StudentsReview :: Siena College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fairfield University -- Fairfield, CT

Siena College

I hate this place

Mar 03 2013Psychology
I hate this place. Every time I go there, it just makes me feel worse and worse. I find myself going home every weekend and every other chance I get just to get away from all of these self-absorbed, snotty people. If you're LGBT, don't come here. The Gay/Straight Alliance is on point, but people will judge you just for being what you are. They will assume you're creepy and into them. People drink way too much, smoke weed way too much, and don't even go to class. Everyone is white, and there was talk about a white student union. I said, "You can go outside and talk to the first person you see, and you've got a white student union." There is no diversity because this place does not want you to be diverse. It is begging you to be just like the others. As I write this, I am hopefully going to transfer away from this place, because every time I go there it just brings me more misery. The education is good, and you can easily get in touch with your professors, but everyone knows you, everyone knows what you've done, and it is an extremely lonely place. All of my friends left me for other people because of who I am. I even get bullied here all the time. I got molested over the break, and another student was there, and she just watched it happen. No one cares about other people here. Franciscan values, my left foot. No one here even has values.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

I hated every minute

Jul 12 2012English
I hated every minute I spent at Siena -- I knew I could have bene happier and done better at another school, but my sad parents were Catholic fanatics, and I paid the price for their belief.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I'm currently a second semester senior at Siena

Feb 06 2013English
I'm currently a second semester senior at Siena. If it wasn't for the friends I made freshman year I probably would have transferred because my roommate and I did not get along. The academics are well handled, I felt challenged to actually think about what I was reading, not just memorizing it for tests. The teachers do care, they know how hard college can be and want to be there to help you. It is a small school and you do tend to recognize a lot of people by the end of the year, but that was fine with me so that is more of a personal choice.

A lot of the negative comments focus on how the students are arrogant and snobby. Though the athletes sometimes think they are all high and mighty, I have found that if you are simply nice then it's pretty easy to talk to people. Certainly not everyone you meet you will want to be friends with, but it's not that hard to talk to the students here. It is hard though, walking to class and seeing about 85% of the girls wearing Ugg boots and a North Face jacket.

It's also true that the majority of the school is from Long Island, so many of the students when to high school together.

There honestly is not much to do outside campus. There's diners, bars, and two movies theaters. The clubs are all gross and usually full of underage people. Albany is also scary, so people don't venture there much at night.

Last thing - Public Safety is a nuisance. They are on your back about everything and can write you up (if underage) if you are in the presence of a shot glass or solo cup even if you clearly have not been drinking. They like to break up house parties to look like they have some authority.Conclusion? Great professors that care about your education, but administration and public safety will try to get every penny out of you.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013