StudentsReview :: Syracuse University - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University

Not exaggerating when I say I owe my

Apr 09 2014Telecommunications
Not exaggerating when I say I owe my entire current professional life to what I learned at Syracuse. The communications school is a consensus top 3 nationally, and for good reason. They prepare you incredibly well for the professional world.Meanwhile, social life on the campus is top notch. I grew exponentially as a person in my 4 years at 'Cuse. It can't be beat. Go Orange.
Preparedness: A Reputation: A+

I've lived in Syracuse for over a decade,

Feb 17 2014School of Information
I've lived in Syracuse for over a decade, and now that I'm going to SU, and read the cities reviews, I had to make a comment. Seeing people rip on my city, and our school made me sad. Something you've got to learn around here is that if you aren't happy, if you aren't having fun, the issue is YOU. 140,000 permanent residents like it enough to stay. If you want you can rave at the Westcott, or the F Shed to a pretty great variety of music. On those rare days it's sunny enough drive out to Lake Oneida and hit the beach. Locals buy boats and yachts. Ski, snowboard in winter. Admittedly a 200 year old city that grew up on the Erie Canal, out of operation for around a century now, and was a center of the salt trade, back before refrigeration, may not be the best place to be a typicalalcoholic self obsessed student, but people with character really shine here.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I like SU. Some of the out of towners are stuck up and it's irritating hearing how it doesn't measure up, but most are pretty decent.Faculty is quality, is friendly, and available, so make the most of them.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: F

I LOVE SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY

Nov 08 2013Communications
I LOVE SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY. It has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life thus far. It's also one of the proudest decisions I've made. I have a lot of School pride but it isn't without reason...I'll give you 10. Here goes: 1. I came here with an open mind and with the intent of really getting to know who I am and SU gave me that opportunity. I explored my creativity and eventually (with some patience) found my nitch. 2. I love my department. My faculty is helpful, caring and very dedicated to the field. I and in the CRS department which gets a bad name because we are not Newhouse, but I personally wouldn't want to be in Newhouse because it's more fitting for people who have a very focused area of communication. For example, in TRF, you're TRF there is not flexibility in curriculum. For me, I want to focus my COM degree in politics but I only realized this when I had the opportunity to explore the curriculum. If I went into PR (Which is what I was thinking of doing) I wouldn't have gotten to this realization yet. 3. The Student Organizations I've had the pleasure of being in were all very important to my sanity, creativity, and leadership development. I've built families from my orgs that I'll have for a lifetime. 4. SU is all about giving back. We do it in our orgs and the university also does it. Nancy Cantor's scholarship in action initiative really attracted me to the school and was very important to me during my time here. Connecting the city of Syracuse to the University is something all schools with a disconnect should do. 5. The study abroad opportunities are amazing! There are SO many options. I've been to France while I was here but my friends have been to Hong Kong, Thailand, Spain, Italy, South Africa, Morocco, Germany, Switzerland, Turkey, Kenya, Ghana, London and the list goes on! This school WANTS you to get that abroad experience and it changed the way I viewed my education. Favulty is willing to recommend you to go and funding for semester trips are easy and accessible, the summer it's a bit more difficult but faculty and even the chancellor is willing to help. 6. Campus is beautiful. It's indescribable the way I feel when I walk onto campus every August. It's really like falling in love again. Fall is my favorite season and SU has a great one, the campus has a lot of trees and beautiful architecture that my friends who go to other schools are always jealous of. Campus is even beautiful when it snows! One thing I know I'll miss about SU is the beautiful sunset that I get to see every evening. It's BREATHTAKING. 7. The school pushes you to be your best self and recognizes your accomplishments. Faculty, Students, Staff ...everyone. I love awards/recognition because it makes others feel appreciated. 8. The alumni network is RIDICULOUS. Syracuse University has AMAZING, INNOVATIVE, TRAILBLAZING, INTELLIGENT alum! And the alum are always coming back to help us! (Job opportunities, Career workshops, Speaking etc) 9. Social Life is awesome. There are a lot of concerts. I get to meet famous writers, actors, musicians etc for a very small fee. 10. SU Pride. It's everywhere. It's infectious. We are big on sports, we are big on research, we are big on scholarship, we are big on success. That's the pride of the Orange.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014