StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

THANK GOODNESS I'M TRANSFERRING.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
THANK GOODNESS I'M TRANSFERRING.
I am writing this review using my cheap Lenovo laptop issued to me by this wonderful joke of a university for free (which means the cost is actually hidden somewhere in the ridiculous fees)

I'll tell you what happened to me, and if you find yourself in a similar position please RUN do NOT walk, RUN from this school...

So, I'm a very intelligent student, from the Midwest with big city dreams (think Sex and the City type dreams) and I couldn't wait to get my life in NYC started!! woot woot! Well, in reality I come from a single parent, lower middle class income family however my mother provided me with private college prep education so I know quality education and when it is lacking. The other Universities that accepted me NYU, Fordham did not offer any financial aid outside of loans which would be absurd for me to accept because I am going to medical school. So I thought Saint John's measly 17K scholarship on top of other loans and grants would be the answer to this conundrum. I was WRONG!!!

This school is a joke and a complete rip off for ANYONE with even a moderate amount of intelligence or ambition.

I am African American myself so hear me LOUDLY when I say this, the students here are ghetto, immature, foul, irresponsible, and the types of minorities that give the rest a bad name. They are completely wasting any money/time spent on college and are only at St. John's for the parties and free food. They are loud, ignorant and will constantly make you guess as to why they are in college. I'll tell you why they're there, because St. John's gives EVERYONE a scholarship, so don't think you're special. If you have a working pulse they will try to flash money to pull you into this intellectual death trap.

Oh and they try to sell you on the diversity? Please. 99% of the students are weird Queens/Bronx/Brooklyn kids, mostly Queens. The Blacks are ignorant, ghetto and have very poor manners. They socialize with other ignorant Blacks. I definitely didn't click with these kids, but I can tell you of several negative encounters I had due to their ridiculous ignorance and immaturity, these are NOT the types of kids that will broaden your ethnic horizons, in fact they'll probably just turn you into a racist if you aren't one.

then there's the indian and chinese/japanese crowds. I'll lump them into one big Asian crowd although they don't really associate with eachother but the point is that this is where you will find the only morsel of decent intelligence at this school. And they all know eachother from high school, etc. so they may be nice to you if you take science classes with them, but don't even think about building any real friendships here. Yes, white people, even you.

Then there are the Whites who you only really see come out during if its the beginning or ending of the school year or if they are freshmen. 99% of them are stupid athletes who are getting a full ride, if not athletes then sorority members, its sort of how the Whites stay together on campus. They are their own family. All they do is sports/parties/sex with each other. They are equally as ignorant as the blacks, just not as loud. They do just enough school work to keep the scholarship. Where do they end up in four years? In the unemployment line with the Blacks I previously mentioned. (Again, I'm Black too, I'm just being honest to prevent any smart person from ending up in the misery I experienced) Oh any other whites are the trashy/jersey shore/long island types. Very alcoholic, fat, unmotivated, carrying or soon to carry STD's/HIV. gross. (I have witnessed all of this, no fiction and I do not believe in undue bias).

Do not come here if you want the NY experience. Your ass will be dropped off in Jamaica Queens (which is nearly the farthest subway stop from Manhattan) which is a ghetto, depressing, crumbling town littered with nothing more than a subway, borders, and random low quality American chinese restaurants. Don't think you're going somewhere with culture and pizazz. In fact, if you're there after 10pm you should NOT be going anywhere in Jamaica unless you want to get shot. The two local bars are pathetic excuses for colleges bars and you'll waste money taking the shady cabs to get there. If you are the type of person who needs socially and intellectual stimulation to be inspired, you will be depressed and unfulfilled here to say the least and I MEAN THIS. heed this warning. Don't come here from out of state just because of the scholarship and wanting to be in NY. you will NOT get to be in NY, you will be in Jamaica, Queens (HUGE DIFFERENCE) and while you can VISIT manhattan you will not be able to build a real life/network/connection there. All the kids at the school are lazy so good luck even finding someone to get on the subway and make the trip to one of the world's most amazing cities! What am I doing? cutting my losses, going to a much better, much cheaper state school that actually has good programs and facilities. I'll be back in nyc on my own terms with little to no debt and WAY less trauma/fatigue/depression.

Oh as far as the academics, if you're smart, you'll want to commit suicide. I know you think you're the witty one and can use it to your advantage (easy classes, easy 4.0 right?) think again...you will become a mental zombie. the courses are so mind numbingly retarded that you will be almost too disgusted to even look at it. yes, they will be easy A's but you will know that you are missing out because those are years wasted not GROWING and improving to make yourself competitive for med/law/grad school. This is not the school for kids who care about their futures. Do not believe the hype from greedy admissions people and idiots who don't realize how low class the school is. Oh and they will try to pretend like St. John's has prestige, LOL, no. Maybe it did in 1827, but in 2011, in Manhattan, most people had no knowledge of St. Johns. NYU? Yes. Columbia? Of Course! St. Johns? Uh....no. please don't spend any money here, whatsoever. Run good children, run!

In summary: this is a low class community college with an ivy league price tag. GOOD LUCK! (please don't choose this school)

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
This school isn't as great as everyone thinksQuite BrightOther
This school isn't as great as everyone thinks it is. They have limited majors you can choose from. The extracurricular activities the school offers are of low quality and have limited variety. The courses here are a joke, especially discover new york, which I think is a waste of time in addition to being very useless. The events in this school are also a joke because they offer you free items, purcased from the money you pay for your tuition here. If you are very smart, don't go here, because you will only get bored here. If you are already studying at this school, make plans to transfer out of here as soon as possible, before the unchallenging courses here will make you dumb.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL.Quite Bright
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL. Honestly, the amount of non-commuters outweigh the amount of commuters. It's quite sad. I don't understand why people would travel across the world back and forth to go to this school. I don't understand. A St. John's degree won't get you any further than a degree from CUNY school. It's about the same level as a CUNY, probably around Queens College, York College, Lehman-level, which is below Hunter and Baruch. You are basically paying more than 5 times for the same education you can get elsewhere for a better experience.

I write for the newspaper here and some of the staff editors are horrible. How did they get to be on top? I feel like my college-level, if not newspaper writing-level is always revised into high school-level work. That should look GREAT as sample clips! They will ignore you. Shows you how much responsibilities they have as staff editors. Take the plunge and take out a loan for better schools like NYU, BU, BC, SUNYs, Syracuse, UMass and so much more because you will go somewhere far. You will pretty much go nowhere with a St. John's degree, unless you are lucky. I do feel bad for some of the students here who actually work hard and have the potential of going somewhere much better.

As for the professors, there are some really nice and understanding ones but you have to find the right ones. Oh, and don't expect to make close friends unless you have known them before college. WAY before college. Do not expect a lot of people to help as well. A lot of kids never show up to class or think it's all a joke by coming in late all the time (especially those who dorm...wtf). Sometimes I wonder how I got stuck with a bunch of over privileged kids who bs their way. There are a bunch of dumb athletes who obviously are here because of their athletic abilities but when it comes to class, they act like they are prioritized and act like high school animals with their groups of friends.

Transfer out while you can in every possible way. I am transferring out and couldn't be happier. And by the way, they raise the tuition by thousands every year. If you got accepted to better schools than St. John's, please go there. St. John's has this method of giving large sums of grants (which are fixed for all 4 years, despite the tuition raise), only to make your college experience a miserable one. The kids will bash you if they know you are transferring out (just look at the guy from the basketball team who transferred out). The school isn't even on the top tier! I feel so embarrassed when I tell people I go to this school.

Campus is ugly. It is not the ideal place of a college; it's in the middle of no where, it's hard to find a parking spot (parking permit is $100 at the parking lot),has a moderate rate of crime (or more). There have been many cases of robberies and assaults on/around campus since the school year started.

There is so much more I can only write about the cons of St. John's. I hope this concisely convinced you to not apply and waste thousands of dollars on something that will make you miserable.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014