StudentsReview :: Stony Brook University - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY
Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Stony Brook University

I am sure things have changed since iQuite BrightEconomics
I am sure things have changed since i graduated but this is my take on Stony Brook.
Stony Brook is actually a good school with a wide curriculum. I didn't appreciate this during my tenure there but it is. While there are obvious short term issues that every student has with the university, Stony Brook has massive potential due to its size (its getting bigger), growing budget, reasonable fees and massive student intake. There is a good amount of choice when it comes to majors and the course content is usually sufficiently challenging to separate those who are good at what they do from those who are not. When it comes to the teaching aspect, Stony Brook has some wonderful professors and I think that they should tap into this resource a bit more rather than using graduate students as substitutes. All in all, Stony Brook has some excellent programs, a select few of them up there with the best in America and it really is just getting started.

Main academic negative: Too many grad students teaching important classes. Days are long which can limit social activity. Very average business and finance programs.This is the real reason in my opinion why Stony Brook doesn't get more recognition for its excellence as an overall institution. Improve the business and finance programs. Expand the global outreach of the MBA and the MFIN programs if you want Stony Brook to enter the elite echelon of schools it probably is capable of being in.

Institutional cooking has never been considered fine cuisine,however, the food is really not that bad. I attended another institution prior to Stony Brook and can assure that the food was of a comparable level.Once again, the food could be more nutritious but you can certainly live on it. Don't be deterred by the food even though it could be better.

When it comes to extra curricular activities it can be be a challenge. However, I lived on campus during the regular semester, stayed for summer school and me and my friends regularly engaged in various activities, we found ways to stay occupied. Ways to stay occupied included playing sports, going to the mall, going to the movies,going out to eat and occasionally going to manhattan. You can do all of these things without a car.

The party scene can appear dead but it really isn't. Lets face it, its not college if you haven't been to a few parties and there is actually a vibrant party scene around Stony Brook. A few factors may make or break this side for you though. The first factor is you need to be 21, if you're under 21 this really limits what you can do and undeniably your social life may suffer for a couple of years at university. The second factor depends on how sociable you are and how much time you are willing to put in to expanding your circle of friends. I was an international student so I had no advantage of knowing people in the area or people that I went to high school with, at first I knew no one beyond the confines of my dormitory. I am a sociable person and after my first year I honestly felt as if I had grown up in the area. I had a lot of contacts and knew a lot of people beyond the confines of Stony Brook. The key is to go beyond the Stony Brook social circle. There are a lot of bars in Port Jeff, you have around six to choose from and if you want to go a little further you can go to places like Patchogue. Manhattan can be an expensive and lengthy option. Just surround yourself with like minded people who want to go out and if you can get to know some people who go to Stony Brook that grew up in the close vicinity then you are golden. If you do this you will have no problem going out and having some good nights.

Overall experience was a 7/10. Would I do it again? No chance but I wouldn't choose to go through any undergraduate education again at any school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Friendliness: A, Collaboration/Competitive: C+
I'm thankfully in a good program here.Quite BrightPsychology
I'm thankfully in a good program here. I have friends who are science majors who drown in work all the time. It's what they signed up for, but it's still rough.

In science, and especially math, courses, there's a very good chance your professor's English will be dreadful at best.

However, these programs are both difficult and good if you can handle the difficulty and get good enough grades for your next school if you're going to continue on.

The absolute horrendous part of this school is living here. I've tried finding ways I can make a 2.5 hour commute because it's so horrible. It's essentially a commuter school, and those who live on campus often leave for the weekends. The residence halls range from fine to disgusting and leave a lot to be desired. Housing is also competitive, so if you're stuck somewhere bad, there's a chance you'll be there the entire time you're on campus. Off-campus housing is also very difficult to find, so good luck trying to leave. Most people who live on campus are forced into a meal plan, and there is a food complaints page on facebook because of how horrible the quality of the food is and because of the frequency of food poisoning. Small portion sizes and moldy food are quite common offenders.

If you like partying, it's not so easy here. You have to get a ride to an unknown place from the frat guys and then take a taxi back. It's an expensive night, and you wait a long time for a ride both ways.

Overall, the academics are good. If you can come without having to live on campus, it's worth it. Living on campus is so horrible it makes me wish I never came at all. I love the opportunities I've gotten in my department, but nothing is worth living like this every day.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
Stony Brook is an interesting University and IQuite BrightAnthropology
Stony Brook is an interesting University and I mean this in a lot of ways. Academically, the University's curriculums are designed to "weed out" the individuals who are not innately genius. A professor has told me... "we dont like when the class average is a B". Basically, the work is extremely difficult, almost past undergraduate level, and it is simply uncalled for.

The campus-life is also a tad bit dry. Not much goes on during the weekends since most students are from the NYC area and commute home. Furthermore, Weekly life consists of moving from class to class with very little interaction from others.

Faculty are fairly nice. The transportation service is improving ( which it should since I pay for it), the food isn.t great but isn't terrible..... I guess just do your research and visit before you make the final choice. I would have chosen a different school, had I known.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014