StudentsReview :: Syracuse University - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University

I'm a freshman so I still have a

Oct 16 2014Biology
I'm a freshman so I still have a long way to go, but since I've been here, I've had a really positive experience. One of the first things I did on campus was join the marching band, so I haven't had to worry about not having friends or feeling like I don't fit in (I can, however, see how others might feel that way. Some of our students are quite snobby).

The school offers a lot in terms of things to do on weekends and evenings. We will have guest lecturers come in, parties at the student center, bowling, and many other activities (most are posted through the Orange After Dark activities board). If people say there's nothing to do, they haven't been looking hard enough.

Most of my classes aren't too bad. They're easier than I expected, but that's just because high school prepared me well (and intro courses usually aren't very challenging anyway). There's a wide array of academic abilities in students, but that's ok. Teachers will make sure you understand the material and give you plenty of help before/after class and during office hours.I haven't experienced the winter here yet, but the fall has been very nice. The end of summer was really hot but it's cooled down substantially in the past few weeks. The trees are all gorgeous and the view from down by the dome or up by the apartments is breathtaking.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A, Collaboration/Competitive: C

So many inconveniences with this University

Aug 06 2014Unknown
So many inconveniences with this University. I'm not even a student here. I came from Florida to work in one of the chemical engineering labs over the Summer and I am so glad I'm not staying. I don't know anything about the education quality here but everything else is just utterly terrible. The location of this university is poor in every way. It's right next to a sketch neighborhood where there's always new rumors of stabbings and the nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away by car. I've been living in Haven Hall and the place is a complete Dante's Inferno. I don't care that it's old and falling apart but the RA's aren't friendly at all and there's always people keying into your room while your gone to do room checks and clean windows. The idiots running residence life here believe surge protectors and extension cords (which are definitely needed in these rooms) are fire hazards. The worst part about residence life here by far is the shitty WIFI. About every 5 minutes I lose connection and have to reload my browser. This is with the main WIFI service here for students and it's just as bad in all the other residence halls. The only good connection spots are in classroom buildings, otherwise it's practically impossible to get anything done back in your room without going insane. Also a lot of the students here (they're not even frat stars) are complete morons, running around screaming and acting ratchet. I feel bad for anyone who has to go to school here against their will.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A, University Resource Use: F

Syracuse University, although it has decent-to-good academic

Aug 08 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Syracuse University, although it has decent-to-good academic programs, is a place for people who:

-Love Syracuse sports (Go Orange!)
-Hold a lot of value to (joining) the Greek system
-Believe college is all about partying and drinking, like in Hollywood films about college
-Want to be around their wealthy New England friends from childhood/high school
While I enjoyed the classes I took, I have my doubts as to whether or not it was actually worth the enormous amount of tuition money (especially if you have doubts of whether or not you'll be able to gain employment after graduation). If you are a die-hard fan that bleeds orange, then you should have no worry about your tuition money. If you think the best university for you should place more emphasis on academics over sports, it would be wise to look away from Syracuse University.

The city of Syracuse itself, based on observation, pre-orientation programs, and the words of friends from the Syracuse area (suburban and urban), is, simply, depressing to an enormous degree. The bus system, including the paths connected to the university, can be unreliable to a frustrating degree. If you don't have a car and don't click with people ASAP in your freshman year, your range of activities becomes very limited. And while robberies and other crimes do happen every now and again, the city itself isn't that bad compared to a good number of U.S. cities (but caution is still recommended).

The students are mostly wealthy New Englanders who are very into the Greek system and you can feel isolated at Syracuse University if you don't take part in frats/sororities. With this and the large amount of student debt in mind, I would recommend for people in middle class, lower-middle class, or working class backgrounds to look for another university (unless you are willing to make networking connections and land a high-paying job after graduation with people that see the world differently. Or work on getting really rewarding scholarships to help alleviate student debt woes). Also if you aren't into partying or getting smashed drunk every weekend, you may find it hard to adapt at Syracuse.

On a more positive note, the dining hall food and the selection available is surprisingly good. Also, if you have the opportunity, the study abroad program has a lot of options and they tend to be very rewarding experiences!Overall, while I don't dislike Syracuse University, it would be unwise & unfair to state that this university is for everyone. There are more cost-effective university options if you are looking for an enriching academic experience. If you want to feel confident about your sober, reserved, and or modest way of life and keep yourself that way, the students at Syracuse will definitely put your way of life to the test. If you think you may have Seasonal Depression or if you cannot handle cold weather, file a restraining order on the possibility of Syracuse. If you think you can handle the debt, love the Syracuse sports teams, want a taste of New England high culture amongst young adults, have an affinity for Greek lifestyle, and or want the glory of being the biggest connoisseur of alcohol in all of New England, you just struck gold in paradise.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015