StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

St. John's is an enigma.Quite BrightPolitical Science
St. John's is an enigma.
Yes, college is what you make of it. But sometimes schools are not what you expected when you signed up.

This is the case with St. John's. It presents itself as a hub to the city- merely a subway ride away, and you're in downtown Manhattan.

And yes, they were right about this.
But that's not the point. The point is to love the things that are on your campus, and that's something that I had trouble with. The social life here? It's pretty awful. There's a local bar named Trad's where you're overcharged for gallons of who-the-hell-knows-what piss warm beer, but the "fun" lasts no more than a few weeks. Frat parties take place off campus and feel isolated unless you're in with that crowd. I wasn't, and I feel like my entire social life was devoid because of it.

And that leads me to what I think St. John's still is- A commuter school with dorms. This school hasn't had enough time to really build strong the extracurriculars here, and the only chance of finding a new thrill is taking the F to Manhattan, which becomes a tiring trip.

If you're looking for a school with top notch Professors, you can find that. My Political Science teacher (Dr. Peccorella) was probably the best and coolest teacher I've ever had in any level of schooling. You can get a great education here, especially if your scholarship matches and makes it a cheaper buy.

However, if you're not a drinker or frat-oriented, have fun walking alone to Monty's every night.I hope you don't end up like me, in a position where I have to transfer out. Best of luck to you.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Friendliness: F
I'll be frankly honest I want to beQuite BrightEconomics
I'll be frankly honest I want to be a music major and am practicing privately with a professional for my upcoming auditions to enter the fall 2012 semester. My mother works here so it's free and that's the only reason i'm attending. I'll tell you the school loves advertising how prestigious it is but don't be fooled. . All in all this is a very lackluster school that leaves much to be desired. Everyone smokes also so expect to smell the filthy smoke and smoldering butts all over campus and the campus is horribly constructed. Though they ae trying to improve the accesibility you will often find yourself walking upwards of 10 minutes because they never built a path or made it physically possible to get to your building besides once place. "vincentian spirit" they preach of is all meaningless to me since i'm an atheist/agnostic and will to all others who are like me. I find it quite irritating also how their required courses are simple detractors from anything productive. You'll pass these classes with B+ and As with no effort as long as you have common sense. The student body is highly unmotivated and they're all just idiots. I know someone who dropped from 1 of his core classes after he failed an open text book and note test, is probably failing public speaking and in all honesty is probably going to get kicked out for just poor grades. I don't get hw, don't do anything but practice pretty much and as of now i look to have maybe 1 As and 3 B+. This school is obsessed with itself and the santa claus myth that is religion and will stop at nothing to indoctrinate everyone into believing so. The city isn't that close either so expect a bit of a bill getting there back and forth once things add up. The professors are mostly banging their heads it seems because everyone is so goddamn stupid and those professors who are stupid themselves just curve the hell out of your grade. The university is in a dump of an area. Nothing interesting and nothing worth your time there besides a subway to eat at. I commute so unfortunately i can't tell you about the dorming situation but it doesn't seem that good. My final point will be the general segregated student body. Blacks hang out with blacks, whites hang out with whites etc. St.John's loves to put every type of race they can on their website but don't be fooled. It's like 13th grade if anything. People are immature and cliquey and pathetic and i'm a mixed race kid so i can tell you it's not really a bias at all. Go to a school in the city for more things to do or just go somewhere better if you want a stimulating education. If you need more evidence of why you shouldn't go here, I'm willingly ready to pay about 30 grand a year for another school in the city.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: B, Useful Schoolwork: F
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! IAverageCommunications
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! I transferred here from a community college and I wish I would have done more research on this university. Yeah its hyped to come here, come on you get to say you got St Johns University the name carries weight. On the campus tour they will hype it up to seem like the most amazing school ever but once you get in they don't care about you! You are a walking dollar sign, they will get to not only stay longer but to make you pay for everything you want to do. They also require you to take three theology and philosophy courses. Also, be weary about your credit evaluation if you decide to transfer! Thats why this is my first and last semester! Because of the extra courses they require I wouldn't have been able to graduate with my class but the year after that is why I am deciding to leave as soon as possible! If you do decide to go here apply early so that you can get a good dorm room if you stay on campus. You must be social to have fun, little to no people here are overly nice like that and greek life bares little to no presence. I've seen plenty of flyers for events they hold but that is all.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016