StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

Simply put, St.Quite BrightCommunications
Simply put, St. John's University was once a great institution; however, it is now a place that simply exploits its once well-respected name. The professors overall have been good, in my opinion. But, don't expect course work that will actually educate you. I, and others here, feel we received a better education at our community colleges, for about $25000 less a year.

Most students here are communters and as a result have no desire to contribute to the campus life. The dorms are horrible. Students sit around day and night on their computers. The rules are beyond strict, so don't think about having any fun. If you aren't yet a Junior, you cant park on campus, which is totally unfair. But, parking here is atrocious. And they will ticket and tow your car if you park on campus without a permit.

The Bursar's and Financial Aid Offices practice extremely shady accounting behaviors, and if you choose to go here I would keep an extra close eye on my loan and bill information! Don't be fooled, they will play with both your student loans and bill and rip you off for THOUSANDS beyond what is already a high-priced "education". I can't tell you how many people have echoed the same statement, over and over. New York State and the Feds should really investigate them.Do yourself a favor, if your considering other Universities in this area, look at Hofstra, NYU, Pace, Fordham. DO NOT ATTTEND ST. JOHN's, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

1st Year Male -- Class 2006
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
I'm not going to lie.BrightJournalism
I'm not going to lie...the only reason I accepted the offer to this school was to make my family proud. 2 of my cousins went here. One graduated, one transferred out, and now I know why.

That acceptance letter with the "free laptop" postscript did not lure me at all. In actual, this crappy Lenovo laptop is all included in the tuition and get this, if you don't finish the 4 years at the university, you'll have to return it back, plus you have to pay a $50 accidental damage protection fee. This school keeps sucking your money, and that's all there is to it. I mean, why would a commuter student have to pay a campus activity fee if most of the activities are partaken by the residents, at night? I'm pretty sure no commuter student is going to come all the way to the campus, especially given the area, at 10pm and enjoy assorted popcorn and cupcakes. Plus, they spend all this money on these other pointless activities and such. There is not a week where I go to school in the morning and don't see these tents and party supplies being set up. And occasionally, they randomly hand out free stuff t-shirts, pajamas, and all these souvenirs, just for the fun of it. And whose pockets are placed on a burden?

The Freshman Orientation already gave me a bad image of the school. More than 12 hours of lectures and presentations about these clubs and sororities and volunteer work they have to offer, etc. Worst 36 hours of my life in the summer.

To be honest, I did not have a good feeling about this school right off the bat, BEFORE I even started my first semester. I hate the setting of it. And people claim that St. John's has a genuine campus feel and the best campus in New York City? Who are you kidding? Of all the campuses I've been to, I find that Queens College has a warm, genuine feel, rather than this campus, which is full of leg-beating hills and cracked floors. I definitely regret going to this school. I could've accepted my other offers to a CUNY instead.

So my first year has been completed. Let me tell you about my horrific freshman year so far. My freshman advisor was a complete stuck-up, rude, nasty, unhelpful, evoking bitch. She was not helpful and very discouraging, making me feel like there's no hope. The only time she wanted to deal with me was when I told her about my plan to transfer out, there she wanted to be 'helpful' for once in her life. I'm going to withhold her name but she's the most obnoxious advisor I've ever dealt with. And the Freshman Center that's supposed to make freshmens feel welcomed? Joke. Most of the women, with the exception of one or two, at the front desks are rude and cut you off before you even finish your question. Actually, most of the staff here are rude and they won't put much effort to help you unless you know someone who is familiar with them.

And what's up with the no-self registration for the Freshmens? I can pay half (or more than half) of what I pay at St. John's, at a CUNY and register the courses I want independently, with no specific time, and no pressure from the advisors. And the girl who described the African Americans in this school is so right. Well, most of them. I was placed in one class where there were just most of them who didn't give a crap about their education and were the most rude and immature college students I've ever met, just because they go to a private university and feel superior. I came across a kid who even smoked weed before he came to class and sat next to me.

This school honestly does not care about health and safety. There's an area for people to hang out and smoke, awesome! And area where students usually pass through to get to the other side of the school. There is not one day where I don't pass by that area to get to where I have to, and smell smoke on my hair within those few seconds.

The courses are mostly a joke, but there are some pretty bias professors. If they don't like you in the beginning, chances are they won't like you at all, and it will impinge your grades. Of the 9 professors I've had so far, I would say 3-4 of them were good. Some of them, if they have a bad day, they will take it upon their students, which is very unprofessional and uncalled for. Some of them are really lazy and don't use any e-mail communication to update students, etc. And some of them will bombard you with lots of homework, and if you can't keep up, doomsday. Some of the classes are not very easy A's, believe me. I had a professor in a 1100 class who thought we were professional journalists for The New York Times, expecting us to write everything as we were publishing for the world to see. Uh, we're in a BEGINNER'S course!

It's true that most of the people who go to this school are mostly from the NY metro area and Long Island. There are just snobby princesses and princes who just wait to get by a good grade. And then there's people from out-of-state who are actually convinced that they have made it to the Big City but in reality, JAMAICA, QUEENS is actually about 15 miles from the border of Manhattan. If you have offered me to live on campus, even for free, there would be no way in hell. I'm always getting these e-mails, either about a robbery, assault, rape, things along those crimes. This campus is in the middle of NOWHERE. The campus is a pain to walk around. The only decent place is the D'Angelo Center, but people need to learn that the STUDY TABLES are meant for people to shut up and study quietly and peacefully, yet people always grab those chairs from the computers, meant for people to sit on and work on the computers, so they can gather in a group with their little friends and gossip about people loudly. It's a headache to even sit on those comfy couches and try to study when VERONICA over there is gossiping about how some girl is pretending to me someone else, blah, blah, blah.... Some of the people here are the laziest. Why would you take an elevator down/up one floor when you can walk perfectly? It's one thing if you are disabled physically but if you can still run while you're at it, stop being a pig. I walked up 6 floors for 4 years in a high school which forbade students to use the elevators, and I have never complained. Like I said, too many princes and princesses who think St. John's is everything and praise it like it's some religion.

This school is only good if you're going for Pharmacy, and maybe, MAYBE business-related. But there are a lot of better options of schools out there. I am so sick of getting on a bus that barely moves or crowded with hordes of people who complain too much about their lives, on a daily basis, just to get to school. In the end, I'm not happy with where I have ended up. A lot of my friends did not even apply to St. John's and now I know why. It's a waste of money and if you break down the tuition, you're being charged for most of these absurd things you'll probably never do. I'm so glad I'm making every effort to transfer out of this school as soon as I can. I cannot stay here for the next 2 years, definitely not! Honestly, I would go to a community college instead. That's what some girl I know did. She attended this school for one semester and transferred to a community college, because she was sick of it. I don't blame her. If you have already accepted the offer to go to this school, I suggest you drop out of it and catch that train for your 2nd choice. If you are already attending this school and feeling depressed, you better get those transfer applications out soon.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Well I was accepted to St.BrightEducation
Well I was accepted to St.Johns for the fall 2009 semester, and I now longer attend. I transferred as quickly as one can right into Queens College. I must say this University is absolutely terrible. I had high expectations for St. Johns considering alot of students attended. Boy was I fooled. This school is way to expensive to begin with. I had cancer and had a outstanding amount of hospital bills to pay, I had to beg numerous times to give me a "low" tuition amount. All in all I have to pay 8,000 or so for this year. However it will continue to go up. If you get the price lock its still about the same thing.Now because I thought I was going to stay there the whole time. I paid for the whole year. Upon my leaving I was never refunded any of my money for the semester I did not attend. I had meal points that I couldn't finish and I was unable to get the remainder of the money back. Pretty much they stole from me.

In the beginning of the year for freshman you have to participate in the really mundane 3 day stay away trip. Its dreadful to say the least. The counselors are all stuck pricks and the students that you meet are confined to their own "world". You will have a really hard time meeting anyone if you 1. not white and 2. dont dress like a preppy kid. They claim this school to be very diverse however it is the total opposite. Everyone is white to say the least. Therefore everyone else is a minority. Do not get me wrong I am a super friendly person and I tried really hard to make friends, but I was either insulted by the people I tried to be friendly too or let down.

For the education program they throw you right in which is ridiculous. I was forced to go 3 classes and watch them (I went to a highschool)..I had to write crazy amounts of papers and projects. All in All it was too much for my first semester.They tell you they will ease you in. But let me tell you they are lying. They throw you to the wolves. This is no exaggeration.

I practically paid for my grades. My test grades were not that great however I ended up with a 3.8. I hate that. I want to work for my grade but really didnt have to.

The professors that I had were amazing. They were great people. However I heard horror stories from other kids about their professors and how horrible they are.

Walking on campus is soo annoying. Only because you seem to notice all the renovations they continue to do. The tuition is so damn high because they are busy building unnecessary buildings and buying loads of friggin trees.

One thing that really ticked me off with this college was the mandatory participation of events. I was forced to go on average 2-3 events per week. I dont have time for that when I work two jobs. They are very inconsiderate to the students. For most of us we have a life outside of school that involves working.

While sitting at my table in class I talked to the students around me about transferring and guess what. 3 out of 4 of them said they were transferring next yr.

All the other negative reviews are right on. So many students are miserable at St. Johns its really crazy. My advice if you are not white and are "different" such as a indie kid, a punk kid, ghetto, hip hop w.e ..you will not fit in. People will look at you differently and treat you like crap.

I must say I enjoy queens college so much. Random people talk to you, everyone is friendly and down to earth. The classes are demanding and you work to earn your grades. You'd think the opposite of a cuny. However cuny's are great schools and cheaper.

Good luck to whatever school you pick.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013