StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

I'm not going to lie.BrightJournalism
I'm not going to lie...the only reason I accepted the offer to this school was to make my family proud. 2 of my cousins went here. One graduated, one transferred out, and now I know why.

That acceptance letter with the "free laptop" postscript did not lure me at all. In actual, this crappy Lenovo laptop is all included in the tuition and get this, if you don't finish the 4 years at the university, you'll have to return it back, plus you have to pay a $50 accidental damage protection fee. This school keeps sucking your money, and that's all there is to it. I mean, why would a commuter student have to pay a campus activity fee if most of the activities are partaken by the residents, at night? I'm pretty sure no commuter student is going to come all the way to the campus, especially given the area, at 10pm and enjoy assorted popcorn and cupcakes. Plus, they spend all this money on these other pointless activities and such. There is not a week where I go to school in the morning and don't see these tents and party supplies being set up. And occasionally, they randomly hand out free stuff t-shirts, pajamas, and all these souvenirs, just for the fun of it. And whose pockets are placed on a burden?

The Freshman Orientation already gave me a bad image of the school. More than 12 hours of lectures and presentations about these clubs and sororities and volunteer work they have to offer, etc. Worst 36 hours of my life in the summer.

To be honest, I did not have a good feeling about this school right off the bat, BEFORE I even started my first semester. I hate the setting of it. And people claim that St. John's has a genuine campus feel and the best campus in New York City? Who are you kidding? Of all the campuses I've been to, I find that Queens College has a warm, genuine feel, rather than this campus, which is full of leg-beating hills and cracked floors. I definitely regret going to this school. I could've accepted my other offers to a CUNY instead.

So my first year has been completed. Let me tell you about my horrific freshman year so far. My freshman advisor was a complete stuck-up, rude, nasty, unhelpful, evoking bitch. She was not helpful and very discouraging, making me feel like there's no hope. The only time she wanted to deal with me was when I told her about my plan to transfer out, there she wanted to be 'helpful' for once in her life. I'm going to withhold her name but she's the most obnoxious advisor I've ever dealt with. And the Freshman Center that's supposed to make freshmens feel welcomed? Joke. Most of the women, with the exception of one or two, at the front desks are rude and cut you off before you even finish your question. Actually, most of the staff here are rude and they won't put much effort to help you unless you know someone who is familiar with them.

And what's up with the no-self registration for the Freshmens? I can pay half (or more than half) of what I pay at St. John's, at a CUNY and register the courses I want independently, with no specific time, and no pressure from the advisors. And the girl who described the African Americans in this school is so right. Well, most of them. I was placed in one class where there were just most of them who didn't give a crap about their education and were the most rude and immature college students I've ever met, just because they go to a private university and feel superior. I came across a kid who even smoked weed before he came to class and sat next to me.

This school honestly does not care about health and safety. There's an area for people to hang out and smoke, awesome! And area where students usually pass through to get to the other side of the school. There is not one day where I don't pass by that area to get to where I have to, and smell smoke on my hair within those few seconds.

The courses are mostly a joke, but there are some pretty bias professors. If they don't like you in the beginning, chances are they won't like you at all, and it will impinge your grades. Of the 9 professors I've had so far, I would say 3-4 of them were good. Some of them, if they have a bad day, they will take it upon their students, which is very unprofessional and uncalled for. Some of them are really lazy and don't use any e-mail communication to update students, etc. And some of them will bombard you with lots of homework, and if you can't keep up, doomsday. Some of the classes are not very easy A's, believe me. I had a professor in a 1100 class who thought we were professional journalists for The New York Times, expecting us to write everything as we were publishing for the world to see. Uh, we're in a BEGINNER'S course!

It's true that most of the people who go to this school are mostly from the NY metro area and Long Island. There are just snobby princesses and princes who just wait to get by a good grade. And then there's people from out-of-state who are actually convinced that they have made it to the Big City but in reality, JAMAICA, QUEENS is actually about 15 miles from the border of Manhattan. If you have offered me to live on campus, even for free, there would be no way in hell. I'm always getting these e-mails, either about a robbery, assault, rape, things along those crimes. This campus is in the middle of NOWHERE. The campus is a pain to walk around. The only decent place is the D'Angelo Center, but people need to learn that the STUDY TABLES are meant for people to shut up and study quietly and peacefully, yet people always grab those chairs from the computers, meant for people to sit on and work on the computers, so they can gather in a group with their little friends and gossip about people loudly. It's a headache to even sit on those comfy couches and try to study when VERONICA over there is gossiping about how some girl is pretending to me someone else, blah, blah, blah.... Some of the people here are the laziest. Why would you take an elevator down/up one floor when you can walk perfectly? It's one thing if you are disabled physically but if you can still run while you're at it, stop being a pig. I walked up 6 floors for 4 years in a high school which forbade students to use the elevators, and I have never complained. Like I said, too many princes and princesses who think St. John's is everything and praise it like it's some religion.

This school is only good if you're going for Pharmacy, and maybe, MAYBE business-related. But there are a lot of better options of schools out there. I am so sick of getting on a bus that barely moves or crowded with hordes of people who complain too much about their lives, on a daily basis, just to get to school. In the end, I'm not happy with where I have ended up. A lot of my friends did not even apply to St. John's and now I know why. It's a waste of money and if you break down the tuition, you're being charged for most of these absurd things you'll probably never do. I'm so glad I'm making every effort to transfer out of this school as soon as I can. I cannot stay here for the next 2 years, definitely not! Honestly, I would go to a community college instead. That's what some girl I know did. She attended this school for one semester and transferred to a community college, because she was sick of it. I don't blame her. If you have already accepted the offer to go to this school, I suggest you drop out of it and catch that train for your 2nd choice. If you are already attending this school and feeling depressed, you better get those transfer applications out soon.

THANK GOODNESS I'M TRANSFERRING.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
THANK GOODNESS I'M TRANSFERRING.
I am writing this review using my cheap Lenovo laptop issued to me by this wonderful joke of a university for free (which means the cost is actually hidden somewhere in the ridiculous fees)

I'll tell you what happened to me, and if you find yourself in a similar position please RUN do NOT walk, RUN from this school...

So, I'm a very intelligent student, from the Midwest with big city dreams (think Sex and the City type dreams) and I couldn't wait to get my life in NYC started!! woot woot! Well, in reality I come from a single parent, lower middle class income family however my mother provided me with private college prep education so I know quality education and when it is lacking. The other Universities that accepted me NYU, Fordham did not offer any financial aid outside of loans which would be absurd for me to accept because I am going to medical school. So I thought Saint John's measly 17K scholarship on top of other loans and grants would be the answer to this conundrum. I was WRONG!!!

This school is a joke and a complete rip off for ANYONE with even a moderate amount of intelligence or ambition.

I am African American myself so hear me LOUDLY when I say this, the students here are ghetto, immature, foul, irresponsible, and the types of minorities that give the rest a bad name. They are completely wasting any money/time spent on college and are only at St. John's for the parties and free food. They are loud, ignorant and will constantly make you guess as to why they are in college. I'll tell you why they're there, because St. John's gives EVERYONE a scholarship, so don't think you're special. If you have a working pulse they will try to flash money to pull you into this intellectual death trap.

Oh and they try to sell you on the diversity? Please. 99% of the students are weird Queens/Bronx/Brooklyn kids, mostly Queens. The Blacks are ignorant, ghetto and have very poor manners. They socialize with other ignorant Blacks. I definitely didn't click with these kids, but I can tell you of several negative encounters I had due to their ridiculous ignorance and immaturity, these are NOT the types of kids that will broaden your ethnic horizons, in fact they'll probably just turn you into a racist if you aren't one.

then there's the indian and chinese/japanese crowds. I'll lump them into one big Asian crowd although they don't really associate with eachother but the point is that this is where you will find the only morsel of decent intelligence at this school. And they all know eachother from high school, etc. so they may be nice to you if you take science classes with them, but don't even think about building any real friendships here. Yes, white people, even you.

Then there are the Whites who you only really see come out during if its the beginning or ending of the school year or if they are freshmen. 99% of them are stupid athletes who are getting a full ride, if not athletes then sorority members, its sort of how the Whites stay together on campus. They are their own family. All they do is sports/parties/sex with each other. They are equally as ignorant as the blacks, just not as loud. They do just enough school work to keep the scholarship. Where do they end up in four years? In the unemployment line with the Blacks I previously mentioned. (Again, I'm Black too, I'm just being honest to prevent any smart person from ending up in the misery I experienced) Oh any other whites are the trashy/jersey shore/long island types. Very alcoholic, fat, unmotivated, carrying or soon to carry STD's/HIV. gross. (I have witnessed all of this, no fiction and I do not believe in undue bias).

Do not come here if you want the NY experience. Your ass will be dropped off in Jamaica Queens (which is nearly the farthest subway stop from Manhattan) which is a ghetto, depressing, crumbling town littered with nothing more than a subway, borders, and random low quality American chinese restaurants. Don't think you're going somewhere with culture and pizazz. In fact, if you're there after 10pm you should NOT be going anywhere in Jamaica unless you want to get shot. The two local bars are pathetic excuses for colleges bars and you'll waste money taking the shady cabs to get there. If you are the type of person who needs socially and intellectual stimulation to be inspired, you will be depressed and unfulfilled here to say the least and I MEAN THIS. heed this warning. Don't come here from out of state just because of the scholarship and wanting to be in NY. you will NOT get to be in NY, you will be in Jamaica, Queens (HUGE DIFFERENCE) and while you can VISIT manhattan you will not be able to build a real life/network/connection there. All the kids at the school are lazy so good luck even finding someone to get on the subway and make the trip to one of the world's most amazing cities! What am I doing? cutting my losses, going to a much better, much cheaper state school that actually has good programs and facilities. I'll be back in nyc on my own terms with little to no debt and WAY less trauma/fatigue/depression.

Oh as far as the academics, if you're smart, you'll want to commit suicide. I know you think you're the witty one and can use it to your advantage (easy classes, easy 4.0 right?) think again...you will become a mental zombie. the courses are so mind numbingly retarded that you will be almost too disgusted to even look at it. yes, they will be easy A's but you will know that you are missing out because those are years wasted not GROWING and improving to make yourself competitive for med/law/grad school. This is not the school for kids who care about their futures. Do not believe the hype from greedy admissions people and idiots who don't realize how low class the school is. Oh and they will try to pretend like St. John's has prestige, LOL, no. Maybe it did in 1827, but in 2011, in Manhattan, most people had no knowledge of St. Johns. NYU? Yes. Columbia? Of Course! St. Johns? Uh....no. please don't spend any money here, whatsoever. Run good children, run!

In summary: this is a low class community college with an ivy league price tag. GOOD LUCK! (please don't choose this school)

This is negative/advice.BrightEducation
This is negative/advice.
The school is very money hungry. I honestly don't think anyone cares about the students. I am transferring and it seems that they don't care about you until you say you are transferring. I had to go to countless meetings and have conversations with some of the people from res life and freshmen life. They came up with the conclusion that I am homesick, of course I'm homesick, I live 750 miles away. I didn't want to tell them that the biggest reason I am transferring is because of the people and the New Yorker mentality. I just hate it.

The school does have a lot to offer however. Study abroad programs are good and you should defiantly go here if you want to study law because I hear the law program is very good, but other than that the academics are nothing special. But of course it looks good on your resume.

Social:I am not a party person, so I don't know about the party scene, I did go to one and I hated it. A lot of students here just want to party and get drunk so if you are serious about your school work you should probably not go here. The gyms are really nice and the work out room is too. Take advantage of that if you decide to go here. The basketball team is um good? They are good enough to be D1 but for a D1 team they're not very good, but if you follow basketball you probably know that.

The school is kind of disorganized, there is a class called discover new york, which is probably the biggest waste of time, it is required that all frosh take it. At first I was excited to take it because I thought it would teach me some useful information like how to take a bus or a train (I'm not from New York) or what parts of the town are dangerous. But I didn't learn anything from the class and as a result I ended up in a very dangerous part of town one night when all I wanted to do was go to the movies. But we managed to get back all right when we talked to NYPD.

The students: I have met some really cool people here, people I am defiantly going to miss when I transfer. But unfortunately. I have met some horribly immature people here. For example, we had a speaker come who survived the genocide in Rwanda, I can honestly say that was probably the most impact-full story that I have ever heard, she was amazing and talked about how it is so important to learn to forgive people. She taught us about things we can take with us throughout our lives. What did the students have to say about it? "Such a waste of time." "Boring" some of the more prominent students I met said "it was good, but it was a waste of time." (How is something good a waste of time?) I looked around and saw people sleeping, texting, talking, on their laptops, and THROWING PAPER BALLS at each other, yes, a bunch of college kids acting like they're in middle school. I was greatly disappointed and knew right then that I defiantly had to transfer. I did not sign up to share classrooms with a bunch of 10 year olds. I know 13 year olds who are more wise and more respectful. It was ridiculous. I can go on and on with more examples of things like that happening in classes.

The administration: They can be helpful when they want to be. But I asked my adviser a lot of questions and she would just send me somewhere else for the answer. What is she getting paid for again?

The dorms: Live off campus, it's as simple as that. Or, I talked to an upperclassman who lives on one of the school apartments on campus, she said they are really nice, probably the best thing about the school.This school just isn't for me, (or anyone else who wants to start working on achieving their goals now who isn't a law or pharmacy major).

Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F