StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Binghamton - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/College Stony Brook -- Stony Brook, NY

The State University of New York Binghamton

Would not send my dog to this school

May 17 2014Unknown
Would not send my dog to this school. Butt ugly. An administration known to be corrupt. A dreadful climate. That is the weather and the overall environment. Great for NY students wanting to hang with their high school friends. Clusters of kids from LI. Clusters of kids speaking Chinese . About as segregated as could be. It is a large generic state school where the solid B students from high school who can't conceive of getting beyond their comfort zone go to repeat middle school. Imagine gum chomping clusters of LI girls giggling and complaining about having to do some work. Ahh its hard whine wine . What a boring student body in a soulless place.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I had a positive experience while getting my

Apr 13 2014Computer Science
I had a positive experience while getting my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Binghamton. I found that if you really take advantage of the opportunities given, you can really succeed. Pretty much everybody I know who graduated from Binghamton got good paying jobs. Several people went on to top companies such as Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook. So there is no doubt that a degree from Binghamton will open many doors to you. There is also interesting research going on and funding is plentiful; so that is an option as well.

Coming from a community college, I struggled my first semester. The academics are Binghamton are much more rigorous and you cover about twice as much material. So, if you are transferring, keep this in mind and try not to over burden yourself like I did.

I especially like the focus that the department puts on preparing students for industry work. You can tell they want you to be a good coder and be able to handle large coding projects. The hands-on nature of the assignments and the emphasis that they place on teaching you to be able to quickly learn new programming languages really helps to tackle problems when working in industry.

In terms of the surrounding area and overall climate, I found the Binghamton surroundings to be rather depressive and the climate harsh. Binghamton is a postindustrial town that has seen better days. The weather is snowy and cold in the winter. However, I am not the kind of person who is affected by that kind of thing, so I actually lived off campus to save money and never had any issues. The University itself is not in Binghamton but about 15 minutes away in Vestal and is very secure.

There is plenty of activities going on on campus and there are many clubs to belong to. I was personally not very active socially, but there certainly is plenty to do on that area.

In terms of cost to value ratio, you really can't go wrong with Binghamton. I graduated with less than 10K and quickly paid that off after graduation.To conclude, I feel that Binghamton is a great school if you make an effort and don't mind the cold weather and crappy surroundings.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Innovation: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-

I'm proud to call Binghamton my second home

Jul 02 2014English
I'm proud to call Binghamton my second home. The school is absolutely wonderful and after a tough transition from another school my freshman year, Binghamton has provided the second home feeling that my other school never gave me.

Starting with academics: There's five different colleges within Binghamton University (Harpur College of arts and sciences, Watson school of engineering, School of Management, CCPA, and the Decker school of nursing) I have friends in each of these schools. I'm in Harpur and so far my experiences have been great. Whenever I have a problem with class registration or needing advice on which classes to take, the advisors at Harpur are always happy to work with me to make sure I get into the classes I need. There are so many different class offerings and so far I've enjoyed all of the classes I have taken. The professors I've had have all been approachable, and whenever I have a problem, I can e-mail them and get a response pretty quick. My friends in SOM, Decker, and Watson all say that there is a ton of work and that it's really difficult but they're enjoying the challenge and they say that the professors they have all do a great job at working with them. My friends in CCPA genuinely like the program, they just wish the classes were on campus rather than downtown.

There's a ton of clubs to choose from on campus, things that you would never even expect there's a club for have their own club. While there's not communication major at Binghamton there is a campus TV station, radio station and newspaper. Clubs provide a great outlet to meet other students and if you don't find a club you like, you're not looking hard enough. Greek life plays a big role in the campus community and they're trying to raise Greek life awareness even more to get more students to join. The Greek Life system is another great way to get involved and those who go Greek always make a ton of friends.

Binghamton doesn't have a ton of things to do at night, but the bars downtown are always pretty fun. There's a ton of bars along with frat parties and sport team house parties. If you're not into going out, you can partake in Late Night Binghamton in the Union with free activities and movies.There's a bowling alley on campus. Off campus there are restaurants and a mall and other things such as movie theaters and roller skating. The campus is undergoing a ton of construction. They recently just completed the new Dickinson community and it's absolutely beautiful. Newing and Dickinson look like hotels inside and out. Mountainview has some pretty new suites and everyone who lives there, falls in love with it more than they ever thought they would. CIW and Hinman are older but both have great communities. CIW is very social while those who are in Hinman never expect to fall in love with it the way they do by the end of the year. The apartment communities are far from the rest of the campus but are quaint. Off campus housing in UP, Twin Rivers and Hawley are all exceptional. UP (University Plaza) is basically in a shopping center with a restaurant, some other causal eateries such as Five Guys, Chipotle, and Cold Stone as well as a Bank, a hair salon, Jenny Craig, and a Starbucks drive through. It's in walking distance to campus incase you miss the bus on a warm day. Twin Rivers and Hawley are both downtown but are beautiful.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016