StudentsReview :: St Lawrence University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Beloit College -- Beloit, WI

I absolutely love this school! I have hadBrightPolitical Science
I absolutely love this school! I have had an incredibly positive experience in my four years at SLU! I would describe my experience as the ideal college experience.

The first item I have been most impressed by, is the level of support offered by faculty, staff and the administration of SLU. Starting with our First Year Program, which is a comprehensive "welcome to college" The FYP is a course that is co-taught by two professors from different departments. Although each FYP have very different topics, they all share the same goal of preparing First Years for success at SLU. One of the professor's is your academic advisor and helps you map out your SLU career. You also live on the same floor as the other students in your FYP providing you instant friends. I found it very helpful in making the transition into college.

As an upperclassmen SLU has provided me a number of unforgettable opportunities. The Government Department sent me on a study tour of the European Union, where I met diplomats, politicians, think tanks and visited the European Court of Justice. I created a student group were I have the opportunity to work with the Canton Mayor, Economic Developer and Vice President of SLU. This summer after graduation I will be traveling to Ethiopia to complete and independent study. With all of these experiences I have had the full support of SLU and would have never been able to do on my own.

Looking to graduation I am extremely happy that we have an excellent Alumni network. Every alum I have met is always very friendly and willing to help out.

My big concern when I applied to SLU was the location. It is in Canton, New York which is a small town in northern New York. What I found out was its location is actually this school's strength. The campus is always vibrant with activities, and an excellent sense of community. The area is beautiful with amazing opportunities for outdoor activities. While at SLU I have learned to white water kayak, climbed many of the high peaks (Adirondacks) and learned back country snowboarding. If you want culture we are an hour and fifteen minutes from Ottawa (Canada's Capital) and and hour and a half from lake placid!I highly recommend a visit to SLU and going on a tour. Once I visited campus I was sold and I have never regretted that decision.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
I shopped a number of small, high qualityBrightOther
I shopped a number of small, high quality liberal arts schools in and around NY state, including Hamilton, Skidmore, Allegheny, and Juniata, and found instant attraction to SLU when i visited. I am an athlete there and the "Athletes Open-House" they put on was first-rate and made each visiting family feel very special. It was also quickly evident how much money the school was investing back into the campus, the educational experience there, and available scholarships and grants for students. After nearly a year here, I'm more impressed with this school than ever. Both the faculty and student body are friendly and serious about their work here. I made the right choice.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C-
Unfortunatley, some freshman come to SLU with anQuite BrightNatural Resources
Unfortunatley, some freshman come to SLU with an unrealistic view of what life at an elite college is really like. Our University has undergone major shifts in academic orientation over the past several years; when coming to SLU you should expect nothing but excellence in terms of academics.

In terms of social life, the lack of civilization causes the student population to turn inward and form the strongest bonds out of any school in the country. Everyone lives on campus, and there is ALWAYS something to do on the weekend, while an abundance of sketchy bars in Canton satisfies one's urge to be off campus. Contrary to what the ignorant freshman wrote before me, school spirit is very strong at school. However, if you have a negative attitude, you will end up having a negative social experience at SLU.

SLU has a very athletic student body and the nearby Adirondacks are great for anyone with a penchant for the outdoors. Backcountry skiing, Ice climbing trips, etc. are often offered by the outdoor program, and many warm weather activities in the fall and spring.SLU is a great college, academic excellence and a unique camaraderie between students sets it apart from every other school in the country.

1st Year Male -- Class 2011