StudentsReview ™ :: The State University of New York Binghamton - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/College Stony Brook -- Stony Brook, NY

The State University of New York Binghamton

I had a positive experience while getting my

Apr 13 2014Computer Science
I had a positive experience while getting my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Binghamton. I found that if you really take advantage of the opportunities given, you can really succeed. Pretty much everybody I know who graduated from Binghamton got good paying jobs. Several people went on to top companies such as Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook. So there is no doubt that a degree from Binghamton will open many doors to you. There is also interesting research going on and funding is plentiful; so that is an option as well.

Coming from a community college, I struggled my first semester. The academics are Binghamton are much more rigorous and you cover about twice as much material. So, if you are transferring, keep this in mind and try not to over burden yourself like I did.

I especially like the focus that the department puts on preparing students for industry work. You can tell they want you to be a good coder and be able to handle large coding projects. The hands-on nature of the assignments and the emphasis that they place on teaching you to be able to quickly learn new programming languages really helps to tackle problems when working in industry.

In terms of the surrounding area and overall climate, I found the Binghamton surroundings to be rather depressive and the climate harsh. Binghamton is a postindustrial town that has seen better days. The weather is snowy and cold in the winter. However, I am not the kind of person who is affected by that kind of thing, so I actually lived off campus to save money and never had any issues. The University itself is not in Binghamton but about 15 minutes away in Vestal and is very secure.

There is plenty of activities going on on campus and there are many clubs to belong to. I was personally not very active socially, but there certainly is plenty to do on that area.

In terms of cost to value ratio, you really can't go wrong with Binghamton. I graduated with less than 10K and quickly paid that off after graduation.To conclude, I feel that Binghamton is a great school if you make an effort and don't mind the cold weather and crappy surroundings.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Innovation: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-

Binghamton University has been an overall positive experienc

Mar 09 2014Business - Management and Administration
Binghamton University has been an overall positive experience (so far). The business management and administration program has proven to be top-notch. My only real complaint of Binghamton is the city itself. To be honest, Binghamton is completely run-down and there isn't much to do for fun. That aside, Binghamton University is probably the best SUNY school in the entire system and I've loved my time here.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C+

Binghamton is a HORRIBLE UNIVERSITY

Feb 25 2014Economics
Binghamton is a HORRIBLE UNIVERSITY. Trust me, I was an excited freshman and I truly thought college would be the best four years of my life. I was so wrong. It is so gloomy and depressing here. It is almost ALWAYS cloudy and gray, and it snows and rains very often. The student body disgusts me, the guys dress like bums. The student body is mostly pretentious, spoiled long islanders who don't bother to interact with anyone outside of their race. This school is terrible and has left me feeling very depressed.
University Resource Use: A, Education Quality: F