StudentsReview ™ :: The State University of New York College Brockport - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY

The State University of New York College Brockport

Brockport is a great school especially for the

Jan 06 2014Perfomance Arts
Brockport is a great school especially for the price. I love the friends I've made and the town. But I wanted to be challenged as a dancer. I came here to dance and had big expectations since this is an accredited dance school. My classes are cake and I'm getting worse. We barely stretch and ballet is viewed as a negative thing here. I have a 40 year old woman in my class who looks like she never dances. It's easier than where I danced in high school I dread going to dance everyday just to lay on the floor and "breathe". If you are an artist this is not the school for you
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: C

I was a dual major at the school

Aug 03 2013Other
I was a dual major at the school (American Studies and Business Administration). Maybe things have changed in the Business program over the last two decades or so, but at the time, you were taught to be a cog in a machine instead of someone that could think about the big picture. The American Studies program (no longer exists) has provided me the tools that I use on a regular basis in gaining understanding of communities as an Urban Planner. One piece of advice...Do internships. If you don't, you will regret it later, especially if you don't come from a connected background or can rely on frat/sorority connections to get you in the door for the first job.
4th Year Male -- Class 1994
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, University Resource Use: C

Attending SUNY Brockport was a waste of four

Jul 29 2013Economics
Attending SUNY Brockport was a waste of four years of my life as well as the financial aid opportunity costs that could have been better put to use at a non-SUNY college. It is important that one realizes that after four years in college, an individual's financial aid substantially and permanently decreases, and choosing the wrong college can easily cripple future opportunities for those who do not come from money.Nevertheless, I must admit that if you're in the market for a party college than SUNY Brockport is paradise for you, as long as you don't mind being harassed by police. However, if you're looking for an education, SUNY Brockport is absolutely not the place for you. Academics are clearly low on the administrations list of priorities. I was, unfortunately, an ignorant small-town boy looking for a good, affordable education and insipiently believed SUNY Brockport's lies about it's academic opportunities. If I could do it over again I would absolutely have chosen a different college.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F