StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

The extracurricular activities are easy to join, yetHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
The extracurricular activities are easy to join, yet of low quality. Most of the students are commuters. At the time of my attendance, the school had recently built dorms, so maybe that will improve campus life. the campus is located in a residential area in Queens, NYC. The students are very urban. Sports are popular. Manhattan and nyc are only a subway ride away. The majority of professors are friendly and helpful, a few are self-absorbed, arrogant, and out of touch. Academically, the school is not really that competitive. There are a wide range of interesting courses. I enjoyed my years of attendance. I would reccomend attending if you are interested in liberal arts and urban living.
I was a B student in high schoolQuite BrightFinance
I was a B student in high school but went to St. John's even though I was accepted to several higher-ranked schools. Going to St. John's was one of the best things I've ever done now that I've been accepted to two ivy league schools as a transfer, have a top-tier internship, and a shiny 3.9 to put on my resume. The workload is a cakewalk. The core curriculum is easy and well-rounded. The University really is trying to do it's best with food and dorming by building new dorms.

I'm reading a lot of these negative reviews and they are grossly exaggerated. St. John's does an excellent job with scholarships to attract and keep intelligent students. The money is well-spent on new facilities and more scholarship money. My main qualm is with regards to a lot of the professors. St. John's requires a PhD to become a professor here, so a lot of them are older and can't connect as much as younger profs with the students. DO NOT MAJOR IN ECONOMICS. They have the worst professors all around. I feel sorry for the students that have to go through that. Our accounting major is outstanding though. Getting a job with a Top 4 firm is easy and I envy the great career placement our accounting majors have. You'll definitely learn, but it's tough.

Being an outstanding student here really isn't that difficult because there are quite a few idiots who don't come to class, fail, and so the rest of the class gets a nice curve. The best place to make friends are through the honor societies and through the honor college because of the stringest requirements, so the only ones there are focused go-getters who know what they want.

Class registration is simple. Ratemyprofessors helps a lot because EVERYONE uses it. All professors are required to have office hours so you can find them easily. Never had trouble with that. All freshmans get free laptops and a designated advisor which really helps. Even though I'm transferring, I'm glad I came here. It really launched my academic career.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: F
St. John's weeds through a lot of peopleOther
St. John's weeds through a lot of people freshman year, thankfully. My education was primarily skills based, which this far has healed me put more than anything. There are alumnae of other universities who don't have proper communication, leadership, or profession skills and I feel that my university really gave me that. The people who give St. John's negative feedback are always the type of people who are going to blame their professors for their problems. Keep in mind it's a Vincentian university so diversity is key to their admissions process but sometimes for the sale f diversity they overlook someone's academic merit, but they're also just as effective as weeding those students out. I had a whole lot of opportunities to work and help in departments in campus. Idk it's a great university. I had a whole lot of fun, and I'm so thankful for where it is gotten me.
St John's University New York