StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

The first thing is that this school was incredibly easy toBiology
The first thing is that this school was incredibly easy to get into. The fact that the core curriculum takes up so much time is both a positive and a negative. Taking English, a social science and 3 courses in philosophy is essential to making an all round student. However, catholic university or no catholic university, 3 semesters of theology and a useless course called Discover New York is completely uncalled for. Theology courses are used by all students to "boost" their GPA and unless you are a christian this really will not do anything but waste your times especially if you are a science major.

This brings me to my particular department. The major curriculum for my major was horrible; the courses were unbelievably limited and as a Biology major I expected a challenge but all I got were a handful of biology credits and twice that amount in liberal arts courses that were completely useless to me in the long run. My fiancee also went to SJU and her view is similarly unfavorable. She was a non-science major and I noticed that non-science majors had to take a science course to fulfill their math/science requirement. When I saw what they were, it was mortifying. I know other schools within the same tier as SJU whose non-science major students had to not only take a science course but a science course with a lab component which is critical to making a layman understand the scientific method. St John's does not have this.

Finally the administration. Wow, never have I before met such an unhelpful group of people. Not to mention the attitude that they all come with. And I still can't figure out why you would have 12 counters to help students yet every time you come for help there would be no more than 3 representatives waiting to help you DESPITE a long line snaking all they way out the door! And any SJU student can tell you the utter frustration that comes with reaching the counter and realizing 6/10 times that the representatives cannot answer your question and so scatters you all over the campus......

As for social life, I could care less. I am not drinker or a "party person". All I care about is my work and my studies and unfortunately St. John's University did not satisfy any of my thirst for knowledge.

My advice to aspiring undergrads with big ambitions: Make sure and fully scout all the universities in New York before making your decision.

I spentQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I spent a year at St Johns and left due to the low quality of student on campus. St Johns should be sued for misrepresenting its student body to applicants. I graduated from a local high school with a 93 average and received a partial scholarship at St.johns. The brochure was beautiful all these academic minded students smiling looking collegiate and when you tour you are shown more of the same. However this is a lie. St Johns in its life mission accepts and gives full rides to students who really don't give a shit about studying, learning or bettering themselves. They pull students from the ghetto with violent pasts in fact when I was there someone brought in a gun and shot it off in MY DORM!!! That's when I decided the ghetto school is no longer for me. I believe they started a new English program because I could here hey, muther fucka where u been at on a daily basis and I sincerely believe that must have been part of the curriculum.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
THANK GOD I AM TRANFERING TO SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY.AveragePharmacy
THANK GOD I AM TRANFERING TO SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY. I am finally leaving this hell hole. I cannot believe I put myself through 2 years of hell. Stay clear of St. Johns university if you value your college experience. PLEASE DON'T APPLY. It will do you justice. Everything about this school reeks stupidity and low-class. I don't even know where to start. Simply, I would have rather taken a year off and re-apply to my dream school Syracuse (rejected senior year of high school). I am so happy that I am finally admitted and will be attending in the fall. I can now say goodbye to this god forsaken dump.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011