StudentsReview :: Syracuse University - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University

Oct 16 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm a freshman so I still have a long way to go, but since I've been here, I've had a really positive experience. One of the first things I did on campus was join the marching band, so I haven't had to worry about not having friends or feeling like I don't fit in (I can, however, see how others might feel that way. Some of our students are quite snobby).

The school offers a lot in terms of things to do on weekends and evenings. We will have guest lecturers come in, parties at the student center, bowling, and many other activities (most are posted through the Orange After Dark activities board). If people say there's nothing to do, they haven't been looking hard enough.

Most of my classes aren't too bad. They're easier than I expected, but that's just because high school prepared me well (and intro courses usually aren't very challenging anyway). There's a wide array of academic abilities in students, but that's ok. Teachers will make sure you understand the material and give you plenty of help before/after class and during office hours.I haven't experienced the winter here yet, but the fall has been very nice. The end of summer was really hot but it's cooled down substantially in the past few weeks. The trees are all gorgeous and the view from down by the dome or up by the apartments is breathtaking.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A, Collaboration/Competitive: C
Apr 09 2014Telecommunications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Not exaggerating when I say I owe my entire current professional life to what I learned at Syracuse. The communications school is a consensus top 3 nationally, and for good reason. They prepare you incredibly well for the professional world.Meanwhile, social life on the campus is top notch. I grew exponentially as a person in my 4 years at 'Cuse. It can't be beat. Go Orange.
Preparedness: A Reputation: A+
Feb 17 2014School of Information
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I've lived in Syracuse for over a decade, and now that I'm going to SU, and read the cities reviews, I had to make a comment. Seeing people rip on my city, and our school made me sad. Something you've got to learn around here is that if you aren't happy, if you aren't having fun, the issue is YOU. 140,000 permanent residents like it enough to stay. If you want you can rave at the Westcott, or the F Shed to a pretty great variety of music. On those rare days it's sunny enough drive out to Lake Oneida and hit the beach. Locals buy boats and yachts. Ski, snowboard in winter. Admittedly a 200 year old city that grew up on the Erie Canal, out of operation for around a century now, and was a center of the salt trade, back before refrigeration, may not be the best place to be a typicalalcoholic self obsessed student, but people with character really shine here.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I like SU. Some of the out of towners are stuck up and it's irritating hearing how it doesn't measure up, but most are pretty decent.Faculty is quality, is friendly, and available, so make the most of them.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016