StudentsReview :: The School of Visual Arts - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Community College -- Pratt, KS
Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI

The School of Visual Arts

Dec 03 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc

save your money, I am. I'm leaving this shit hole after two years

If you want to work in the 3d/vfx

Nov 28 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
If you want to work in the 3d/vfx industry save yourself a couple of thousand dollars (over 100,000 dollars to be exact) and go to a public university to learn computer science or something computer related and on the side supplement yourselves with Gnomon or digital tutors. SVA is a joke. I talked with alumni from 2012 and 2006 and they both agreed that you can teach yourself everything but that at sva you learn aesthetics and you get pushed by others. Lets be honest you can learn aesthetics from a county college art class or by sharing online. And if you aren't self motivated and need others to push you then dont bother trying to be an artist. Compare your work with others online at CG society or AREA. And if you want to last in the industry just knowing how to use software, which is what the sva curriculum is based on you wont survive when the industry suddenly changes direction software wise. example Photoshop has been the go to tool for texturing, lets say someone went to SVA and took Photoshop classes for four years they graduate and then Mari comes out... Why did i say learn computer science? well 1. check the job postings at dreamworks, pixar, imageworks, see any animator, modeling, texturing, etc positions open? No the jobs that they are hiring for are TDs and software engineers. I guess ads from art institutes and similar quick career schools gave the regular Joe hopes of being in the industry. now the industry is flooded with people from art schools. also the programs are heavy on coding and if you know how to code and you keep being artistic on the side you'll def stand out. Im transferring out of SVA this spring. I mean if you have the money go to sva but get ready to compete with hundreds of working artist. I'll be learning computer science and I'll be learning 3d/vfx online. and if it doesn't work out in the 3d/vfx industry I'll have a degree that's worth something. Be smart read up on the industry you want to work in and dont let the flashy senior demo reels fool you, because the Alumni themselves have told that they've had to learn a lot on their own. and SVA IS FOR PROFIT, they are stingy with financial aid. I think they let in some bad artist this year so they can meet their debts. Cant emphasize enough, there are some bad artist here wasting their money.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: B, Individual Value: F

I never, ever write comments on any message

Mar 15 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I never, ever write comments on any message boards or anything like this. However, seeing some of the bad reviews really struck me as shocking. I understand that everyone is different and experiences the school, faculty and other students in a unique way, but I think some of these bad reviews are completely biased and undeserved.

I transferred to SVA to the computer arts program last semester and I am about to complete my first full year at the school. I'll start off by saying that I have learned more here in just several months than I have in my entire school career, including my past experience at another college. I am actually pleasantly surprised at how much I have improved. My friends and family have noticed and pointed it out often as well. All of the teachers I have had have pushed me to work hard, improve as well as to express myself through my art. They are also some of the coolest teachers I have ever had. They mostly all hold jobs outside of teaching at the school and I've even had a few already that were stoked to try to hook students up with internships. I'm not doubting that there are some faculty members that are not so great as a couple of the other reviews mentioned, but you're going to find that at ANY school. Check ratemyprofessor.com and ask around before you take any teacher for your class. The amount of home work isn't unbearable. I still have plenty of free time on the weekend to enjoy myself, but I will say that I am definitely kept busy during the week. It's something that should be expected with any good school to help you learn, however.

The only down sides about the school, in my opinion, is the expensive tuition and social life. My family and I don't have much money, honestly. I was able to come to SVA through the highest scholarship they offer, as well as help from financial aid. I would not recommend going to an expensive NYC school if you can not get in on a scholarship or if you don't have much money. Tuition plus housing is just too much to afford. Also, it is a bit hard to make good friends at first. I could not afford to live in the dorms (where many students meet/hang out), so I'm commuting from a cheaper area in Brooklyn. I've made friends in my classes and through out NYC just from going out in my spare time. New York is an awesome, eventful city. I have a lot more I could say about the school, but I'll leave it at that! I recommend SVA to anyone who can afford it, with scholarships or otherwise. So far, it has been an outstanding learning experience! :)

1st Year Male -- Class 2015