StudentsReview :: The State University of New York College - Old Westbury - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
Arizona State University West -- Pheonix, AZ
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The State University of New York College - Old Westbury

SUNY Old Westbury BY FAR employs the mostEducation
SUNY Old Westbury BY FAR employs the most useless, lazy, unwilling to help staff I have ever come across in my life. They are less helpful and motivated than foreign customer service agents that work in outsourced facilities for American companies. They are derogatory and rude, and that's if you can even get them to answer a question/letter/email. I moved out of state only to realize that outside of snotty Long Island, people actually help. I will NEVER return to or recommend Old Westbury. They did not help me with a job at all either - no career development whatsoever.
This school is THE WORST !! I justQuite BrightCommunications
This school is THE WORST !! I just transferred there spring 2012 and I should have thought twice before confirming my acceptance. The school is unorganized, hit you with all type of hidden charges and post final grades on THEIR TIME. The students there have no home training and are so immature !. The food is horrible and I mean disgusting and SOME of the faculty are so rude to students. You really need to have a car, if you plan on staying on campus and it's a complete ghost town on weekends. I would highly recommend that perspective students do their research and actually visit before you take on the offer. If I could, I would transfer, but I graduate next year...THANK GOD !!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
I attened suny oneonta my first year.Quite BrightAccounting
I attened suny oneonta my first year. The classes there were challenging. Professors not only taught what was in the textbooks, but they also encourage students to open their minds to more complex concepts. many of the professors actively participated in furthering their knowledge of the subjects they taught. Money and a place to live during the summer forced me to come home and go to suffolk community college and work my way through school. It was not feasible for me to finance year round housing upstate while not working. I would be in my fourth year right now with 30k in student loans...

After two years at suffolk (wow that school was terrible) I transferred to old westbury. Its the end of my second semester, and I regret ever coming here. The professors are horrible. If they have a phd, they most likely are alumni of old westbury or some other low ranking school. The only professors that have added any value to my education are not full time professors. They work for a living and educating students is a past time for them, not their living.

The education is a joke. Even suffolk community presented me with more of a challenge. I show up to class only because attendance counts. Other than that professors spoon feed you everything they will test you on. I am a solid B student and I get straight a's at this school without even doing outside work. I feel like I'm in highschool again, and I find myself longing to be with like-minded students that actually desire to be challanged to think.

Don't be completely discouraged. The business program is like its own little school within the school. The students within the business program seem to be the new focus of the school. They even constructed a new building just for business students. Its obvious that the business program strives to be segregated from the general student body.

The classes you are forced to take to earn a degree are limited in scope and genrally lack any educational benefit. I think its more beneficial to have more traditioal classes. Instead, you must take cllasees like african studies. Even higher level english classes are racist crap, I had to take multicultural persepctives as an english class. The professor was a black woman who reminded me of some gospel preacher. I felt like she did nothing more than promote racism. It was comical listening to her speak because she tried so hard to sound sophisticated. The only way I would recommend coming to this school is if you want to work thru school and graduate with no debt like me. Other than that... you will get a much better education elsewhere... my suggestion is that you go away for school and give yourself any opportunity to experience personal growth while getting a quality education. You will never want to spend a second on this campus you don't have to!

1st Year Male -- Class 2013