StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL.Quite Bright
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL. Honestly, the amount of non-commuters outweigh the amount of commuters. It's quite sad. I don't understand why people would travel across the world back and forth to go to this school. I don't understand. A St. John's degree won't get you any further than a degree from CUNY school. It's about the same level as a CUNY, probably around Queens College, York College, Lehman-level, which is below Hunter and Baruch. You are basically paying more than 5 times for the same education you can get elsewhere for a better experience.

I write for the newspaper here and some of the staff editors are horrible. How did they get to be on top? I feel like my college-level, if not newspaper writing-level is always revised into high school-level work. That should look GREAT as sample clips! They will ignore you. Shows you how much responsibilities they have as staff editors. Take the plunge and take out a loan for better schools like NYU, BU, BC, SUNYs, Syracuse, UMass and so much more because you will go somewhere far. You will pretty much go nowhere with a St. John's degree, unless you are lucky. I do feel bad for some of the students here who actually work hard and have the potential of going somewhere much better.

As for the professors, there are some really nice and understanding ones but you have to find the right ones. Oh, and don't expect to make close friends unless you have known them before college. WAY before college. Do not expect a lot of people to help as well. A lot of kids never show up to class or think it's all a joke by coming in late all the time (especially those who dorm...wtf). Sometimes I wonder how I got stuck with a bunch of over privileged kids who bs their way. There are a bunch of dumb athletes who obviously are here because of their athletic abilities but when it comes to class, they act like they are prioritized and act like high school animals with their groups of friends.

Transfer out while you can in every possible way. I am transferring out and couldn't be happier. And by the way, they raise the tuition by thousands every year. If you got accepted to better schools than St. John's, please go there. St. John's has this method of giving large sums of grants (which are fixed for all 4 years, despite the tuition raise), only to make your college experience a miserable one. The kids will bash you if they know you are transferring out (just look at the guy from the basketball team who transferred out). The school isn't even on the top tier! I feel so embarrassed when I tell people I go to this school.

Campus is ugly. It is not the ideal place of a college; it's in the middle of no where, it's hard to find a parking spot (parking permit is $100 at the parking lot),has a moderate rate of crime (or more). There have been many cases of robberies and assaults on/around campus since the school year started.

There is so much more I can only write about the cons of St. John's. I hope this concisely convinced you to not apply and waste thousands of dollars on something that will make you miserable.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Please do not go here!! I was thrilledQuite BrightUndecided
Please do not go here!! I was thrilled to go to St. John?s. I heard so much about it with their campus being so close to the city, their basketball team, and etc. I looked at these reviews before I accepted and simply didn't listen. I regret going here. I wasted so much of my parents? money with a 32k loan and it's only the end of the first semester and I know I am transferring next year. Half of the whole 2015 class is leaving either this semester or in the spring including my roommate on a FULL athletic scholarship. This school is absolutely horrible! I could write for days on how bad this school is but I?ll try to keep it short (TRY).

ADVISORS: First off as you can see I wrote I?m undecided. Even though I told my advisor plenty of times that I want to declare biology. For some reason, she just never switched it for me. I even wasted hours taking a placement test and she still never changed it. If you're undecided you're screwed. Geraldine vopelak is the worst advisor in the world.

COSTS: This school is money hungry. Don't make the mistake I did. Don't come here if they don't give you a scholarship. Everyone here has a scholarship. First off, the school is like 53k. That's a crap load of money for what you receive. An ivy league cost but a community college education. Meal plan is $5200. Housing ranges from $7000-$1100 depending on a quad, triple, double, or single however MOST are placed in triples. I would advise not getting a double because your room will be tiny. Tuition is like 33k. And then there are random fees you have to pay once they send you your bill over the summer. There are activity fees, new student fees, breathing fees, walking fees, etc. You only get a scholarship is your math and reading SATs are over 1000 combined. So I didn't get one even though I had a 3.7 gpa with extracurricular and honor societies.

FOOD: The food here sucks. Freshmen are required to get the 5200k meal plan where you have unlimited swipes to the main dining hall, montys. There are other places to eat that offer meal exchanges at certain times. At the main dining hall, Montgoris, there's an omelet line that always has 50 people in there, waffle makers which are good, ice cream machines, cereal, deli, veggies, pasta, grilled chicken, fries and grilled cheese, all day every day. It doesn't change. It only changes when there's an event on campus like open house or tours. Then they cook edible food just for show for the parents.

PEOPLE: The people are pretty cool. I?m black and the school is mostly black. Next would be white and then Asian etc etc.

DORMS: probably the only decent thing. For freshmeat, 2 buildings are traditional dorms and the other 2 are suite style. I got lucky and got a suite. You walk in to a common room with a mini fridge, cabinets, table & chairs, couch, and 3 seats. There is no sink in the common room, idk why but there isn't so you have to wash dishes either on the kitchen floor or your bathroom. The common room has 2 sides, left and right. Left is 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom, right is 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom. Suites can have 5-9 girls in them luckily mine only had 6 so they can get crowded but it's a good way to make friends. Me and my suitemates don't really talk but that's just us. If you have the traditional dorms, it's either automatically a triple or quad you're placed in and you're connected to the next room by a bathroom, so you share a bathroom with the people next door, yum. Please note you clean your bathroom since it's not communal like most colleges. Don't be loud or blast music ever or else you'll get a noise violation like me and my friends.

SOCIAL LIFE: Queens has a lot of clubs and bars but it gets old. There's a shop where you can buy cheap alcohol and they won't card you. There's also a 7/11 where most people go. The street next to the school is dangerous and were always getting emails from public safety saying someone got robbed on Goethals so don't walk alone after 7 especially if you're white. Not saying that to be racist but ALL of the people who got robbed were white. How do I know this? The emails say ?the victim suffered from redness of cheek and refused medical aid? that's how. Nothing dangerous happens on campus though. The lounges and clubs are cool though. Natives (bar/lounge not really) sucks. Area lounge is good. Expect to get bent over and daggered. ;) NYC is 45 minutes TOPS away and that's the best thing about this school. It?s really easy to get to for a person like me who's out of state and from the suburbs and has never been on public transit. Taxis are overpriced. Getting into clubs are a lot of $ even for hot girls like me and my friends.OVERALL: I thought I?d love this school, I really did. But I don't and most people don?t. a lot just put up with it because of the money they got. But I would strongly advise not to go here. It is falsely advertised and not a real college experience. It might've looked good at open house or whatever you went to but it's not like that forever. May I recommend a cheaper school like a CUNY or SUNY that gives you a better education for less money.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
Doing graduate studies at St.Other
Doing graduate studies at St. John's University was my biggest regret. I can make myself feel better about my experience by stating the cliche, "everything happens for a reason" but not every reason has a positive outcome. I can say I have learned nothing from my graduate experience and most of my knowledge has come from working directly in the field. All the financial cost to get this so-called "degree" was not worth it in the end. I could have done a similar job educating myself from home for free. There was no care for the students and students were continuously lied to about what the program could offer. STAY AWAY FROM THE MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAM AT ALL COSTS. FURTHERMORE, STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES ROBERT ESCHENAUER.
St John's University New York