StudentsReview :: Stony Brook University - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY
Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook is an academically well know university.BrightEconomics
Stony Brook is an academically well know university. I went a community college my first 2 years and transferred right after as a commuter. The thing about Stony Brook is that it is academically challenging school. The social life is not good unless you know someone with party connects other wise you are going to be bored especially if you on campus. Out of the 30K students that go to Stony Brook I would say a good chunk on them are commuter students. If you are looking to be challenged in your field of study be prepared because this school is tough and expects you to be on top of your work. I made the mistake of taken my school work for granted my first year and had a sub 2.0 GPA, they placed me on academic probation and gave me a semester to bring my GPA up or get suspended out. As your academic career continues be sure to take classes that interest you and visit the career center they are very helpful and want to see you succeed. The campus is beautiful especially in the fall when the leaves change. The only thing that I did not really like is that the school is about 50% international students mostly from Asia. I'm not against Asians but I couldn't understand them when they were in groups and it makes you an outsider.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A, Social Life: C
I am a suicide survivor.Not so brightBiology
I am a suicide survivor. My family has questioned why, but after reading this they will know the answer. The only reason I went to Stony Brook is because I failed my SATs. I like to think of Stony Brook as my local walmart. You pay cheap money, you get a cheap roll of toilex. I learned this the hard way. They literally accept everybody irregardless of race, religion, intelligence, etc. It's like a rainbow up in here. Want to smoke marajuana? No problem! No need to apply to schools in Colorodo. Just come here. Be careful, Stony Brook is very good at false advertising. You know the saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Stony Brook is not exactly your Caribbean paradise. They food poison you and rip you off while doing it. Also, would you want to be in a class of 1000 with people you don't even like? Most of the classes are hard as hell. One time, I got out of a biochemistry exam whacked out of my mind almost got into a car accident. Don't get me wrong, I was a very good student. I graduated from the school with a honors degree. But that piece of toilet paper don't get you jobs in the real world. Lesson learned: don't ever put SBU on a resume even if you went. Stony Brook is haunted with ghosts literally. I know a few guys jumped off the Chem building and some the Physics building. Some did it in Roth. My Chem TA from freshman year who I dearly loved, I have no idea what happened to her. Said she offed herself or some shit. My best friend from high school was on the same boat as me. Graduated, can't find a job, disgraced his family. Next thing I know he booked a flight to the Grand Canyon. Lord knows what he did after that. Haven't heard back from him since, not even a text, so I'm presuming... Like damn son, you should've took me with you. But I prefer harakiri. Please don't come to this MFing school. Anyway this is YOUR life. If you end up one day on the top of the Chem building, not even spiderman can save you. I can only give you the knowledge that you deserve. You cannot censor me Stony Brook. I will forever be free to speak my mind.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Ok... so after being here for 3 years,Quite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Ok... so after being here for 3 years, this school has actually been improving significantly due to their reputation and lack of social life. To be honest, I completely hated it here my first year, my 2nd year was slightly better, and it took until my 3rd year to realize that this actually is a really great school with potential for anyone. There's an insane amount of diversity, international students, and you can find just about anyone here from all over the world. My advise: make friends from everyone around the world, keep strong connections, diversity your worldview, and just join every club and randomly chat with people. 99% of them you won't click with but you will find a couple that you can click with. If you have an open mind in that way this will be a great school for you. If you are rather close-minded and not really into making new diverse friends, travelling to NYC ect..., then you will most likely find this place boring, since on the outside it IS boring. There's no college town at all, and pretty much everyone leaves on the weekends, few parties, difficult classes/faculty. Just look beyond the cold, unwelcoming immature undergrads that take up most of this school and you'll find some really interesting, enjoyable people whom you've never met before. Just keep looking deeper and you will soon find greatness here.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014