StudentsReview :: University Buffalo - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY

University Buffalo

If you live in Governors we don't haveAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
If you live in Governors we don't have a lot of social events here, in ellicot there are lots of events mostly in the weekends not everyday. I hate the fire drills in governors because I once went out with flip flops when it was really cold when I was in the dining center. We had to walk near the campus and into the buildings for warmth, in ellicot the buildings are not that far from each other, so if you have a fire drill and your cold, you can just go to another building which is really not that far for shelter. The good thing about living in governors is that it's close to your classes and much quieter than ellicot. The housing how it's set up, sucks like hell. The furniture in the rooms are put weridly like the outlet is suppose to be behind the tables not under your bed and which sucks because UB doesnt allow long extention cords. They should have a curtain or a wall in the room because me and my room mate don't sleep at the same time, and the light from our laptops bothers us. The light from our laptops bounces off the room, so when shes doing work in the room, I can't sleep and etc. The housing system really sucks because I moved three times already within less than 2 months while I was here and it's so hard repacking all your stuff and unpacking it even with your friend's help. They should literally install a curtain right in the middle of the room. So, sometimes me or her have to go outside to do work when either of us needs to sleep, but in the hallways even if there's a desk and chair for work, it's still cold. Why don't they have heaters out at the halls when Buffalo is known for it's cold weather? I like how we can control the heat in our room though, but it would be nice if we have access to heat everywhere in the residence building. UB has a lot of diversity, but it doesn't work that way because people will just hang out most of the time with their own ethnic groups. Some people won't help you, sometimes the faculty member put in information wrong. The health center here is really good, you don't have to wait long and they always have free stuff on the counter. The education here, they give a lot of homework that you find yourself not having a lot of free time, or you have to make free time. Here, the only breaks you get is Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Winter Break and Spring Break. You don't get a day off on Veteran's day, Lincoln's birthday, you don't even get a day off if the pope came, however winter break is a month off though. If your struggling, there are tutoring opportunities everywhere, in every residence building there is a tutoring center. I like the events here like learning how to make pillows, the food is good too, but the work is tedious depending on what classes you have of course because some classes drop your lowest test score. There's shuttle buses free of charge if your a UB student. Overall, I'm going back to the city because of what I experience in this school. I don't recommend going to this university if you don't love the cold. You should live off campus to avoid fire drills, and maybe have your own room and sleep or study whenever you want. Honestly, don't come here unless your a heavy sleeper because I get bother by the noise and the light because some room mates forget to turn off their T.V's. The residence building charge you for changing rooms on the first month because they also have to figure out where to put the overcapacity students.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Scholastic Success: A+, Useful Schoolwork: D-
I entered UB as a freshman and haveBrightBiology
I entered UB as a freshman and have attended ever since. I never made the decision to switch schools, and will be here till i graduate. Although it may appear as though I am doing well here, I have made the Dean's list every semester while Pre-Med and a double major; It is a daily struggle to tollerate this university. The only thing I like about this school is the fact I've been here so long that I know how it operates and am used to it here. I have never once felt as though I belonged to the school, most of my classes are 400 kids + and that has not changed in the three years i've been here. Most students are nothing more than a number at this university. I made the choice to attend college and get a degree, and that is what im getting, but if you want to enjoy your time at college I would consider options other than this university.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
I got a BS at UB.Super BrilliantMath
I got a BS at UB. Not what you think - though in the school men's rooms graffiti artists used a different name for UB.In the same vein, everyone I've talked to about UB mentions toilet paper and UB diplomas in the same sentence. Here's why: one of my professors graded my exam by copying the same handwritten sentence over and over then taping it to the answers on my exam. When I went to talk to him about it in his office he handed me another of my exams graded the same way and slammed the door in my face.Another professor decided to change the computer programming assignment he gave us a few days before it was due. I had questions on some exams that made absolutely no sense and were unanswerable, some students just said "the teacher was tough." I talked to one professor about the grading on a test and pointed out that he made a "really big zero" on one of my answers, he just laughed and thought it was the funniest thing. I appealed to the university's ethics board about the situation but of course they didn't really help, oh yeah! it was my fault I got those answers wrong on that test, and taping a copy of the same response to every question on a test is perfectly normal, how silly of me!What would Marilyn Monroe or Hemingway do; now I remember!
5th Year Male -- Class 1992