Comments and Student Experiences

Quinnipiac University -- Hamden, CT
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Fairfield University -- Fairfield, CT

Siena College

I may have had an anomalous experience at

Dec 13 2003History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I may have had an anomalous experience at Siena. While I was there, there was a tiny nucleus of "geeks" - we were the tech support consultants, the medieval history club, the kids who watched anime late into the night. We were sort of fondly reviled and we had a blast. I'm not sure if our legacy lives on, so to speak. Siena was rife with "Abersnobbies" - cute (and not so cute) binge drinkers who weren't there for the education at all - all very jockish. Siena also had a great population of very socially conscious, considerate, GOOD people - it was a very friendly and community minded campus because of them. The "Franciscan ethic" of compassion and community was very strong, and it was definitely a good thing.
Starting Job: teaching assistant Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B

Siena College was the biggest waste of money!

Dec 12 2003Education
Siena College was the biggest waste of money! In the words of one of my professor's from there "you have to walk on water to get an -A or have connections". The students were snotty and the girls were mostly half wits. I wouldn't recommend this school to ANYONE!!! The school is full of bs! For instance, I had to move out of my room because my roomate was a year ahead of me! Not because she was a nutcase and wanted to room to herself!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2003
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

As with just about any school, business, or

Dec 13 2003English
As with just about any school, business, or other organization, there are many positives and negatives about Siena College. The key is to work out wether they balance out to you r benefit. For the most part, in my case, they did. On major failing I found was the area of financial aid; I am on of those who fall into the category of too rich for out-of-the-coffers aid, but too poor for myself or family to pay for it completely on our own, and as a result I now have a load of loans to begin paying back. The financial aid is also one of the least helpful and unbending portions fof the school, and the proper communication between the Financial Aid office and the Business Affairs office (which are situated on far sides of campus from each other) is not too great. Much of the on-campus social life centers around clubbing in th elocal city of Albany, but there's a lot to offer for folks who want more than a drink. The theatre program is underfunded but thriving; hugely talented and working steadily on a professional model. The Newspaper has grown in recent years, and the literary magazine has sprung anew. There are positions for folks interested in residence life staffing, and student government, as well as numerous sports teams. There are great indoor athletic facilities, and plenty of wide lawn space outdoors for a variety of activities. Various organizations sponsor contest, performances, open mic nights, etc. The professors vary just like any other people do; some are nice, some are jerks, some challenge, some are obviously tired of what they do, and some are incredibly dynamic and offer true challenges for those who want to learn. Siena is also incredibly interesting in that it has a strong Franciscan association; there is a friary on campus, and some friars live in the dorms, while others teach classes. I developed strong friendships with several of them, and they all have interest in various parts of the life and workings of the college.
4th Year Female -- Class 2003