StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

Whenever people say that this school is soSuper BrilliantOther
Whenever people say that this school is so grat that it will offer you a bright future, take that advice with a grain of salt. The core curriculum doesn't prepare you to take on challenging coursework in the future, since the type of work the professors assign are mostly "busywork". The students here aren't very competitive, and any student who is seems to feel unmotivated as well as the urge to transfer out of this school. Don't believe people's claim of diversity here- the majority of the students here are white. the extracurriculars here are sub-par and don't offer a lot of varieties, especially if you want to join a established club instead of starting a new one. This school is a lot stricter than most other schools, which can prove to be a real pain. The school seems to give everyone a scholarship, so don't feel so great if you got one. The admissions comittee is just trying to rope you into this school. People think that just becuse this school is located within New York City limits, that they are in the actual city itself. For those people, you are WRONG!!! This school is actyally 15 miles away from the actual vity and you will have to wait for a long time to take the bus to the nearest subway, which can prove to be a major hassle, especially during the winter. This school will also suck the money you have out of your pockets since in addition to paying the ripoff of a tuition, you will have to pay many unecessary fees such as campus fees, which you might not be able to take advantage of the activities themselves (especially if you are a commuter student) because you would rater spend your time doing other more interesting extracurriculars outside of school(because they don't even have them on campus) or in an internship in order to make your graduate school resume lokk good. In conclusion, do not go here unless you want to go to an intellectual wasteland, be unmotivated, decieved, bored unfulfilled, and/or throw your money away. For those who are already stuck here, start filling out those transfer forms the day the become available.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F
I applied to St.Quite Bright
I applied to St. Johns after I went to nyc over spring break. They historically have a good bball team as well. I liked the campus because of nyc, and was given some scholarship money. I guess I thought I was special, but everyone gets grants and such. And there are tons of hidden expenses, not to mention mysterious fees. Within the second month I was writing transfer applications to get out. Before you go to live on campus, they have you fill out a questionnaire so they can stuff 6 guys in a room. Well I had a drug dealer, suicidal alcoholic, gay guy, and compulsive masturbator in mine. The dorm sucked and had one bathroom to us plus the guys and girls who’d pass out in the room. I couldn’t do any work and no faculty would help me. They wouldn’t even help me change dorms; apparently I had a milder dorm. Only 2000 live on campus, half going homed on weekends. Out of staters and athletes left. They have no activities to do on weekends, no movies or football. Soccer is ok. I guess they figure we can go to nyc, but it is expensive. People are people, but I thought these new Yorkers were rude and obnoxious. The classes were a joke. You can’t even pick your own classes; you have to have your advisor be ok with it. A nice gym, but it closes weird times without warning. There are three places to eat, that’s it, and they suck. I had several run ins with them because they’d take meals away. There were also 3-5 am fire drills 2-3 times a week. Also, if someone, anyone (don’t even have to go to school there) destroys property on your floor, it’s added to your expenses. Girls can’t walk without worrying they’ll be assaulted. They sent me a bill charging for damages and activities for the spring semester: the semester I had withdrawn from. This place does not appear to ever have had a Catholic influence. I wasted a semester at this awful place and am still paying the price. Save yourself and don’t go!
1st Year Male -- Class 2004
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
I really did not like attending this school.Quite BrightAnthropology
I really did not like attending this school. It was not my first choice, but I went into it with an open mind. After my first semester I decided to try and rush out of there as quickly as possible. Here was what I found:

Administration: Sends you running in circles, there are hidden fees for tuition and financial aid as a whole is a mess. Dean's offices aren't much better. They will send you running all over the campus to several different offices before they reluctantly solve your problem. And even then, if you have an issue you will have to ask several people before you find someone who cares enough to take the time to help you.

Dorming: A nightmare, with three students crammed into a room about the size of a walk in closet, and then you're sharing a kitchen and bathroom with four other students on top of that. The campus is locked down at 11pm and you have to jump through hoops to have a guest stay over. Dining halls weren't open early enough for morning classes.

Advisors: This created the biggest trouble in my academic career, but this could just have happened to me. Advisors were s***. They did not help you, and don't listen to anything you tell them regarding what you hope to accomplish or what classes you would like to take. I was placed in several courses in the wrong order by a very pushy advisor who insisted it was correct, only to be penalized for it later on by having to waste whole semesters waiting for seasonal classes that were not available year round. The worst part of it is when I was about to graduate and consulted two different advisors about my number of credits. They did not add up to the final amount of credits needed to graduate, yet I had fulfilled the list of major/minor requirements. They both told me it was an error in the system and that I was ready to go. It was only when I asked a professor of mine about it (I hadn't trusted the advisor answers due to previously flakely responses from them) that he told me where the missing classes were, and that I wouldn't be able to graduate! WHY did no -advisor- catch that!? Mine is not the only story like that you will hear from students who have gone to this school.

Classes: MANY theology prerequisites (not surprising, it is a private Catholic university). The anthropology/sociology department is wonderful, everyone is very friendly and helpful. This was -not- the case for every department. I was a biology major before transferring and they were very unhelpful.

Sports: The school is all about sports. I am not much involved in them, but I would think the facilities are wonderful for that.

Campus: It's a large campus. You have to take a bus to the subway (about 8 min ride) and then take the subway into Manhattan (from the Queens campus). The dining halls are nothing special, but not horrible. Overall the campus was fine.

Social Life: I am a mostly introverted person, so take this with a grain of salt. I felt things were very cliquish along the lines of ethnicity. It is a -very- diverse school, but as a result most people tended to hang out with others from their country, who spoke the same language, etc. I made very few friends outside of my major, and those that I did make were almost exclusively from having the same classes, not through clubs, or dorming, etc. Some people I've met have liked attending this school, but it left me very frustrated. The stress of dealing with the administration, financial aid and social environment really drained the experience and cancelled out anything I might have gained. The teachers and classes were not always bad, but it largely depends on luck and choosing a major that has a nice department. Now that I have graduated (I'm still waiting for them to send me my diploma, have to fight with administration -again-), I look back on the experience with regret. My entire college experience was a feat of preserverance rather than anything even resembling enjoyment.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2009