StudentsReview :: The State University of New York - Albany - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY

The State University of New York - Albany

I was super excited to attend, but afterBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was super excited to attend, but after the first week I hated it. The dorms make it very hard to meet people because the doors of the rooms automatically shut and no one seems to leave their room. I am a very friendly person, but had a hard time meeting anyone as many were unapproachable. I did not enjoy my experience at all and kept trying to give it a shot. Going downtown was where you would go for parties and having to be in large packs and hold your bag tightly at all times and still not feel safe was not for me.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Maintenance: B+, University Resource Use: F
The professors are excellent, the staff is not.Quite BrightLinguistics
The professors are excellent, the staff is not. Nine out of ten are incompetent. I have submitted my healthcare payment/paperwork multiple times, and still have received no insurance card--four months later. Also, I have had a hold on my account because of this, so I cannot make my schedule for the spring. Every time I call or go there, whoever I need to see is out of the office, or there is a new form to fill out...even though I have been there several times, faxed my history from my doctor many times, and have literally no health conditions or illnesses...nothing. There is always something nobody mentioned before, or another excuse.

Also you have to make your schedule by yourself. Nobody helps you. You have to look up your requirements for your degree on the internet, then look up times and see if there are seats available, one by one, for every class. It takes forever. If you ask any staff for help, they give you the website of the course catalogue. It is an ongoing joke that "everybody is a Junior" because there is always one more class you need, since no help is available for inquiries about a requirement.

When I first signed up, it was literally no one's job to register me. The registrar told me to go to the department head for my desired major. The department told me to go to this student resource desk. That desk told me to go to the registrar. It took three months after my acceptance for anybody to acknowledge I needed to sign up for classes.

Then, for Thanksgiving break, we were told in an email two weeks prior that we had until noon to leave. Sure enough, at roughly eight in the morning, I kid you not, Res Life was pounding on everybody's door, telling them to check their windows and leave. There was at least five of them literally punching both fists on each door like angry apes. Do they not understand some people are headed eight hours home and were going to sleep in a little? Why bother sending the email about leaving at noon?

The professors are great though, if you can manage to set up a class to attend. I truly have enjoyed the courses offered. Easy enough to get awesome grades, difficult enough that your mind is still engaged.

Surrounding City: A+, University Resource Use: C-
This would be a great school if itSuper BrilliantEnglish
This would be a great school if it wasn't for the faculty, campus, police, constant construction, bureaucracy, and surrounding city.

First, a quote from the first day of an upper level physics course-after a full hour of the professor talking about his own life and qualifications: "You know, I could teach the course, but honestly everything you need to know is in the textbook, so if you don't mind I'm just going to bullshit around for the semester."

That pretty much sums up my four years of experience at SUNY Albany. There were some very good classes, though I could be biased toward them based on how many bad classes I had. Many of the professors took themselves and their own opinions far too seriously to pay attention to what the students were actually saying. I once had a professor shut the door on any student who was more than three minutes late to class. Most of her students were commuters.

The police are hyper-aggressive and don't follow procedure. I had a friend kicked out of school for multiple months without trial. He was later found innocent on an overwhelming amount of evidence, and a total lack of evidence by the accuser. He left the school. More than once during finals week my sleep has been interrupted by police officers in the parking lot keeping their lights, and in one instance, sirens on for the full duration of a traffic stop. In a parking lot. A parking lot that they routinely hit 40 in. You can tell when they pass cars driving on the adjacent road.

On the same token as losing sleep during finals week, sophomore year someone decided it would be a good idea to hire a crew to use a jackhammer outside my window for two hours straight starting at six in the morning.

Going back a paragraph to speak on parking lots, myself and a friend got a ticket on the same day, for the same reason. We both appealed. We both used the same argument, with the same people. One of us got off, one of us did not.

Did I mention the construction? It's everywhere, and it's constant. It's supposed to help the campus look better, but by the time they've finished one project, they've started two more. I went my entire college career minus the first couple months of attendance without the central fountain being open.

Also they couldn't figure out how to squeeze a degree out of almost two hundred credits. You pretty much have to pigeonhole yourself into one or two areas of study if you want to graduate.

This is one of the statements to rate before writing this: "This University is beautifully planned with abounding trees and flowers -- not haphazardly placed concrete."

The University is concrete, and they keep cutting down the remaining trees. So that's a D-.
Then there's Kegs N Eggs. I don't know if you've heard this one. On St. Patrick's day 2011, there were riots in mid to downtown Albany. Almost everyone that was arrested was a St. Rose student. SUNY Albany took the blame for it without a fight. Because of this lack of defense for their students, every graduate's degree is now worth less by reputation.Maybe I was just unlucky, but UAlbany definitely didn't make it any easier on me. Sure, good things happened too, just not good things related to the ~20,000 dollars a year that were spent here.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014