StudentsReview :: Buffalo State SUNY - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York College at Geneseo -- Geneseo, NY
Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Buffalo State SUNY

I was an English Education major who completedBrightEnglish
I was an English Education major who completed both my undergraduate and graduate work at the college. I am so sick of hearing people say, "Buff State is not UB." No kidding. I attended UB before I switched to Buff State and found my experience much more educationally enriching at the latter (especially for my major). Like anything in life, you will get out of it what you put in to it. I left the school VERY WELL prepared and found a teaching job in Buffalo relatively easily (not an easy feat). I credit both the English and Education departments for providing me with a great education and tons of help and support. Get involved, do your work, get to know your professors, and don't act like a tool. You will get along just fine.
4th Year Female -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C
I have 1 final course to take beforeQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
I have 1 final course to take before getting my BS. A comprehensive "weed out exam" is given to all students entering this course. Out of 30 students who took this exam for the spring 2012 only 10 passed. This seems a bit unfair to hold students up to academic standards until they have one course before graduating. Please keep in mind this is only a BS degree not a graduate program.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Honestly, I hated this place passionately.Super BrilliantComputer Science
Honestly, I hated this place passionately. They spend a lot of time trying to look good and not actually live up to it (orientation was well planned.)

As with any school teachers will be hit or miss, although I felt lucky with most of my professors compared to what other students had told me about their classes. The administration is the problem, terrible decisions.

Many students accidentally come here thinking they are going to University of Buffalo (UB), including myself. If you are not an art major, UB does everything better than Buffalo State.

The city itself is depressed, and the college reflects it. It's the run-of-the-mill busy work typical of most state colleges. Tons of money is currently being spend to improve the aesthetics, while ignoring the sad state of technology in the classrooms. I would prefer to think that functionality takes precedence over the eye candy that is used to draw even more students into this academic trap.

The diversity of this campus is a failure. It's as cliquey as high school. I'm not sure why it just doesn't work, but most other places I've been seem to flow more naturally when it comes to diversity.

Rather than write a book, the rest is useful information in list form: the food is terrible, over priced, and the staff are rude and slow; items are continually out of stock, or just unstocked; the computer equipment and printers are always broken or in bad shape and not updated; it is hard to find a computer in the study quad during the day because 1/2 of the students are playing on facebook; the dorm network is slow, with barely any assistance; computer services are impossible to contact; construction has most of the courtyard fenced off into narrow pathways and parking lots unavailable... right dead in the middle of the semester; parking is terrible without construction; the parking lot is in a really shady side of the campus... (search the web for the number of sexual assaults that happened in Fall 08); there is not enough dorms for students, and with less than 10 days notice new students will find that they are housed in a hotel 2 - 5 miles off campus, completely disconnected with campus life... for the same price as on campus (often more when you add in the price of other accommodations); when I arrived to my real dorm the 2nd semester I was there it was still under construction so you could hear them hammering away at 10 am, and the bathroom stalls were separated by plywood until doors were installed; campus security selectively IDs, often too busy with their cell phones to actually work; RA's are selective and pick favorites; heat in the dorms is often insufficient, and then left on through May, making it unbearably hot; classes are often canceled without any fair notice by professors who will then penalize you for being late to class; NY Alert system notices are sent too late to be of any value; Spring 2007 a student was stabbed on campus by another over a drug deal; Fall 2009 an attempted drive-by shooting occurred at the far end of the parking lot (search Buffalo News for it).

Bottom line: if you are a motivated student looking to be challenged, don't go here. If you are looking for degree without working for it, and prefer to party above all else, this is more of your type of campus. Bars close at 4 am, drinking is allowed on campus, you'll overlook a lot of the bad stuff if you concern yourself with instant gratification.Without a doubt, this was the most miserable 2 years of my entire life.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009