StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Binghamton - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
State University of New York/College Stony Brook -- Stony Brook, NY

The State University of New York Binghamton

My years at SUNY Binghamton were very crucial

Aug 06 2014Biology
My years at SUNY Binghamton were very crucial to my development as a person and as a professional. I was challenged to become a thoughtfully analytic individual in all areas of my life, including work. The faculty members I worked with while at school were bright and engaged. Overall, my time at the university was a great experience.
Starting Job: Graduate Assistant Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A

You can have loads of fun

Jul 29 2014Unknown
You can have loads of fun. t is an extension of high school. Did you go to NY high school and like it? This will be the same except with easier grading. You will have a lot of friends from high school here with you so that makes the transition easier. Many large lecture classes but some discussion classes too. In discussion theres most talk about grades. Students freak at a A-. A 92% gives you the top possible grade so the system helps us graduate with out anything below a A if you put in a solid few hours a week studying. The school was rated top for grade inflation or easy school. The important things are social anyway and everyone here sticks with their high school friends. If they were risk takers would they be here? Binghamton is a prosperous thriving city so there is a lot to do. If you want great restaurants and terrific facilities just go with the money and so the city offers great fun.
5th Year Male -- Class 2018
Social Life: C+, Education Quality: F

I'm proud to call Binghamton my second home

Jul 02 2014English
I'm proud to call Binghamton my second home. The school is absolutely wonderful and after a tough transition from another school my freshman year, Binghamton has provided the second home feeling that my other school never gave me.

Starting with academics: There's five different colleges within Binghamton University (Harpur College of arts and sciences, Watson school of engineering, School of Management, CCPA, and the Decker school of nursing) I have friends in each of these schools. I'm in Harpur and so far my experiences have been great. Whenever I have a problem with class registration or needing advice on which classes to take, the advisors at Harpur are always happy to work with me to make sure I get into the classes I need. There are so many different class offerings and so far I've enjoyed all of the classes I have taken. The professors I've had have all been approachable, and whenever I have a problem, I can e-mail them and get a response pretty quick. My friends in SOM, Decker, and Watson all say that there is a ton of work and that it's really difficult but they're enjoying the challenge and they say that the professors they have all do a great job at working with them. My friends in CCPA genuinely like the program, they just wish the classes were on campus rather than downtown.

There's a ton of clubs to choose from on campus, things that you would never even expect there's a club for have their own club. While there's not communication major at Binghamton there is a campus TV station, radio station and newspaper. Clubs provide a great outlet to meet other students and if you don't find a club you like, you're not looking hard enough. Greek life plays a big role in the campus community and they're trying to raise Greek life awareness even more to get more students to join. The Greek Life system is another great way to get involved and those who go Greek always make a ton of friends.

Binghamton doesn't have a ton of things to do at night, but the bars downtown are always pretty fun. There's a ton of bars along with frat parties and sport team house parties. If you're not into going out, you can partake in Late Night Binghamton in the Union with free activities and movies.There's a bowling alley on campus. Off campus there are restaurants and a mall and other things such as movie theaters and roller skating. The campus is undergoing a ton of construction. They recently just completed the new Dickinson community and it's absolutely beautiful. Newing and Dickinson look like hotels inside and out. Mountainview has some pretty new suites and everyone who lives there, falls in love with it more than they ever thought they would. CIW and Hinman are older but both have great communities. CIW is very social while those who are in Hinman never expect to fall in love with it the way they do by the end of the year. The apartment communities are far from the rest of the campus but are quaint. Off campus housing in UP, Twin Rivers and Hawley are all exceptional. UP (University Plaza) is basically in a shopping center with a restaurant, some other causal eateries such as Five Guys, Chipotle, and Cold Stone as well as a Bank, a hair salon, Jenny Craig, and a Starbucks drive through. It's in walking distance to campus incase you miss the bus on a warm day. Twin Rivers and Hawley are both downtown but are beautiful.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016