StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

Some programs are more challenging than others.Quite BrightCriminal
Some programs are more challenging than others. I feel like a lot of students here have a negative attitude about this school. Once you get on campus, negativity inundates you, and you almost can't help but break spirit.

You really have to make an effort to enjoy yourself and seize opportunities at this university. The administration is possibly the worst administration that exists, and that can definitely play on your experience here. I suggest considering that. Unfortunately, it is also true that they tend to start your tuition at one rate, and each semester it increases with no explanation, and many billing "mistakes" are made. My roommate and I stopped trying to reach the bursar to get our bills corrected, and most of the time willingly over-paid by several thousand dollars, just because we felt helpless and exhausted of trying to reach out to the administration. It sounds terrible, but several other people did this as well. These are the two most concerning things about the university.

Also, know, if you are a positive person that wants to be around people akin to your-positive-self, I would highly discourage you from coming to this school. Most students here stray (sprint, make a beeline) away from intellectual stimulation and tend not to do care much about engaging in university concerns or events. However, if you are here on scholarship, and want to be challenged, you can definitely find that. There are professors here who can help, and there are enough resources to accomplish a lot here, but you have to be motivated to do that on our own.My experience was pretty much a depressing one here, but that's because I had different expectations, and I am one who cannot shut out my environment...well, towards the end, I was better able to.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2007
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
St. John's is what you make of it.Quite BrightCommunications
St. John's is what you make of it. If you keep complaining and not doing much but that, then you'll hate it. Despite its negatives, if you keep a positive outlook it won't be as bad. As a resident student, I was not aware of the fact that it was a commuter campus. Most people do commute so yes, the weekends can be dead. There are usually frat and house parties but they get busted early so have a back up plan. Manhattan is about 40 minutes away using public transportation -another thing admissions failed to tell us. But you get used to it eventually. Partying in NYC is always fun but alot of places are 21+. Although its a dry campus most people drink and its not hard to get away with if you're smart. Greek life isn't as major as it as on other schools' campuses but if you pledge you're guaranteed more friends and fun. The rules for living here are strict. Everybody has to be signed in and trying to have overnight visitors is a process.

Those are the only negatives in my perspective. The positives are that St. John's is recognizable. People know about this school and it seems more prestigious than it actually is. But that works for the students. You can definitely get an internship and most likely a job in NYC during or after your time here. I think for the most part, the professors I've come across are helpful and do actually want to teach you.Overall, if I could go back in time, I don't know if I would have chosen St. John's. Mainly because of the social scene and I know that's not a good enough reason which is why I would not transfer. So I would recommend it because many people know about this school, it's extremely diverse which is amazing (you'll meet so many interesting and different people), the classload is pretty easy (compared to other schools even), and its in NYC. That definitely helps

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C
There are a lot of students whom youBrightEconomics
There are a lot of students whom you would not expect at first sight to be very scholarly. the school is extremely strict with signing people in, and you are not allowed to have overnight guests of the opposite sex. It seems like everyone gets at least a B but for some professors, it is nearly impossible to get above a B+, some teachers are terrible and don't teach their students a thing, and they are nearly impossible to get a good grade.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013