StudentsReview :: Vassar College - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Wonderful school to developePhysics
Wonderful school to develope who you are. No frats, they are fluid cliques, always a place to fit in. Professors are excellent, make sure you get to know them. Vassar is definitely a place that you get multiple back, by what you put in. Students are creative and fun.
I wrote a review back in 2005, andSuper BrilliantGeography and Geosciences
I wrote a review back in 2005, and I've graduated now and have a better sense of my relationship to Vassar. People change over the course of four years. It seems that a lot of people come online to express discontent, and I want to advise prospective students that Vassar has a very expressive population... so take everything with a grain of salt! With regard to perceptions that the population is vapid, silly, and superficial, cattiness is definitely noticeable in underclassmen but it subsides with age! Also, it takes all kinds -- and there ARE many many genuine people out there.

At the end of the day, your Vassar experience depends on YOU. At the end of my four years, I came away with groups of friends that I can rely on, and I've learned and grown a lot. We've participated in each other's struggles. I don't know if it was my department in particular or if it was Vassar, but I entered Vassar wide-eyed and idealistic, and graduated more informed and still idealistic. It didn't jade me at all. This might speak more to my personality than some sort of "Vassar magic" but it's my general sense that my friends feel the same way, too.

Socially - if you're looking for a Greek scene, some of the sports teams (both male and female!) are the closest thing to it. Which makes sense... strong bonds, sense of brother/sister-hood.... beer pong..........

If that's really not your thing though -- and it definitely wasn't mine -- then there are many ways to create your own fun.

Also, I pretty much avoided the Mug except for 80s night. It was too hot and sweaty. FYI: the Mug is not the only place for dance parties. Dating wise, I think I had it pretty good. Contrary to popular belief, it's possible to be in a relationship while at Vassar! There's this perception that Vassar is a string of meaningless hookups that originate in the Mug or in the THs, OR that people who are dating tend to be "married", but I think people can and do outgrow this and settle into stable selves/relationships.

I'll admit that many things can be changed (i.e. the white normativity, the complacency of the general student body with regard to issues that don't concern them i.e. race/class) but I suppose these are issues at all colleges. It actually makes me kind of sad but some of the problems are so institutionalized that it's hard to make people unlearn things.

Ultimately, I'm very glad that I went to Vassar. Professors are wonderful and totally accessible, and my relationships with them have grown stronger throughout the course of the four years. Granted, I probably could have done without some of the intro classes, but everyone has to do them. I've had the chance to get involved in all sorts of things (varsity sports, music performance, publications, etc.) and I've had the opportunity to work closely with professors and with res life.

Just remember that sometimes it takes a couple of months or years to fall into these things. I wonder how people would describe Vassar if they returned to this site in two, three years' time... Also, I've grown to love Poughkeepsie. I stayed over the summer and there's so much to do! Vassar just started a campus shuttle that takes kids along Main Street and to the train station -- FOR FREE! It's a really exciting time at Vassar because Cappy's so new and open to change... so make the most of your time there. Fall in love with Sunset Lake (but don't fall in).

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B+
Coming here was like the best decision ISuper BrilliantEconomics
Coming here was like the best decision I ever made. Everything just seems perfect; the social life, academics, dorms.. Classes could be a little bit more demanding though. And it is not true that everyone is gay and no dating happens. Most people are straight and a lot of people have hook-ups and dates. To be honest though, if you're a guy, you might have some problems, because I always find my guy friends complaning about the girls. Vassar is a place where you can have a great and liberal college experience. Nothing you do at this campus is weird or unacceptable, so it's easy for everyone to blend in.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011