StudentsReview :: The University of Rochester - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The University of Rochester

Rochester is for me, everything a school should

Sep 02 2011Mechanical Engineering
Rochester is for me, everything a school should be. Everyone here is friendly, as an incoming freshmen I feel welcomed by everyone, all the upperclassmen and professors are more than willing to bend over backwards to help you. On top of that we have great academic programs, professors are entertaining as well as knowledgeable, our extra curricular opportunities are amazing.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: B-

I think the University is an outstanding school

Aug 10 2011Economics
I think the University is an outstanding school for many of the students that attend. It is important to remember that if you do not have strong interests you should not attend the University of Rochester. The reason for this is is simple, there is no cirriculum at Rochester. There is little guidance for people that do not know what they want scholastically. Further, there are only some departments that are world class they are as follows: Economics, Political Science, Optics, Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The other departments at the school are average to below average.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

I like the structure of the Rochester curriculum

Jan 14 2012PreMed and Medical
I like the structure of the Rochester curriculum (good amount of freedom, but not a free-for-all; wide selection compared to other universities), and the university is quite intensive academically. However, I feel that the atmosphere radiated by the student body could be described as...disappointed. Many students here were also accepted into other prestigious universities (or at least applied to them), and feel that Rochester is just something they settled for. Soooo many people complain about the weather, the surrounding city, the amount of work required to even get by in their courses, etc. Honestly, if you are planning on being a science major here, you better be brilliant, or have amazing access to external resources. I would say that for the amount of work and time I put into my classes, I am not satisfied by the results (but then again, one could argue that maybe it's just me). The intensity of the school is well above its perceived prestige, and I have had many people ask me if the U of R is a public or SUNY school- quite depressing actually. Why should I work this hard only to get mediocre results, and then potentially have an employer see me as second rate among the dozens of other applicants from schools with a "bigger name"?
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012