StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

Honestly, I was not happy freshmen year, andBrightOther
Honestly, I was not happy freshmen year, and now I'm absolutely IN LOVE with it. Freshman year in the dorms, there were a lot of.people who dodnt want to be there or put forth the effort that college requires. After freshman year all of those people cleared out. I took AP courses in HS and I feel challenged, there is a lot of work, especially junior year. I went abroad, in the discover the world program and it was THE best thing I've done. there are a whole lot of parties, but its not like Southern schools whre thrown into the parties. You have to figure out your friend group then things are crazy fun. If you want an experience that's very typical I don't think you'll be gung ho school spirited until Sophomore year. Its a school full of real people who are career oriented and driven, no bs, but absolutely awesome. Definitely under rated.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: B-
I applied to St.Quite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
I applied to St. John's planning to transfer out after my freshman year, and I was at first disappointed by the lack of school spirit. I chose instead though to move to the Manhattan campus and I am very happy. The best classes at the school are the honors classes. The best professors with the most University recognition teach a majority of them. The school is what you make of it. Nothing will be handed to you. I recommend this school to anyone who already knows what they want, and is willing to pursue it. The administration is awful, but not impossible. I have been able to tweak my curriculum in both the business school and liberal arts school, but it has taken time and effort.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C+
I'll be frankly honest I want to beQuite BrightEconomics
I'll be frankly honest I want to be a music major and am practicing privately with a professional for my upcoming auditions to enter the fall 2012 semester. My mother works here so it's free and that's the only reason i'm attending. I'll tell you the school loves advertising how prestigious it is but don't be fooled. . All in all this is a very lackluster school that leaves much to be desired. Everyone smokes also so expect to smell the filthy smoke and smoldering butts all over campus and the campus is horribly constructed. Though they ae trying to improve the accesibility you will often find yourself walking upwards of 10 minutes because they never built a path or made it physically possible to get to your building besides once place. "vincentian spirit" they preach of is all meaningless to me since i'm an atheist/agnostic and will to all others who are like me. I find it quite irritating also how their required courses are simple detractors from anything productive. You'll pass these classes with B+ and As with no effort as long as you have common sense. The student body is highly unmotivated and they're all just idiots. I know someone who dropped from 1 of his core classes after he failed an open text book and note test, is probably failing public speaking and in all honesty is probably going to get kicked out for just poor grades. I don't get hw, don't do anything but practice pretty much and as of now i look to have maybe 1 As and 3 B+. This school is obsessed with itself and the santa claus myth that is religion and will stop at nothing to indoctrinate everyone into believing so. The city isn't that close either so expect a bit of a bill getting there back and forth once things add up. The professors are mostly banging their heads it seems because everyone is so goddamn stupid and those professors who are stupid themselves just curve the hell out of your grade. The university is in a dump of an area. Nothing interesting and nothing worth your time there besides a subway to eat at. I commute so unfortunately i can't tell you about the dorming situation but it doesn't seem that good. My final point will be the general segregated student body. Blacks hang out with blacks, whites hang out with whites etc. St.John's loves to put every type of race they can on their website but don't be fooled. It's like 13th grade if anything. People are immature and cliquey and pathetic and i'm a mixed race kid so i can tell you it's not really a bias at all. Go to a school in the city for more things to do or just go somewhere better if you want a stimulating education. If you need more evidence of why you shouldn't go here, I'm willingly ready to pay about 30 grand a year for another school in the city.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014