StudentsReview :: The University of Rochester - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The University of Rochester

Nov 17 2013Engineering Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The school is great and is very competitive. The biggest problem in regards to this school is financial aid. I feel as though they keep trying to take more and more. I discussed the issue with some of my friends and they have the same problem. The problem being that they give you a lot of financial aid to get you to choose Rochester, but year after year your financial aid from the school goes down and the tuition goes up. My family's income has recently taken a toll, and after discussing it with the school they didn't do anything about it. Also in mid-semester they decreased my financial aid and expected me to pay the result within a month. This is causing me many issues and they threaten to prevent you from attending the next semester if you don't pay it.In regards to classes, it all depends on the professor. There are great professor that will be very helpful and will gladly schedule time to meet with you individually. And there are those that aren't helpful. An instance is the professor I currently have that rarely gives out help because he is too involved in his research. Best thing to do is to find study buddies where you can help each other out.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: C-
Feb 14 2011Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
you work as if you in a top 50 school but when it comes down to job applications you judged as a unheard of state school. for $50,000 a year you dont receive an experiance value equal to it/
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: D+
Nov 27 2008Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The students here are great, and the atmosphere is great. Almost everyone is very friendly, and the student body is really diverse and cohesive. However, I am not happy with the computer science department. Between the friendly-but-pushy undergraduate liaison and the nutty professor that thinks he's amusing but really can't teach, I pretty much had a horrible academic experience in CS here. I would major in something else, but that's pretty much what I want to do. The result? I'm transferring. I really want to stay, but I can't deal with the CS classes. This is not true of all academic departments or all students, it's just my opinion. I would still recommend U of R to someone not interested in CS. It's really a great atmosphere to spend 4 years in, and I will miss it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2010