StudentsReview ™ :: The School of Visual Arts - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Pratt Community College -- Pratt, KS
Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI

The School of Visual Arts

Nov 26 2007Video/Media

amazing school awesome facilities great programs

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+,

The school is all about the work you

Oct 07 2007Unknown
The school is all about the work you put in. Don't expect to just be given everything you need to succeed here without working for it. You can slack off and pass but the goal of the school is to encourage to find your own motivation outside of grades. It has it's downsides but it is a very unique school and is constantly improving. Between my first year and now I have seen it improve in leaps and bounds.

Go to this school if you are motivated, go somewhere else if you need to be told what to do to ambitious.I cannot account for other majors but I know my major is filled with very talented professionals teaching, many of whom I have known of or been a fan of before attending.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
University Resource Use: A+, Education Quality: B

I spent about two years at SVA in

Aug 23 2007Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I spent about two years at SVA in their advertising/graphic design departments and I will say that the first year advertising curriculm (in 2003-2004) taught me a lot, and was a very memorable and fun year. But the summer semester and fall semester I took when I transfered back was a joke. The "Design Lab" only has two color printers for the entire graphic design, advertising, and illustration departments, a large format printer, and four computers that occassionaly crash. There are a few computer labs but they are only equipped with b&w printers and are usually reserved for classes. Some of my teachers were recent graduates of SVA and were teaching to pay the rent, apparently what they had gone to school for was not bring in the cash. There are some well-known graphic designers and artist teaching there but their classes fill up very quickly and most of them didn't go to SVA (the most successful teacher was self-taught).I realized I was doing mostly busy work and shallow weekly projects; my work was actually getting worse the longer I was there and I found myself conforming to the teacher's design prefrences (a majority of students did this to get a higher grade). The last straw was when I enrolled in a book making class and every week the teacher had us sit in a circle and talk -not critics, just conversations- leaving about an hour to buy supplies, have lunch and do some half-assed projects completely unrelated to book making.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009