StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Empire State College - Comments and Student Experiences

The State University of New York Empire State College

The only thing that has prevented me from

Jun 15 2014Telecommunications
The only thing that has prevented me from giving the school 5 stars is the problem I have with the administrative functions of the school. I have heard complaints from other students about mentorship and sometimes how these people are oblivious as to what mentorship really means. Some of our instructors can also take lessons in T.L.C. A major complaint of mine, has to do with our school not administering honors degrees, and not allowing a student roundtable chosen by the student population each year, to air student concerns. The education here is excellent, however, and the graduate research format presented to undergraduates, is something that I very much appreciate.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, Innovation: F

This whole school is a mess

Mar 06 2012Business - Management and Administration
This whole school is a mess. I decided to go back to school in order to get my Bachelor's Degree, and I made the big mistake to go to Empire State. When speaking with my advisor, they never gave me any indication that there was anything wrong with the classes I've been taken. I'm supposed to graduate in May, yet I wasn't told until classes this semester had already started that my classes apparently aren't going to help me graduate. Yet nobody told me. Then, to make matters worse, I recently learned that the school decided to take a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR LOAN out in my name for me and wrote me down to graduate in 2016. I wasn't informed that they took this giant loan out for me (that they expect me to pay for) and now they're still giving me lines to cover their asses. This school is absolutely horrible and I would not recommend anybody going here. Avoid Empire State at all costs, unless you want to be paying through the nose for loans they illegally take out in your name.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: F

I have attended the school for three semesters

Oct 13 2012Criminal
I have attended the school for three semesters and plan to graduate in June 2013. I have found the school challenging and a positive experience overall. I have been taking classes in the Hudson Valey region. My degree will be in Human and Community Services with a concentration in criminal justice. I have worked in law enforcement for thirteen years and this is the first time I have actually attended college. I did not know what to expect when I started. I was nervous and not sure if I was going to be able to handle going to school and working full time. The staff have been extremely helpful and my mentor has made this process easy and enjoyable. The workload has been managable with having a full time job. I have been able to receive over thirty five credits for classes and training I have taken in law enforcement through their prior learning assessment program. I highly reccomend this school to anyone in law enforcement and wish I had done this earlier in my career. Upon completion I intend to continue my education and go for an MPA. This is a college designed for adults. You get what you put into it. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure you are doing the work. That is your responsibility. Overall it has been a great experience.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013