StudentsReview :: Wagner College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Wagner College

You either love Wagner or hate it.Quite BrightPerfomance Arts
You either love Wagner or hate it. There is really no in between. It has personally been a great school for me, but I'm also a Theater major, and we tend to get more attention from the school because of our program's reputation. The theater department is excellent and I've learned so much in such a short amount of time. My gen ed classes are pretty easy, but I also went to a very challenging high school. The food is definitely sub-par, but there's always something you can find to eat, and Wagner always does breakfast and desserts well. You won't starve. The commute to the city is not bad at all. There's a shuttle to the Staten Island ferry on campus that's free and it runs all day on the half hour. Most people go into the city once a week, more if they have the money to do so. The freshman dorms aren't terrible. Each floor has two private showers with seats and everything which is nice and if you are lucky, you may get a view of the Manhattan skyline. The newest dorm they built for upperclassmen is very nice and is only two years old.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+
I have really struggled with how I feelQuite BrightOther
I have really struggled with how I feel about Wagner College, but I think it really has been a mixed bag, and although I would NEVER choose to attend Wagner if I could go back and do it again, I still don't think that my years here have been a complete waste of time.

As other people have said, the majority of the student population are complete shitheads. There are tons more girls than dudes, most of the students are from NY or NJ (the guides, as others have mentioned), and if you're even slightly homophobic this is not the place for you. A lot of people leave on the weekends, unless they're going out to the city (which can be pretty expensive, so if you're strapped for cash it can be kind of difficult to participate in some of the more common social activities) and the dorm policies are definitely ENFORCED, especially in certain buildings. It's difficult (read: expensive) to live off campus, so that tends to be pretty rare.

That being said, you can find some good, intelligent people at Wagner. A lot of students really benefit from joining Greek life, it wasn't for me but I know plenty of kids who totally turned their experience around by joining a frat or sorority.

Also, I do think that I got a pretty good education here. It wasn't the most challenging in terms of grades, but you can get a lot out of your classes if you actually work hard at understanding the material. I have tons of respect for many of my professors, and I love that I have been able to form such close relationships with faculty, which would never have been possible at a larger school. I also know plenty of people who attain their post-graduate goals (med school, grad school, etc.), but you do have to WORK at it. I see so many students complaining about how terrible the education is when they don't even come to class. The internship opportunities are fantastic, which is a huge advantage in this job market.

What makes this school truly terrible though, is how much it feels like a scam. I'm not going to claim to know what Wagner's financial situation exactly is (although I'm sure I could find out if I felt like it), but it is true that they work really hard on getting students there, throw a bunch of scholarship money at them (which really only makes it cost a little less than straight up grand theft), and then make it impossible for students to ever leave. The learning communities and the non-conventional credit system makes transferring difficult if you want to graduate in five years. The general upkeep of the dorms and quality of the food is severely lacking, but if you know who to talk to you can get pretty much anything done, one thing about Wagner is that you know your voice is always heard.

I do know some people who have really loved it here, and while I personally am not a huge fan of this school, it is the right place for some people. Just make sure you visit and really know what you're getting into. TL;DR Community is pretty terrible, but salvageable. Academics are so-so, but can be adequate. Administration is completely corrupt and the facilities are bad, but if you work at it and know who to talk to you can get almost anything done.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D
This school is honestly crap.Quite BrightMusic - Performance
This school is honestly crap... It's more of a business than a university. I'm a first year student and I'm transferring as soon as possible. If you're looking at this school for theatre, I'd say it's worth it to at least look at it, but we haven't got a pit or band/orchestra.

It's kind of ridiculous. It's a pretty campus, but that's where our money goes. The most caring people on campus are the public safety officers, but they're the only thing positive, honestly.

JUST DON'T GO HERE.I am so unhappy. Read the other reviews and I agree with pretty much all of them; I don't want to reiterate too much.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016