StudentsReview :: The School of Visual Arts - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI

The School of Visual Arts

Graduated YEARS ago from SVA

Jan 12 2012Art & Design Department
Graduated YEARS ago from SVA. I was a commuter student. I got there by 8am and didn't leave sometimes till 6 or 9pm. I worked part-time(freelance)on my off days. If you just change your mind set and realize that COLLEGE IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL then you'll get so much more out of SVA or any college. Figure out what you want and go for it! USE the teachers, facilities and make connections! If you're looking for hand holding or a campus life, city schools generally won't give you that. Also, regarding dorms being small and noisy. A studio apt. in the Upper West Side or the Village isn't any better! So, don't wait for things to happen. Just take advantage of the energy, talent & connections SVA and NYC has to offer. Don't be shy. Assert yourself for yourself. You'll go so much farther and be happier for it. Good Luck! And have a great time doing it!
4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B

I understand everyone is entitled to their own

Jan 05 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you asked us not to reply to others reviews, so I wont single any reviews out but I'm writing this for people that are honestly basing their school decisions on these reviews. It is my opinion that the negative reviews are not fair at all to this school and its teachers and I was really disappointed to read them. I found this link accidentally when I stumbled upon a revelation at work today while designing in Illustrator. I realized I have been practicing techniques I learned in Frank Young's Graphic Design Class in 2002-3...well its 2011 and I didnt realize it until today that one of the things he taught us that was "a fun exercise" I seriously use almost everyday at work. And I was looking him up to tell him and I got this link with these reviews and I wanted to scream reading the bad reviews. Perhaps some people took this school in completely the wrong way. Classes like Originality and Visual Literacy were GREAT! Your project was what YOU wanted but yet helping YOU figure it out on YOUR OWN. It was ALL about your own creativity! And finding what your own creativity really is and how to utilize it in your field. Its much more than what you came in with no matter how creative you think you are it can always go further. The unconventional methods WERE GREAT! Who wants to learn something different doing the same thing? This school did not AT ALL ask you to follow their ideas and not your own - everything was left up to you while teaching you and if you're all about doing what the teacher wants to get an A, well you dont get graded in business at work in As and Bs, I understand some teachers are harder or different than others, and you will get that at any school you go to. Design how you want while listening to them and learning in the process. Its not about the grade. Deal with it. If you wanted the A and didnt explore something you wanted in fear of it not being correct, then you lost something, but it was your choice. I took the C if I got one (rarely) and stood by my work and love my career. Yeah you get frustrated but every good and bad experience, grade, and teacher I had at this school prepared me for the real world of creativity. Trust me your boss and your clients aren't going to LOVE every single project you do. I did like 300 projects in 2010-11 at my current job(large and small - in my GD field) - you cant get 300 A's, nobody thinks the same as you or agrees with you 300 times. But, going back to SVA, mostly if you were there and on time and did the work you got As and Bs and it was great work to work on, great teachers and great classes. Yeah it was expensive....thats what loans are for. And what are we going to do with money in the next life anyways, its all about our experiences now. I live every moment to the fullest and they encourage you to do so. The course work is as challenging and as helpful as you make it. Period. I advise you take the time to make every project as best you can and you will have a beautiful portfolio with nothing to regret. My only regrets were the projects I did not have time to make as good as I could've or when I chose to use my time differently and not put it into that project. But those are MY regrets, nothing against the school and its teachers. I sincerely hope this helps people looking into this school and the teachers reading it that I loved my time at SVA and I have been in the field ever since and still explore new things....just got an airbrush & compressor and cant wait to figure out how to use it!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A, Campus Aesthetics: B

Well, what is left to be said about

May 16 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Well, what is left to be said about this school that hasn't been said about diarrhea. I'll still throw my two cents in the basket, although there are a bunch of reviews here that hit the same points I still feel I should reinforce.

In short, if your goal in life is to make art, use the money you'd waste on SVA to buy some art history books, learn some history and theory, and just engage in your own practice. I CANNOT EXPRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH I MEAN THIS! I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TELL ME THIS YEARS AGO!! SVA IS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY, but I will explain...

Wasting thousands, to get a completely useless degree is insanity, that I had the unfortunate idea of participating in myself. You go to this school, deal with all the depressed rich kids(it's hard having money and sitting around making crummy paintings), arrogant (think they are famous) teachers who are in reality failures, shop techs in all departments are also failed artists with attitudes, humanities classes that are below high school level etc. all for a degree that is completely and utterly useless.

Try going to interviews, in the real world, to get yourself any kind of gainful employment with this degree, best of luck. No one is willing to help graduates either, everything in the environment revolves around a pseudo-wealthy group of children who do each other favors and tell each other how great they all are. Think I'm full of it? Go to the school and see it yourself.

I just saved you four years of learning all this the hard way, the EXPENSIVE way.
Years later I've repaired my life, and my mind from the damage of the school and the people who work and attend it, and I have actually made myself a mufti-millionaire(no joke ha ha) though completely and totally unrelated to the school or anything having to do with it or my education. I had to rebuild one step at a time, and do it all on my own.

I now make art on my own time, and my own dime, for myself, and do what gives me satisfaction, not for the appearance or approval of vacant people.

If SVA taught me anything, its that the New York art world is an unbelievable mess of very affluent children, doing whatever they can to make their lives seem purposeful, and the majority of it has nothing to do with art, communicating ideas is completely secondary to being the latest and greatest nonsense to hit the market.(sidenote: if you are a mid-western or southern hipster, or even just some suburban kid who is the coolest kid at your particular middle of nowhere highschool, SVA is the best place for you to become the dirtiest preachiest most arrogant hipster, and gain that hipster stardom you've always desired. Seriously, come and move here and then tell people you meet you are "from" Brooklyn, just make sure the people you tell are other hipsters, and not any of us who are actually FROM here. All you dreams of being a vegan in the hottest band this week, who never showers and protests things that your parents make their money on will come true! You can act like trash, treat other people badly, and be the coolest kid to hit NYC. Just be careful, people on the fringes of your gentrification sprawl aren't too friendly to outsiders who drive up rent and cost of living prices, and they will rob you for your ipod and $5000 dollar track bike, but don't worry you can just go buy another.)Sorry for the personal rant, but if you come here, you will see exactly what I'm talking about on your first day.

Avoid at all costs would be my advice, as I said just take a 30k loan and use it to make a film, or a series of paintings, etc. Do your own thing, promote it if you want people to see it, and you will cut out 4 wasted years of garbage that somehow passes for "education".

Or even better alternative, go to business school, or some kind of educational pursuit that will fund your goals in art. Much better way to go, and there are a number of successful artists who have done this in the past.