StudentsReview :: University Buffalo - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY

University Buffalo

I graduated from UB back in 2014 with a BS in Chemistry degSuper BrilliantChemistry
I graduated from UB back in 2014 with a BS in Chemistry degree. I landed an internship, with an unaffiliated company in the greater Buffalo area, and have been rolling in the chemistry field ever since. UB had a few good points, namely the low tuition cost for in-state residents and the new faculty members seeming to care about their students. Another plus was the Campus was in a lovely, very safe city with a local community of very friendly people. But, there are many downsides though to UB.

Parking- the university needs more campus parking. It can take almost 30-60 mins to get a parking spot many days, I remember.

Campus facilties: lots of computer stations to check email and submit reports, which was somewhat helpful. The libraries need a lot of work, but Lockwood library is for beast mode studying.

Dorm Life- I stayed in the dorms one semester and I hated it. The students were unprofessional, undisciplined, and rather listless. Rent an apartment in Amherst and commute. Your study skills will soar and you'll learn independence and time budgeting, useful skills in life and careers.

Faculty- As I said, I was a chemistry major upon graduation, but my first two years I was a declared Physics major. The physics faculty were kind, helpful, approachable, and quite gregarious in helping me get through my 200 and 300 level courses. In chemistry, many of the faculty teaching were cold, condescending, unfriendly, and at times, obtuse. The TAs were understanding and helpful. But, the faculty in chemistry is like a whole new ball club, and I bet there's reasons beyond retirement or other official cover stories!

And with that last comment, I have to state that in my senior year, I learned much more teaching myself the skills used in both the lab and in industrial research, allowing me to gain that internship, and then land job after job in the chemical field. So, go against the currents of UB and teach yourself. With self-taught hard work and mental discipline, you can achieve more than others with major socio-economical advantages and their graduate degrees!

Another negative was the school seeming obsession with telling students in order to succeed, you must go to grad school. I would expect this school's faculty to at least have some idea how to help their future graduates achieve some sort of job after college, instead of just saying "Just go to grad school!" over and over.

My advice: UB is a good school for low cost of attendance and ability to transfer courses to other schools. Many of my classmates took maybe one or two years at most of 1st and 2nd year courses in their major then transferred to a better school with the credits from UB. I was stuck at UB because I did not want to keeping working low-paying full time careers to pay tuition another 3-4 years due to higher charges at better school.

There are positives. The walkways around the North campus are absolutely beautiful during the summer and Fall, with the leaves changing alongside Hamilton and Audubon roads. The North Campus lake is gorgeous year round, and the faculty I had outside chemistry and in the gen. ed classes were nice, intelligent, and very helpful. UB has alot of positives, and with the new chemistry faculty, I can recommend the school to a future chemical student.

4th Year Female -- Class 1923
Faculty Accessibility: B, Education Quality: D
This school is anBrightSociology
This school is an evil institution designed to leach money from its students to the benefit of the evil man who is the president.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
I had the misfortune of enrolling in ubBrightChemistry
I had the misfortune of enrolling in ub from 2003-2013 for an undergrad degree in chemistry. there, I took classes part time (usually 8-11 credit hours) and worked full time to pay. still after taking two years off to work, it took me almost 8 years to complete. the rates per credit hour were reasonable, which was good. and the only good, I might add. the rest was hell. first, everyone there hated the school and each other. honestly I thought everyone was going to shoot each other in dorms at night.

dorms- parties 24/7, even at night. no way to study or get any work done. last few years I had the bright idea to move out and live a normal life in an apartment in Amherst. that was another sad tangent to this story which shall be talked about later.

libraries- the desks were full of graffiti, chewing gum (YEARS old), various bodily substances can be seen on the carpets, desks, and chairs everywhere. although they are quite quiet to study, just bring along some nitrile gloves and disinfectant.

classes- the professors genuinely hate you. seriously, they want you to fail and hate anyone who asks questions. the professors in general hate everything and everyone, including you. god help you if come to them during office hours with a question. the teaching assistants speak really really broken English and can be totally incomprehensible. but they can be your ONLY ally to pass courses.

parking- its a warzone. if you get to the parking lots early like before 9am, you can get a parking spot. but if you don't, then there's no hope for you other than an hour of frustration.

campus police- one time my girlfriend who was a smart enough to not enroll at ub, dropped me off at one of the circles on the north campus, we parked and chatted for like 2-3 minutes since I needed to kill a few before class, when the police showed up behind us ready to issue a parking ticket till we hugged and said goodbye. attacks on students happen all the time from the cretans in buffalo.

social life- I worked all the time full time so I met a lot of people at work in the buffalo areas. virtually all were good people so I made a few friends. inside of ub though, most students were very focused and committed. partied were nonexistent, the frats and sororities were boring and stupid. so yeah, get a job off campus to make friends and party. the parties in Canada rocked though!

finally, I tried to transfer out but found out that anywhere I tried none of the classes for chemistry of physics were accepted anywhere else. I felt like I was in a star trek episode, beamed down to a planet and now realizing I can't leave. after leaving there, I entered therapy for putting up with all this for nearly 8 years. so yeah, don't go there please. life is too short to put up with this bologna.

5th Year Male -- Class 2013