StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Maritime College - Comments and Student Experiences

The State University of New York Maritime College

This school really sucks and is miserable.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This school really sucks and is miserable. It makes you want to go to a any other school but this one. There are about five girls so that sucks and you can't have overnight guests. Most upperclassmen in the regiment are jerks who are still virgins. So they have a chip on their shoulder and try to tell you what to do all the time. Not a good social environment and not enjoyable experience.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Friendliness: B, Individual Value: F
Would not go here unless you really wantQuite BrightUndecided
Would not go here unless you really want to work in the maritime industry. I'm here as a civilian student and have no friends because the MUGs are not allowed to talk to civilian students and I got stuck with an RA for a roommate. My day consists of mostly sitting in my dorm room by myself.There being no girls is worst than i thought, you may think there are girls in the city but 1.It takes 90 minutes to get to the city, and 2.You are not allowed to have overnight guest. Also the campus is empty during the weekend because 80% of the kids are from long island and go home every weekend. I am transferring in the spring!
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
Having graduated from Maritime in the mid 80sQuite BrightEngineering Department
Having graduated from Maritime in the mid 80s I see many common themes from thoses days. At that time we had a new Admiral who was changing the school and enforcing more rules and discipline. No one like change then and I imagine now. The bottom line is Maritime builds leaders and those leaders do exceptionally well in the Marine industry as well as shore side. Although no one like the heavy course load or regiment, the combination of the two plus the summer traing cruises define the graduates. Maritime is a solid school that does transform People who can handle the pressure. Are there better schools? I am sure there are. But my experience is that the school set me for success for the rest of my career. Graduate school was easy in comparison. The lessons I learned there have lasted a life time. The gibberish I read from some of the posts take me back to all my friends who were MT majors tying knots freshman year. I would tell prospective students to go engine and you will never regret the decision.
Preparedness: A Reputation: A