StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL.Quite BrightBiology
DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. saint johns just takes your money and dont give a shit about you. i had roommate problems out the ass and they did not care, the girl even planned to kill me and they still wouldn't switch our rooms. this school sucks the only good thing about them are the teachers. it is a COMMUTER school, they didn't tell us that at orientation. on weekends campus is dry as shit with nothing to do. saint johns spends money on foolishness like stupid events that 2 people attend. the food sucks, after 3 months just the smell alone can make you nauseous. most people are transferring, this school isnt worth the money. the campus is nice though but trust me it is not worth the money. the sports teams SUCK. just please do not waste your time. the area is so country. you would think it would be a great area. think again. just visit this school and do your research because they had me fooled.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F
The first thing is that this school was incredibly easy toBiology
The first thing is that this school was incredibly easy to get into. The fact that the core curriculum takes up so much time is both a positive and a negative. Taking English, a social science and 3 courses in philosophy is essential to making an all round student. However, catholic university or no catholic university, 3 semesters of theology and a useless course called Discover New York is completely uncalled for. Theology courses are used by all students to "boost" their GPA and unless you are a christian this really will not do anything but waste your times especially if you are a science major.

This brings me to my particular department. The major curriculum for my major was horrible; the courses were unbelievably limited and as a Biology major I expected a challenge but all I got were a handful of biology credits and twice that amount in liberal arts courses that were completely useless to me in the long run. My fiancee also went to SJU and her view is similarly unfavorable. She was a non-science major and I noticed that non-science majors had to take a science course to fulfill their math/science requirement. When I saw what they were, it was mortifying. I know other schools within the same tier as SJU whose non-science major students had to not only take a science course but a science course with a lab component which is critical to making a layman understand the scientific method. St John's does not have this.

Finally the administration. Wow, never have I before met such an unhelpful group of people. Not to mention the attitude that they all come with. And I still can't figure out why you would have 12 counters to help students yet every time you come for help there would be no more than 3 representatives waiting to help you DESPITE a long line snaking all they way out the door! And any SJU student can tell you the utter frustration that comes with reaching the counter and realizing 6/10 times that the representatives cannot answer your question and so scatters you all over the campus......

As for social life, I could care less. I am not drinker or a "party person". All I care about is my work and my studies and unfortunately St. John's University did not satisfy any of my thirst for knowledge.

My advice to aspiring undergrads with big ambitions: Make sure and fully scout all the universities in New York before making your decision.

I moved across the country for this school,Quite BrightUndecided
I moved across the country for this school, which was a mistake. In the beginning of the year they make it seem like there's a lot to do, and the food is decent. Toward the middle, everything sucks. The food has been horrible (especially if you don't eat meat or want greasy fries) for the majority of the time I've been here. One of my professors even said they've failed health inspections in the past. Now that the year is almost over, the food is slowly becoming edible again, although it's not consistent. My friends and I like to joke that it's a plot to trick us into thinking it's not so bad so that we'll buy a meal plan next year. (Not that there's a next year here for me; I'm leaving this place after this semester)

Probably a third of the people in my dorm left after the first semester. They had the right idea. This school pretends it's really prestigious, but it's not. When I changed rooms a few months ago, they charged me $4000 and still haven't corrected it. (They said $500 MAXIMUM, which is still unreasonable in my opinion)

There's also this guy named DJ Zeke who plays really loud and annoying music on the walkway near the dorms. Since the walls are so thin, you can't help but hear it, and it's disruptive to studying. Noise is not generally a problem, but there seem to be a lot of people who don't understand what "quiet hours" are. The only people I know who are staying were given full rides by the school. There's no other reason to stay unless you just want to hang out with a lot of loud, stupid, drunk people who sneak in alcohol even though the campus is supposed to be dry.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013