StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

I am in my senior year at St.Quite BrightBiology
I am in my senior year at St. John's, dean's list student and a major GPA of 3.81 and while there are good things I can say about this school, there were quite a lot of things I did not enjoy. The first thing is the facilities are sub-par and too little. You dish out a whole lot of money to come here and you are faced with old equipment, there is only to my understanding and experience, only two microlabs and about 3-5 scanners in THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY! The university boasts that it got 35000+ applicants for admission yet at the same time, they refuse to improve equipment like computers, printers etc. Students complain a lot that despite the university's endowment, it is very very very cheap when it comes to ensuring student comfort. Lounges close early, buildings close early, libraries close early. I can't even count the number of times I would go home to take a rest and come back on campus to do some research in the lab and all the doors were locked and I would have to call public saftey and some times they won't even help me out. The professors in my department are probably the only good thing that I've encountered here at St. John's. They are dedicated people who I think I will like to keep in contact with even after I graduate. Very helpful and very willing to guide you along your academic journey after undergraduate. But other than that, there's nothing I can say good about this school, courses aren't challenging, they waste your time by making you take 3 theologies no matter what your major is (I could only imagine other grad schools laughing at this on the transcript), what st john's defines as "challenging" really isn't. ADVICE: If you're thinking about coming to SJU, I suggest you think hard about what you want. St John's is into the whole vincention heritage and catholic thing, so if you're a religious person, this is the school for you, campus ministry is a very dynamic area and takes you all over the world and help the poor and unfortunate. If you're into the liberal arts, SJU is for you. If you're into the Fine Arts though, I know people who complain that SJU does not invest a lot in the art department even though they boast a lot about their art curriculum. However if you're a science student: I suggest you look to other places first.
4th Year Male -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A+, Scholastic Success: F
Of the classes that I've taken, only aboutQuite BrightPharmacy
Of the classes that I've taken, only about two of them made me think. The rest such as English, Discover NY, and Lab classes were purely tedious, "busy-work" equivalent to the elementary nature of a sixth-grade literacy curriculum. Many of the professors seem to assume that the students are incapable of meaningful class discussion, and simply assign useless crap for coursework. I hoped for a stimulating college experience that would encourage intellectualism, personal growth, and an academic unity of some sort among students, but St. John's is sadly lacking all of this. The prospective salary upon graduation is probably the only thing keeping me here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Innovation: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
I'm halfway done with my second year atAveragePharmacy
I'm halfway done with my second year at St. John's. I'm enrolled in the pharmacy program and have had quite varied experiences throughout my time here. The liberal arts courses you are required to take through St. John's College (theology, philosophy, statistics, etc) are quite easy. Even as a member of the honors program, the honors classes I have taken (basic theologies and philosophies) were a breeze. The professors of these classes have ranged from joyously inspiring and stimulating, to utterly uninteresting. Quite a normal variety, as I understand it. What I don't understand is why a pharmacy major has to take three theologies and three philosophies. One, or even two, of either are fine, but three seem like overkill.

Science classes require more study and effort. My experience with science courses so far has been ho-hum. They are much more impersonal than the liberal arts courses, although I doubt that this differs at other universities. Large lecture classes abound. I had a biology professor whose exams required complete and unforgiving memorization of many chapters of text. But hey, hitting a bad apple of a professor is to be expected every once in a while. Overall, the quality of the science department is quite satisfactory, and the classes are at least of an acceptable standard. The liberal arts are where I cannot make any generalizations, as experiences vary immensely. Personally, I would not come here to major in the humanities or the arts, or anything that isn't science, business, or math for that matter.

This is a commuter school. Everyone goes home on the weekends. This can be terribly depressing. Campus activities, besides sporting events are few and far between. Kids at this school tend to exhibit the mindset of surrounding Queens - go to college, major in a field that will provide a living, get a job, be better off than your parents. These same kids are also rather unoriginal. They all comprise a pyramid of intellectual capacity in which there exists of a small percentage of bright students, a larger percentage of average students, and a whole bunch of absolute morons. Some kids study constantly (usually the science-oriented students), while many others play video games and go "partying" all the time. If you live outside of NYC, you will probably experience some culture shock. NYC is also this school's greatest social asset. If you know how to use it, it is fantastic, but it's a 40 minute MTA hassle to get there. Also, get a summer job, because the city is expensive. Also, 1300 SATs, a high school gpa of 97, and a few extra curricular high school activities translate to jack shit in terms of financial aid if you're from the middle class and not some sort of Asian, African, or South American minority. At least pharmacists make decent money.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013