StudentsReview :: The University of Rochester - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 3
Males 5
Avg years at University 1.5
Research Quality B+ (7.3)
Research Availability B+ (7.9)
Research Funding B+ (7.7)
Graduate Politics B+ (8.0)
Errand Runners B (7.3)
Degree Completion A (8.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (7.8)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.9)
Competitiveness A- (8.2)
Education Quality B+ (8.0)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.4)
Useful Research A (9.0)
"Individual" treatment A (9.2)
Friendliness A- (8.6)
Safety B+ (7.6)
Campus Beauty A- (8.8)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.4)
University Resource/spending A- (8.5)
Extracurriculars B+ (8.0)
Success-Understanding A (9.0)
Surrounding City B- (5.9)
Social Life/Environment C+ (5.2)
Social Life/EnvironmentC+
"Individual" treatmentA
I entered a PhD program in the engineeringOct 03 2015Other
I entered a PhD program in the engineering program, but I never found funding in my specific research focus. None of the professors received enough approved grants to fund a new PhD student. When I tried to enter their cell biology lab, the professor balked at my lack of knowledge in this field. The preliminary exam was not even graded on merit, since other students in the same program passed it with glaring errors: conceptual misunderstandings of basic statistics in ANOVA and t-test, lack of independent thinking in journal critiques by paraphrasing other author's ideas, sloppy usage of English, etc. Do not go to this university, despite its rank, since it treats students as completely expendable and does not have a solution for its dire funding situation.
Great Department, Bad weather,Apr 20 2004English
Great Department, Bad weather, nice campus, cold, would recommend attending, make sure there is a Professor that you like before coming, they are friendly for the most part.
The University of Rochester is a good schoolApr 20 2004History/Histories (art history/etc.)
The University of Rochester is a good school to go and study History. The weather is not great, but being from New Jersey, I didn't expect it to be much better than my hometown. The students are friendly and the teachers are available to talk to you about your research. The second year of the Masters program is devoted to you writing a research paper and not taking classes (you take them all your first year.) There are good lectures and if you are accepted into the Masters program, they will fund half of your tuition. I'd say the only negative is that Masters students are not teaching assistants (only Ph.D students are) and they therefore can not receive stipends.
The Professors have no time for you andMar 23 2004History/Histories (art history/etc.)
The Professors have no time for you and are not helpful. There is definitely a divide between Masters students and PhD students, although everyone preaches that there isn't much of a division. Professor Hudson was the worst professor that I had in my whole academic career. I had much higher hopes for this school than what panned out. The weather is awful, I thought it would snow-but it snowed every day in January continuously. The people in the city are sketchy and there is absolutely nothing to do in the winter, except staying inside to avoid the freezing weather and cold temperatures. There are much better schools out there for Graduate study, I came here primarily because they gave me a great financial aid package. Really look for a Professor who you like and has the same interest as you, and really examine the school where he/she teaches extensively. On the positive side, the students for the most part are friendly and smart. But, if I didn't have my friends at home, I'd be pretty lonely here.
The best part of the Simon experience isDec 14 2003Business - Management and Administration
The best part of the Simon experience is the relentless pursuit of problem-solving from several different approaches. All my classes have been woven together to enable me to attack business problems with much more assertion than I previously could have prior to B-school. However, the program is very quantitative and extremely competitive, so be prepared for a rigorous two years. Business school is a mirror image of the real world in that you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to maximize your experience at Simon, you must be prepared to work hard and volunteer to take the lead on group projects.The Simon school is undergoing dramatic administrative and structural changes, all for the better. With an increased attention towards career services as well as the new facility, I am confident that the Simon school will compete for the most talented business school applicants. I applied to the Simon school due to the quantitative nature of the curriculum and the strong finance focus. Simon provided me with the interaction with top professors that any B-school student would want. Simon's economic approach to learning helps me analytically on a daily basis. Simon can compete academically with any business school. The combination of exceptional faculty and unlimited access should put the school on top of any candidate's short list. I would recommend Simon to anyone looking for a challenge and an excellent education.
Compare URochSave URoch

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→