StudentsReview :: Sarah Lawrence College - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 3
Males 0
Avg years at University 1.7
Research Quality A (9.0)
Research Availability A (9.5)
Research Funding B+ (8.0)
Graduate Politics A- (8.2)
Not Errand Runners A (9.5)
Degree Completion A (9.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (4.1)
Sufficient Pay C (4.5)
Competitiveness A- (8.7)
Education Quality A (9.4)
Faculty Accessibility A+ (9.8)
Useful Research B+ (8.0)
"Individual" treatment A- (8.4)
Friendliness A- (8.4)
Safety B+ (8.1)
Campus Beauty A (9.2)
Campus Maintenance B (6.7)
University Spending A (8.9)
Extracurriculars B (6.9)
Scholastic Success A+ (10.0)
Surrounding City B+ (7.8)
Social Life/ Environment A (9.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]C-
Scholastic SuccessA+
Sarah Lawrence is an amazing institution for theJan 21 2016English
Sarah Lawrence is an amazing institution for the professors and students you will be surrounded by, and the atmosphere you will find yourself in. Choosing Sarah Lawrence for my Graduate program has been the best choice I could have made personally and professionally.A large problem I've found is within the Student Accounts department here at Sarah Lawrence, and how they handle your account/ processing of your student loans. They are not honest about the timing that your loans will arrive/ be ready to be sent out to you. You need to log on to your respective loan company's site, check the disbursement date, and then add up to a week or two for the Sarah Lawrence Student Accounts department to actually send out a disbursement. For people who don't plan or have a back up source of funds for the first month of classes/ rent/ groceries/ life, etc., this is more than an inconvenience-- it is detrimental to the well being of the student both mentally and physically. Monetary stress is part of any student's burden, however, lack of truthfully presented expectations makes even the most well prepared student completely screwed. Make sure you have plenty of funds to cover the month of August, and the month of January because though the Sarah Lawrence Student accounts department will tell you funds will arrive those months-- it will actually be much closer to the first weeks of September and February, respectively. This is my only issue with Sarah Lawrence, and it's frustrating because it could be so easily fixed by more attentive staff or different processing procedures. My first semester, I spoke up and received some help getting my funds several days earlier than other students who didn't. The second semester, I shouldn't have been surprised, but the same thing happened. Luckily I was prepared-- but this experience seriously undercuts the rest of the great qualities this school has to offer. Being put in situations like this make me wish I had continued at a State School that would handle my funds appropriately, and not waste time stressing me out unnecessarily. The continued inaccurate reporting and handling of my loan disbursements does make me wish I had gone elsewhere for my graduate classes; despite how glorious the classes I've experienced have been.
Since I attended SLC as a grad student,Jul 15 2004Other
Since I attended SLC as a grad student, not an undergrad, some of the items did not really apply to me (e.g., I have no idea if there's a "party every night" on campus, since I never lived on campus). Also, the questions about research don't really apply to my experience, as I was a Poetry Writing major.

Overall, the writing faculty is excellent and the graduate studies staff are extremely helpful. SLC encourages students to go where their minds lead them, and fosters an ability for independent work. If you prefer your professors to lead you, then SLC is not the right school for you -- but if you prefer them to be there to help when you need it, then it is. The classes are wonderful, as they tend to be small (generally only 7 to 12 students per workshop or class), and while the conferences with thesis advisors and other professors seem odd at first if you aren't used to that process, turn out to be wonderful experiences.

The academic programs at SLC are wonderful, though I have to say that there was not as much of a sense of community among the graduate students as I would have wished. It was there, but could be much improved/increased. That may have something to do with the fact that grad students tend to lead lives outside of school to a greater degree than undergrad students, as we often have spouses, children, jobs, etc.

In addition, it is VERY expensive -- I owe approximately $50,000 in Stafford student loans, and probably will for the next twenty years. SLC does offer some grants, but they are small (mainly due to not having any large endowments from alums).

The campus itself is beautiful -- the old Tudor buildings, the landscaping, the arbor, etc. Some of the buildings themselves could use some work, but personally I find their somewhat bohemian interiors charming. I can't speak about the dorms, as I never stayed in one.Ultimately, my view is this -- my work improved unbelievably during my time at SLC, and if I had to choose again, I would absolutely attend SLC.

Research Topic(s): Subconscious Archaeology