StudentsReview :: The State University of New York College of Technology Canton - Comments and Student Experiences

The State University of New York College of Technology Canton

It was like a dream

Mar 04 2014Business - Management and Administration
It was like a dream. I couldn't call it a nightmare. There were hard times. There were good times.
Funny things about their athletics.
They have a pool, but no swim team.
They have a field with a stadium, no football.
They have a volleyball team, that looks like local talent.
They have a softball team, all steriotypical softball girls.
They have a basketball team? I think. Never seen a game.
But they have better talent at that school who just dont give a damn. The school doesnt even motivate them to play there.

The hockey team fired a coach the seaseon after their team won a championship with a record of 28-2-2.

That devistated about 20 kids from their chances of moving on in hockey.
Number One:
The student body is like 85 percent black, inner city ghetto kids. Gang affiliated tattoos, slang, handshakes, and attitudes.

We left out the 15 percent white kids. Redneck, earthy, fat, and un-attractive. Gotta say a two's a ten at Canton. Ehh. maybe a 6 or 7 at a big University.

Number Two:
Faculty, hands down accessible, but they're your worst enemy. They're negaitve, They're looking for any reason to make a report, They also seemingly hold double standards towards their white students. They'll report you in a heart beat.

Side Note:
The academics here, isn't that bad. Not too hard, Almost no work. Almost no real difficulty. The teachers basically hand you the class. Just get there on time.

Number Three:
I lived in Heritage, North.
Built probably in the 1950's 1940's for the military in case someone invaded off of the St. Lawrence river and needed housing for the damn military.

Cement, no phone reception, old school fighting ring style wings to the buildings. Very loud at night. Along with Bates.

Fuck yeah, what a place.
Number Four?:

The kids are there to try and get better. I feel like nobody's ever helped the students before they got to Canton. So they're there, and unprepared. That's all. But they can be ruthless and rude. Mean and disrespectful.

class is One Hell of a Story.
Number Five:
The men's ice hockey team went 28 wins, 2 losses, 2 ties. They fire the coach next semester. Suny Canton ruined like, 20 kids positions on a College Team when they fired him.

Number Six:
After going to another university, I've decided that new gym at Canton, is beast. Nobody comes close.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A, Surrounding City: D+

New athletic complex but

Sep 21 2013Accounting
New athletic complex but they do not take care of it and it is not looking new anymore. Many violent crimes on campus. My first day my roommate was smoking pot in our room when my parents dropped me off. Major drug addicts on campus. Kid was stabbed on campus. Food is horrible!

I am a commuter student and a resident

Jan 10 2014Other
I am a commuter student and a resident of Canton. I only went to this school so that I could get my general education in liberal arts done before transferring to a bachelors program somewhere else without spending too much money. I will start with the positives aspects about this school. First off, many of the professors are helpful and are happy to answer any question. If you do your work and do not goof off in class they will always be willing to help you. The classes are small, so they will notice and point out the fact that you are not doing your work or coming to class if that is the case. Also, if you are looking for an easy way to just pass classes without doing much work, this is the right school for you because there is either no homework at all, or the class is so easy that it takes a few minutes to do, or the professor just looks at it and counts it for turning it in. So far, I only had one professor grade my homework and that was in a calculus class. Now for the negative aspects. I will say that for this school, the bad outweighs the good in my opinion. The registrar and financial aid offices have attitude problems and are not helpful. They are condescending and are slow at processing and doing transcript requests. I feel that the quality of education is lacking at this college. Many professors cannot speak clear English. There have been many times where I found myself sitting in class wondering what a professor just said, and had to go home and teach myself. In my opinion, if the professor cannot speak clear English and is teaching in a college in America where almost everyone on campus speaks English, then they should not be hired. Why compromise student's education just to have a professor that does not speak English when there are many PhD graduates that can speak clearly and teach better. Also there are constant drug busts and small crimes on campus. Yes, somebody did get stabbed at this school. There are many gangs and the school is now filled with city kids, and I mean the inner city places and rougher parts of those cities. From my experience, the students are rude and do not care about weather they pass or fail. I have never met a more incompetent, uncaring, and uninterested student body. Students tend to form cliques and it is hard to get in those cliques once they are already formed. Everybody is loud and disrespectful to the professors while they are teaching. Many times people are talking or texting, some even talk on their phone in the middle of class. People literally have a full blown conversation with each other in a dead silent classroom where a professor is teaching and nobody does anything about it. I am frustrated with this because it is distracting. All in all, I do not recommend this school for people that want a challenging or quality education. I cannot wait to get my last credits done and go to a serious school where the people actually care about academics.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014