StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Empire State College - Comments and Student Experiences

The State University of New York Empire State College

Nov 28 2014Social Work
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This college isn't a bad college and has improved a long way from several years ago. What attracted me to it was that it had mentoring and face to face discussions. You can agree and disagree with the professors and no one will throw a fit at you. Most of the professors I studied under were helpful and did give swifts replies to emails. They were also flexible with textbooks and didn't force me to buy the newest editions. Heck, some of the professors even showed me how to get the cheapest deals for books or would lend me their books until mine arrived. So that's definitely a plus.

Also, this college is under SUNY. That's well recognized and respected. My only issue with the school would be that there are some times when the professors would have time off and I would email them, but get an automatic reply saying they were away. Yet, eventually the professor would reply. So i just wished that there was a heads up when professors were going away, even though they still do reply to your emails.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Education Quality: B+
Jun 15 2014Telecommunications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The only thing that has prevented me from giving the school 5 stars is the problem I have with the administrative functions of the school. I have heard complaints from other students about mentorship and sometimes how these people are oblivious as to what mentorship really means. Some of our instructors can also take lessons in T.L.C. A major complaint of mine, has to do with our school not administering honors degrees, and not allowing a student roundtable chosen by the student population each year, to air student concerns. The education here is excellent, however, and the graduate research format presented to undergraduates, is something that I very much appreciate.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, Innovation: F
Oct 13 2012Criminal
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have attended the school for three semesters and plan to graduate in June 2013. I have found the school challenging and a positive experience overall. I have been taking classes in the Hudson Valey region. My degree will be in Human and Community Services with a concentration in criminal justice. I have worked in law enforcement for thirteen years and this is the first time I have actually attended college. I did not know what to expect when I started. I was nervous and not sure if I was going to be able to handle going to school and working full time. The staff have been extremely helpful and my mentor has made this process easy and enjoyable. The workload has been managable with having a full time job. I have been able to receive over thirty five credits for classes and training I have taken in law enforcement through their prior learning assessment program. I highly reccomend this school to anyone in law enforcement and wish I had done this earlier in my career. Upon completion I intend to continue my education and go for an MPA. This is a college designed for adults. You get what you put into it. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure you are doing the work. That is your responsibility. Overall it has been a great experience.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013