StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Geneseo - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York College at Buffalo -- Buffalo, NY
Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

The State University of New York Geneseo

Nov 09 2014Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
It's not that I hate the school, It's that I dislike it for, however, major reasons. It's in the middle of nowhere, the biggest and best club closed (IB) and the only one left opened is a small, dirty one. The school is almost too small, the hills are taxing, the weather sucks, and the social life is just getting so wasted every weekend. People are nice and helpful, yet always stressed from the work. It's just a lot to suck up and like for 4 years. If I could, I would look elsewhere.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Surrounding City: D-
Sep 24 2014Anthropology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Obviously, I went to Geneseo quite a while ago, but my time there was absolutely wonderful. Yes, it's a small school in a rural area. Greek parties were fun during freshman year, but after that, having a car was an absolute must in order to get up to Rochester or out to Buffalo for better clubs, restaurants, etc. Geneseo was "home base," a comfortable, very beautiful place where you went to school and had your circle of friends, but other worldly opportunities needed to be pursued elsewhere. As for my classmates, they were a very interesting mix of up-staters and city/LI folks who generally got along. The up-staters, in particular, were very genuine and super friendly. As far as academics, they could be tough, but the small class sizes and ability to work with profs was a HUGE advantage when applying to grad schools. BTW, I was accepted to both RISD and Cornell for grad school with my Geneseo degree.Many of the reviews on this site seem like they were written by the same individual with an axe to grind. So, take them with a grain of salt.
Preparedness: B Reputation: F
Sep 06 2013Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This is a RESPONSE to my insanely negative review of SUNY Geneseo 2 reviews down (the negative long review by the bio major that starts off with "in the case of Geneseo..."

I am now at Cornell University for 1 week of classes and 2 weeks total. Let me start by saying...
I don't know what I expected to find at Cornell. Sure, the name drew me to it. But you can see in my jaded review of Geneseo that I was unhappy with a stifling social scene and a general "broken spirit", "close minded" vibe from the student body.

Let me say that I have found ALL THOSE THINGS and WORSE here at Cornell.
My girlfriend gets even dirtier looks when we walk past girls here
Blacks are still mostly segregated to themselves.
Students are VERY, VERY snooty. just like in Geneseo, but I guess here the Ivy league prestige has gotten to their heads

Seriously, almost all of the chill down to earth people I have met are transfers. The students here at Cornell that have been here all four years, from the limited perspective of a 2 week old transfer, appear to have their heads stuck so far up their asses its a wonder they can make it to class.

Speaking of making it to class - I see why Cornell is at the bottom of the Ivy league (maybe its on par with Brown but who cares about Brown) Cornell is GEOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGED. The hill sucks balls and its still warm here - its gonna suck so bad walking up it when its freezing with sleet all over the place. The campus is huge but its huge in a "unfriendly, scary way" instead of in a way that makes you marvel at its beauty. To be fair though there are some pretty cool rivers (gorges?) flowing through it.

The reason I am writing this review here instead of at Cornell is because I want Geneseo students / prospective Geneseo students to know that I just realized - GENESEO ISN'T THAT BAD. Sure, the weekends can tend to get repetitive but as long as you're a normal decent person your first year here you will make friends and at the end of the day you're gonna hang with your friends every weekend no matter what school you go to.

Differences between Cornell vs. Geneseo
Pros of transfering here:

Ivy League;
The few profs I have met really care alot about their students. i am going to a barbeque at my advisors house in a few weeks; Ivy League; Ivy League

Cons:
Stuck up assholes (sure there are those at Geneseo too); campus is huge but buses are mostly inconvenient if you have a class that doesnt exactly align with their twice an hour schedule (I have a 1:25 class but the bus arrives at my stop at 1:15 and is routinely 7 minutes late, effectively removing it as an option)

If I could have gone back and done it all over again I would have stayed at Geneseo. Sure the Ivy league name is cool and all and I think if you're going into investment banking or law then the name is very important. But for med school I'm gonna be so busy here just trying to stay afloat on 12 credits I doubt i can get involved at all for extraacurriculars or research... so I am pretty much destined towards a SUNY med school anyway. Why am i here????

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015