StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Rochester - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The University of Rochester

Very difficult course work but top notch academics

May 01 2012Biology
Very difficult course work but top notch academics. The social life is obscenely bad now that the university is hunting Greek life to extinction. As someone involved in the student government, I have seen first hand the wasted tuition dollars and poor use of funds. Truly, the school does not care about its students. We are all just more money in their pockets. The food is bad, the weather is bad, the social life is bad. That being said, you WILL graduate here with a top notch education and a clear path to the graduate school. Take advantage of the research opportunities if you come here. I highly recommend you stay as far away as possible from this damn place however. Don't be another number in their ledger. I've been involved in multiple organizations on campus including sports, student government, and Greek life. My two years here have been miserably ever since administration started a witch hunt into Greek life and treating half the school as second class citizens. No one should be barred from speaking with their friends for months. Avoid at all cost, unless you only care about academics and are okay spending 4 years burried in a book.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

I like the structure of the Rochester curriculum

Jan 14 2012PreMed and Medical
I like the structure of the Rochester curriculum (good amount of freedom, but not a free-for-all; wide selection compared to other universities), and the university is quite intensive academically. However, I feel that the atmosphere radiated by the student body could be described as...disappointed. Many students here were also accepted into other prestigious universities (or at least applied to them), and feel that Rochester is just something they settled for. Soooo many people complain about the weather, the surrounding city, the amount of work required to even get by in their courses, etc. Honestly, if you are planning on being a science major here, you better be brilliant, or have amazing access to external resources. I would say that for the amount of work and time I put into my classes, I am not satisfied by the results (but then again, one could argue that maybe it's just me). The intensity of the school is well above its perceived prestige, and I have had many people ask me if the U of R is a public or SUNY school- quite depressing actually. Why should I work this hard only to get mediocre results, and then potentially have an employer see me as second rate among the dozens of other applicants from schools with a "bigger name"?
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Innovation: A, Social Life: D

Food is shitty and if you get to

Jul 24 2011Undecided
Food is shitty and if you get to lunch/dinner late you won't get anything because all the good things will be gone. I lived on lemonade and take out for a long time.

The city of Rochester is pure crap, so leaving campus is silly and not even an option.
It's HELLA hot in the summer; the dorms are mega stuffy.
I'm all for a challenge in school, but URoch overloads you with work. You won't have time for a life - or sleep - while you're here. I'm transferring and going back to civilization hopefully ASAP.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015